The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Most things I don't keep, but I still have my late gelding's leather halter with his name plate as well as his saddle which, being narrow, will probably never fit anything else I own, but I can't make myself get rid of it. The halter hangs near my trophies and ribbons, the saddle just sits in the tack room for now.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

1 members found this post helpful.

I have two police horse bridles w/bits that were given to my mom in the early 60s. My dad was on the force and these belonged to one of his mounted unit friends. Those would be the only pieces of 'sentimental' tack that I have. I do, however, have the leather collars with ID tags from all of my past dogs. They are displayed with their individual pictures/urns (kind of strange, I know).
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

I have my first horse's bridles, hedstalls only, stamped Crosby USET. I would like to get them restored and mounted but right now they are in a bag.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Keep it! and Keep it!, and Keep it! til one day when you wonder what ever someone would have to face with a your "Keep its" if you are no longer there.

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I have my first horse's bridles, hedstalls only, stamped Crosby USET. I would like to get them restored and mounted but right now they are in a bag.
    Oh, wow--I have a Crosby USET bridle, too. I bought it used in 1979. I still use mine!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have never owned my own horse so have just about everything just in case it will work on the next horse I would lease (and hopefully will lease or buy in the future). This means that I still have tack that was purchased in the early 90s. It's still usable and in good condition.

I did keep one of my former pony's bridles and my father's saddle for sentimental reasons. The bridle could possibly go someday but it will be hard for me to part with the saddle. My father learned to ride with it as an adult and passed it on to me when I was a teenager and needed a bigger saddle. He passed away when I was 21 and I like having something that we both used while doing something we loved. My mom kept his polo helmet and I'm glad she did: it will be at my wedding this fall so that a part of him will be there, too.
    Last edited by mcm7780; Mar. 13, 2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added something
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

Oberon, that is very sweet. It is nice that so many other horse owners feel so strongly about their horses. I've had many through the years, and I still have my first saddle, circa 1970 and something I've kept from every horse I've owned. I love it when I unexpectedly come across something in a tack box that brings back a happy memory of one of my horses.

My first saddle...a Seigfried that I lusted after for months My mother bought it for me 4 months after my parents bought me my first horse. I remember getting the 'Deluxe Saddlery Catalogue" at least a year before first horse and when I did not fall asleep looking at pictures of horses, I fell asleep looking at that catalogue. Mom and Dad said that they could not afford the horse ($600) plus the saddle ($260 less fittings) at the same time. While preparing for some Hunter Trials, I mentioned to my mother that I hoped the saddle with knee rolls would be available for the HT as I had to gallup down a hill and the knee rolls would add security. She surprised me with the saddle the next day....she wanted me to have those knee rolls!! This was 1965. The saddle is still very usable.

I have learned two things on this thread-- 1)COTHers have some really neat older, sentimental tack and 2)buy a Stubben. I am impressed with the ages of some of these older saddles that are still in use!

I am looking at my first saddle right now: it's on a display shelf in my bedroom. It technically is still usable but I don't want to use it anymore! Crosby Prix de Nations, ca. 1984, bought used by me in 1989. At the time I wasn't even riding but this was my "dream saddle" and a steal, so I snapped it up. To my chagrin I found out when I did return to riding in 1999 that flat saddles were OUT. Not to mention, darn hard! (I had never noticed when I was riding in a borrowed PDN as a teen) But I will never part with it as it was a fulfillment of one horsey dream... I still have to get the horse, alas.

You can do some neat things with used tack. Bits look great in wreath floral arrangements, and old leather reins can be used for all sorts of accent pieces. Stirrups can hold decorative towels, etc. I am not that crafty but have seen some very pretty peices done with old tack, and it's a nice way to hang on to those centimental pieces.
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

I don't keep broken tack and equipment, but everything else that has a sentimental value stays, such as foal sized halters, racing plates, child sized chaps, etc.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Someone out there has a use for these old items. We have friends that had bar stools made out of saddles. ( a little difficult if you came with a jean skirt on!). But if you search long enough I bet you will find a buyer. Or donate safe items to a therapeutic horse program.

I freely admit that I am a pack rat, and I have a trunk full of old leather parts of things and complete things. Bridles, bridle parts, reins, bits, stirrups, etc. Girths of all sizes. Breastplates, martingales, you name it, if it was used for balance seat riding any time in the last 40 years I probably have it. I have old blankets too, and just canabalized one to fix an old Baker I found on Craigslist. I often find I can use parts to fix things, or have a need for something unusual. I was very popular in Pony Club when the kids were studying for quiz. Seriously. I don't have an Irish Martingale, though, still keeping my eyes open for one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I have learned two things on this thread-- 1)COTHers have some really neat older, sentimental tack and 2)buy a Stubben. I am impressed with the ages of some of these older saddles that are still in use!
    The Stubben Portos that I bought in 1978 is, as far as I know, still being used. Several years ago I gave it to a friend for one of his 4-H kids after I finally accepted that I needed to stop trying to fit my fat old lady a$$ into a saddle that I bought as a trim college student. I was continually amazed at the way it maintained its condition over the years.

It depends.

I have my very first bridle hanging on the wall in my living room under my old geldings stall plate and year end award. I also have my first ponys halter and the bridle she wore later in life that was given to me when she passed away, hanging on a wall underneith a framed picture of her. Both hang from lovely brass hooks on either side of my ribbon quilt.

I still have another geldings leather show halter and name plate tucked into a keepsake box with his saddle pad along with the thread that was on CoTH the day I lost him.

Other than that, it all finds a new home as long as its still safe and useable.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

The too-small stirrup irons from the first saddle (vintage 40s?) my dad gave me in 1962 have a place of honor on my bookshelf. I never could get them shined up, despite hours of trying with multiple products and lots of elbow grease. Now I love that vintage patina--and the memories associated with those irons.

I have my first pony's halter with her name plate on it and a variety of other stuff. 30 year old Passier I still ride in and love. Ancient Rex the kids ride in.

I buried my last mare with her good halter on. As much as I love my new mare and the others I have now, no horse will ever be her. I wrote a eulogy of sorts explaining who this mare was should ever be unearthed a thousand years from now. She was so special she deserved to keep her nice halter.

Oh - old reins make great dog leads and collars; purse straps and belts if you're really clever.

I have a saddle on a saddle rack in the house. It is somewhat useable but it's a neat old saddle and gets to be in the climate controlled house anyway. It's an old Colorado Saddlery western saddle from the early 1900s. It worked great on my first horse because she had a bit of a sway and the old timey saddles fit her better.

I still have my first pair of tall boots on display in my living room. I was maybe in 7th grade and sold Christmas cards in the summer to buy them. All of $35.00. I have my vintage (60's) Stubben Tristan dressage saddle that I earned my USDF Bronze on, plus some Silver scores. I also have baby halters from 2 homebreds I've had plus those from dearly departed friends. The halters hang on the beams in my Great Room and the saddle remains in my tack room.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"