The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Lanthan stallions in the US?

Who has any of his offspring?
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    I wish. That sireline (Der Loewe xx) is pretty much extinct.

I think Celle still has some frozen from Lanthan. Why don't you make one? ;-)
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

The (now retired) stallion, Lomber, owned by the RCMP is a son of Lanthan.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/lomber3

He is still at the RCMP breeding farm in Pakenham, ON, but he is now 25 and is no longer breeding, and sadly the RCMP stallions are not available for outside breeding. The RCMP produced a number of young horses by this stallion, but none of his colts ended up as stallions. I haven't personally seen/worked with any Lomber babies other than attending the auctions and seeing the Lombers that were sold in the auctions, but I do have a friend who has worked with a number of them, and I am told they tend to be good tempered horses. I'm not sure what Lomber produced in Germany before he was imported.

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Autumn Hill Farm is correct (of course). Although, the Der Lowe line remains quite strong in the dam lines of some very popular N. American stallions, e.g. Werbellin (Legat dam sire,through Lanthan, to Der Lowe), Contucci (Lungau dam sire 3 generations from Der Lowe), Sir Wanabi (Lortzing dam sire 4 generations from Der Lowe), and Wolkentanz II (Ludendorf dam sire 3 generations from Der Lowe), and also is the dam line for many very successful GP dressage competitors, including Brentina, Salinero, and Satchmo.

oh, do I love COTH forums...so affirming...I'm considering breeding a Lanthan line mare this spring (by Samthan which united Samber with Lanthan). Would love to hear more about Lanthan.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    Autumn Hill Farm is correct (of course). Although, the Der Lowe line remains quite strong in the dam lines of some very popular N. American stallions, e.g. Werbellin (Legat dam sire,through Lanthan, to Der Lowe), Contucci (Lungau dam sire 3 generations from Der Lowe), Sir Wanabi (Lortzing dam sire 4 generations from Der Lowe), and Wolkentanz II (Ludendorf dam sire 3 generations from Der Lowe), and also is the dam line for many very successful GP dressage competitors, including Brentina, Salinero, and Satchmo.
    Not a Lanthan son, but Letkiss was an approved Lungau son standing in NA. He passed last year at age 27 - don't know if Hilton Farm ever collected him for frozen.

I saw that you can still get Lanthan straws here in the US from one of the semen brokers...it was under $500 per dose? I'm pretty sure it was superior sires...I looked at 3 sites yesterday so it's: Carol Yancey, Ann Graves or Carol @ SVS? and no, I do not make a commission...ha ha