The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

So I obviously didn't pick the thing up; we had them up north too so I know what it was and knew to stay faaaar away from it. Moved it by flipping a rubbermaid over it and dragging it. But, it was twice the size of my cat and she's 10lbs. It was definitely bigger than a dinner plate; probably along the lines of a large serving dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Your happy wanderer is definitely a female.
    This is what my SO and I decided after a little bit of research. She may actually have gotten caught inside my dog fence trying to get from somewhere else to my pond.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    32 bites? Galapagos tortoise sized? Devoured all the fish and the goslings - you're lucky it didn't grab the cat too! Count me out, I don't feel that bummed anymore!
    Hilarious you say that, because when I saw her, I didn't think she was that big because I just got back from a trip to the Galapagos, playing with the tortoises. So seeing a "little" 20lb turtle made me go "pssssht. That's nothing, someone get me a bin".
    But I do hope she eats some of the fish in my pond before moving on... they're kicking up all the dirt/silt and making it a muddy mess.

If you ever want waterfowl (domestic or wild) , the babies will immediately be lunch for the turtle. If you do, I'd relocate the bugger. If not, he's probably fine where he is.
    "If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around." –Will Rogers

And if you relocate it, take it at least 3 miles away...they tend to "home".

I'm calling foul on the 4 foot long snapper, the largest on record of a regular snapper that I can find is 18.5" long. Alligator snappers are bigger, but not by that much.
    Last edited by Sabino; Mar. 14, 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: rewording

Apart from those posts about people who eat turtles, (!) I'm glad to read that there is not a chorus to euthanize it! Thank you. We have to try and make way for these examples of wildlife in our built-up land.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

my vet had a client with Dexters that she had to treat for turtle bites on their udders (they would wade in the pond during hot weather)
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Since alligator snapping turtles AVERAGE 26" in length & 175 lbs, I wouldn't rule anything out . I am not sure where the measurements are taken, either. The height of the top shell & the spikes & the attitude of the alligator snapping turtles probably adds a little extra to the perception of size.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...apping-turtle/

Living on the beach, we had some sea turtle experiences -- and they are huge, but not scary at all. Maybe it's the "kind eye" thing. The alligator snapping turtle may also have a kind eye -- hidden by its giant maw
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabino View Post
    I'm calling foul on the 4 foot long snapper, the largest on record of a regular snapper that I can find is 18.5" long. Alligator snappers are bigger, but not by that much.
    You are right, I was looking at the 1' tile on the floor and 4' is very big.
    We may be off on the real size, but they sure look big swimming out there in a pond.

None of us has walked out and measured one, but that huge one in our neighbors looked like it was "very large".

So we are on our 17H Hungarian Holsteiner crosses first trail ride....

Things are going well we are making our way back across a water crossing that is flowing pretty quickly and about 2 feet deep. We are standing there as we see a snapper floating lazily along with the current, heading directly towards my wife and you know who on his first trail ride. With inches to spare the not so little reptile passes directly underneath and out the other side. I can only imagine the explosion that was averted and ensuing mental trauma and water phobia.

We still laugh about it every time we cross that creek.

2 members found this post helpful.

We have snappers on our farm, they pass through time to time. We look forward to it. We also help them cross the road, when needed. It is importantant to put them across the road in their direction of travel, or else they will just start all over again. We are surounded by swamps and a river, farms been in the family for years and we have never had a problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    We have snappers on our farm, they pass through time to time. We look forward to it. We also help them cross the road, when needed. It is importantant to put them across the road in their direction of travel, or else they will just start all over again. We are surounded by swamps and a river, farms been in the family for years and we have never had a problem with them.
    I was raised in a family where we ALWAYS stopped to help a turtle cross the road, but I have never run into an alligator snapping turtle during my turtle rescues -- except for the gigantic accordian necked one in my husband's work parking lot. My turtle/tortoise road rescues have been box turtles, sliders, and gopher tortoises; and they seem to appreciate the assistance

Sadly, there are people who not only don't stop - they go out of their way to hit turtles (Note- they used fake turtles, so no animals were harmed)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2371485.html

The video where the guy also puts out rubber snakes and a rubber tarantula are interesting.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Tales aside, no, the snapping turtle is not a threat. Leave them alone, they live you alone. I work in streams and rivers and do snorkel/SCUBA surveys all the time; over years, I have encountered many and am always glad to see them, they are fascinating! But they just do their thing and you've nothing to worry about unless you feel the need to lay on one and embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    I was raised in a family where we ALWAYS stopped to help a turtle cross the road, but I have never run into an alligator snapping turtle during my turtle rescues -- except for the gigantic accordian necked one in my husband's work parking lot. My turtle/tortoise road rescues have been box turtles, sliders, and gopher tortoises; and they seem to appreciate the assistance

Sadly, there are people who not only don't stop - they go out of their way to hit turtles (Note- they used fake turtles, so no animals were harmed)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2371485.html

The video where the guy also puts out rubber snakes and a rubber tarantula are interesting.
    Doesn't that just piss the whizz out of you???? It does me. I too was raised by parents who ALWAYS stopped to help turtles across the road. Something hubby & I continue to do to this day. (Although hubby claims it's only a matter of time before I'm picked off by oncoming traffic.)

I mean honestly - how can you hit a turtle. Did it "run out in front of you"??? Did it just "look like a rock, & you have no problem running over rocks?". I mean what - please tell me? Okay - I'll tell you. You're too friggin busy talking or texting on your stupid-ass phone, or doing something else that's taking your eyes off the road where they belong. I guess one should be happy you're just running over turtles & not children.

I won't go into the people who run over turtles (or snakes, or other wildlife) on purpose. Those sociopaths aren't worth comment.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have 2 ponds. I have (had) domestic ducks who I just loved.

I lost a few to them, even though I was getting them out. The big ones actually took down an adult, big Indian Runner hen, who I had named "Stretch". Luckily 37 stitches from the vet and she recovered.

While I continued to trap and (not easy), I gave up as they migrate.

I've always stopped for turtles on the road (especially box turtles, my favorites). I've loved turtles and snakes since I was a little girl.

I stopped having ducks when the last of mine died (he was 17!), so I don't have that worry now. But I sure do miss having them. Hours of funniness.

The snappers won. They are prehistoric.

Bacardi- When I get my "Take time for turtles" bumper sticker made- I'll print an extra one up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    Bacardi- When I get my "Take time for turtles" bumper sticker made- I'll print an extra one up for you.
    LOL!!!! Do ya think that will stop someone from running me down? LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    Make another "I brake for turtles".

Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hill View Post
    I once had a gelding who loved to swim and relax in the pond at the barn where we boarded. One day I heard this godawful screaming from the horse and as I tore out of the barn I saw him racing out of the pond with snapping turtles still clinging to him. He finally lost the last one as he raced around like a maniac.... when I finally was able to catch and calm him, I found that he had 32 bites on his legs, most of which were non-threatening. One bite however was very deep and right on the point of his elbow. I called the vet out immediately and we treated him, but it took a really long time for him to heal. I'd opt for removing Mr. Turtle for the safety of your animals.
    Dear god!

There actually is a highway in my area that has a "Brake for Turtles" sign. I think that's cool.

I did once see someone trying to deter a huge snapper from crossing the road. (Rt. 7 if you're in the DC area) It's a busy highway, and I don't know where it came from, but was sure to get squished.

It was pretty funny though because the turtle didn't want any "help" and the guy kept having to jump out of the way. Last I saw it was biting the handle of the broom that was being used to herd it in the right direction!

I often see snappers emerging from the edge of the woods and heading over to the neighbor's pond. As far as a danger to horses, I'd rank them below a deflated birthday balloon lying on the ground.

Once in water snappers tend not to be aggressive if disturbed. I read up on this after seeing a snapper ensconce itself in the mud in one of the ditches I was working in planting pickerelweed. I still have both feet so I believe the sources were correct.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the turtle(s) I've seen here was a 20 pounder. However since I didn't weigh her I can't be sure.