The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile What do you do with non-useable, but sentimental tack?

Just curious what other COTHers do with tack that is no longer fit for its original purpose, but you keep it because of the sentimental value.

I have my first saddle on a stand in one of the rooms of my house. The panels are foam and pretty much rock-hard at this point, but I could just not get rid of it. It was also the saddle of the horse I rode through most of my kid and teenage years, who passed away at the ripe old age of 30. So it's a saddle with a lot of memories!

How about you? Do you keep saddles, bridles, halters, etc, that don't have much use anymore, but have a lot of sentimental value?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Yes. I have the first english saddle I ever rode in. It's unusable but I hate to get rid of it because of the memories involved. I keep thinking I'll turn it into a bar stool or something - but so far, it's still taking up space in the tack room.

I don't.

If it's not useful out it goes.

I recently got rid of an Albion dressage saddle. I very much liked riding in the saddle and had used it on a training horse in the morning, the saddle fitter came to adjust it to my personal horse in the afternoon, and when it was determined that a new saddle would fit my developing horse better, it left on the truck out the driveway for trade-in that day. Sayonara, didn't look back.

1 members found this post helpful.

No, eventually I toss it out. No wait, I have to make an exception for a pair of stirrups, the old nickel silver kind. I keep those, they are great bookends.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

OP, I feel your pain and deal with the same thing! The Stubben Wotan I bought brand new in 1976 has been sitting in our garage for about 19 years because.I.can't.bear.to.part.with.it. but I don't want it taking up space in my tackroom. At this point I should see if a riding program could use it in some way. Hate to admit it but I no longer fit into a 16.5" seat either.....

I have moved so many times that sentimental stuff just looks like more things to pack to me, so I get rid of everything that doesn't have a function. I have a small rubbermaid shoebox that all my sentimental items must fit into. Tack won't fit!!

The saddle my dad bought me in 1986 sits in my garage waiting for the day that I buy a nice saddle rack so it can be used as a decoration in the house. No way will I part with that saddle, even though it is so wide I think it was designed for an elephant. Aside from that, I use everything else or sell it. I use my bridles on everything that I own and ride so no one ever really has their own that is assigned to only them. I know too many people with a half dozen beautiful bridles sitting unused because they belonged to this or that dearly departed horse. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not something I wish to do.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    OP, I feel your pain and deal with the same thing! The Stubben Wotan I bought brand new in 1976 has been sitting in our garage for about 19 years because.I.can't.bear.to.part.with.it. but I don't want it taking up space in my tackroom. At this point I should see if a riding program could use it in some way. Hate to admit it but I no longer fit into a 16.5" seat either.....
    Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat! I don't think my saddle would even be fit for a riding program, it's so hard on the underside and I've heard replacing foam flocking is really expensive.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I don't usually keep equipment once it has outlived its usefulness. However, I do keep small things: halter nameplates (those go on a picture frame of the horse it belonged to), and one shoe from each young horse's first set (which gets made into a picture frame).

2 members found this post helpful.

I still have the brush I used to groom my first horse for the last time the day he was euthanized (I had gotten him as a birthday present on my 13th birthday...and he died the week after my 31st birthday). It has his hair in it, so I refuse to use it or clean it. It's in a plastic tote with other assorted objects, so it's out of the way. But, when I go searching for that neck strap or bit or extra hoof pick, and I happen to come across this brush, it's comforting...and sad...and wonderful...and all that.

4 members found this post helpful.

I've got my 70's Stubben that I evented in , sitting on a lovely oak rack in my bedroom. The bridles, one with a drop nose, snaffle and those 1 inch lace reins...and the pelham bridle with Crosby rolled,web reins for cross country, hanging on either end of my dresser mirror. The halter and name plate, with leather lead shank , hangs on a brass bridle rack I bought from Dovers.

I put my first horse's bridle in a shadow box. My second horse's halter will eventually go into a shadow box too. Other than that I don't have much. A couple of worn out bridles in a box.

I did hang onto my first horse's saddle for several years, but it was never going to fit either of my next two horses. When a friend said she was going to look for a saddle like the one I had I offered it to her, it fit and she bought it.

My geldings bridle still hangs in the tack room. He was my first horse...I got him when I was 11 and he was 4 and we were together for 26 years. He died at age 30 about a year and a half ago. His bridle is far too big for the two Morgans I have now so it will hang in the tack room on the same hook it always did.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have a black western saddle in my attic that my grandfather bought for me and my first horse in 1963. It is totally useless at this point, but I can't bring myself to throw it out. That just seems wrong somehow - in spite of the fact that I quit using it after getting a few years' showing experience under my belt and realizing that it wasn't show worthy. I guess I'll tell my sons to bury the damn thing with me!

I kept one bridle from the late 70s. I still use it as my regular bridle although I had to replace the rubber reins and the dropped nose band.

My Stubben Siegfried that I bought used in 1979 I still use every time I ride.

My childhood Stubben Rex I kept out of sentiment. My daughter used it, and when she outgrew it, I lent it to my BO who uses it for lessons when she has a tiny beginner. That saddle is close to 50 years old.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    My childhood Stubben Rex I kept out of sentiment. My daughter used it, and when she outgrew it, I lent it to my BO who uses it for lessons when she has a tiny beginner. That saddle is close to 50 years old.

I wish I had kept mine...but I was young, broke (not much has changed!), and couldn't buy a new one till the Rex got sold. Best saddle ever.

I have my first pony Metro's bridle and snaffle, and I kept a few things when I sold everything and got out of horses. Kept a bit, Boomer's leather halter, his nice fleece show cooler, and a few books/misc things. I also kept my helmet, boots, and a couple pairs of breeches. Just in case

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I don't usually keep equipment once it has outlived its usefulness. However, I do keep small things: halter nameplates (those go on a picture frame of the horse it belonged to), and one shoe from each young horse's first set (which gets made into a picture frame).
    What great ideas! We have all the old halters with nameplates hanging on one wall of the tack room. I love the idea of using them on a picture frame. The nameplates, that is.

I'm not sentimental at all about tack. If I can't use it anymore it gets sold or donated. Over the years I've donated one saddle to a equine therapy program and another to a 4-H program and sold several others.

However, I do have a WWI vintage cavalry saddle on a handmade walnut stand sitting in a corner in my office. I look at it as being the same as displaying a work of art. It's a great conversation piece.

I'm not sentimental about saddles at all. I kept my first pony's bridle because she didn't have a fancy halter. But I've got the second one's leather halter with name plate in my bedroom. It's just one of those things that I like to have. The picture frame idea is a great one!

I have my filly's first real set of shoes.
    I have my show chaps from high school. Not worth selling and have great sentimental value
    I have my last QH's custom saddle. I don't want to sell it and don't plan to. It's just in the tack room like I still owned him.