The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What trailer?

I have an 88 FS 4X4 Bronco with the biggest engine they put in it. Bronco is is good shape with less than a hundred thousand miles on it, but it's getting up in the 90's, so that wont last.

I WAS going to get a class 3 equalizer hitch put on it, then go look for a horse trailer. Called the U-Haul people to get a bid on a hitch, and they told me that the Bronco was only rated up to 6000 lbs.

Is it possible to get a horse trailer for this thing that will do the job? I own one horse - an ASB mare. If I were to haul for friends, they will have probably WBs or TWHs. (I sort of have a foot in both worlds - western trail and english).

Is there any trailer that the Bronco could pull? Or do I need to look for a new truck? If so, what kind? I suppose a 2 horse slant is out?

All help appreciated!

If the Bronco is only rated for 6,000 lbs. and you plan to haul 2 horses, even small ones, you can figure at least 2,000 lbs of horses; That leaves you only 4,000 lbs for the trailer and anything else you'd put in it. That's not much especially if by western trail you're talking trail riding and potentially being away from home for a few days.

My advice: Buy (or borrow) the book The Complete Guide to Buying, Servicing and Maintaining a Horse Trailer by Neva and Thomas Shreve (Amazon sells it). It will tell you all you need to know about compatibility of tow vehicles and trailers, plus give you pros and cons of all different trailer types.

If you plan to do much trailering at all, I'm thinking you would be better off looking for a new truck so you could consider more trailer options. As for a 2-horse slant, I have one (GN) and absolutely love it, especially the rear tack so I can keep horse stuff organized in one spot. But while slants work great for small to mid-size horses, some big horses don't like them; their stall length is constrained by the trailer width. Also if you do look at slants be sure to compare the stall width; it varies with brand.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

None. The wheelbase is way too short on a Bronco to safely haul a horse trailer.
    <flamesuit on>
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

6 members found this post helpful.

I have a friend who pulled a 2 horse bumper pull straight load with a dressing roam for years with no problems. She did use a weight distributing hitch and only hauled one horse, but she used that set up for close to 10 years.

As always, it's not just the ability of the vehicle to pull a load... it's the ability to stabilize the load - especialy Live Weight. Also, the transmission must be able to handle the load placed on it under stress (going up hill). The Bronco cannot handle live load weight stabilization, nor can its tranny.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

3 members found this post helpful.

The Bronco would have the same tranny as an F150 as well as engine and rear axle ratio. I used the same set up in a '90 F150 with no issues pulling, stopping or stabilizing a load. The only difference would be the wheel base of the Bronco. With the correct hitch and brake box, it can be done safely!

Cool and flat you might squeak by for short distances but I would test the trailer brakes each time you set out and stay off the interstate. It's risky, way less than optimal.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

get a used brenderup or one of those newer trailers like brenderup (can't remember the name right now, fautras?) and you'll be fine. Bonus is it has its own brakes.

3 members found this post helpful.

I know you probably don't want to hear this as you are probably at a point in your life where you really need to haul independently, but don't skimp. Wait, save the $ and get a tough half or three quarter ton and a safe trailer. Light BP trailers are not optimal, and neither is the vehicle you want to use. Together, IMO that is too much of a risk. Don't waste your $ on something unsafe, you won't regret waiting in the end.

Good luck

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you everyone.

What I was thinking of, was to be able to take Holly to other trails around town. She is generally boarded near a trailhead that we can just ride to. Phoenix is a big hiking city, and there are hundreds of trails, within the city limits in the mountain preserves, and many of them are rated ok for horses. Also, with the issues around her recent medical troubles I posted elsewhere on COTH ( eye scratch, colic and bone chip surgery), I started thinking that I wanted to be able to get her to the hospital on a moment's notice without having to get a friend out of bed or away from work.. But, since I posted the beginning of this thread, and having some of you talk about hills, I have wondered about how she would do upcountry.

Hmmmmm....

Holly will just leap into a slant load trailer. B hauled her for me after the surgery. I couldn't be there for the haul (work). She said that Holly was trying to get into the trailer even before she had both doors open!! (GET ME OUTTA' HERE!!!!) But D and I hauled her to the hospital in a straight load, and it was a real job getting her into it. So I had hoped I could get a two-horse slant for a "reasonable" price and that the Bronco would do it.

It seems that it may work with a small straight load, but mostly probably not. When I was younger I had a boat, and pulled that, but am a real newbie to hauling horses.

I would hate to have ANYTHING happen to Holly.

Yes. I have it bad for her.. but B says that's not a bad thing.

So I will postpone my trailer purchasing, and truck adapting for now. I have ordered the book from Amazon and when it arrives, start packing my noggin' with words on trailers. I went looking at trucks the other day, and all of them were so HUGE, but I may need to adjust my expectations..

Thanks again!

1 members found this post helpful.

You have chosen wisely grasshopper
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

to repeat, you have chosen wisely grasshopper!

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    None. The wheelbase is way too short on a Bronco to safely haul a horse trailer.
    <flamesuit on>
    Absolutely.

Haters, get a wider flame-thrower.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Lightbulb Great Book!

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    My advice: Buy (or borrow) the book The Complete Guide to Buying, Servicing and Maintaining a Horse Trailer by Neva and Thomas Shreve (Amazon sells it). It will tell you all you need to know about compatibility of tow vehicles and trailers, plus give you pros and cons of all different trailer types.
    It came a few days ago. This book is such an education! I've only started it and I already am being shown where my previous ideas were wrong, and why.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    The only difference would be the wheel base of the Bronco. With the correct hitch and brake box, it can be done safely!
    Till it can't and your horse is dead. Check your physics on that "only" difference and its effect. Yes, I know I'm banging my head against a wall, but it's already calloused, LOL.

Good choice, OP and you won't regret it. I hauled for a while with an old Expedition and a Tahoe, both longer and heavier than the Bronco. I was very careful and only ever hauled one horse, but now that I traded in for a used diesel F250, I realize the massive difference and I will never go back. Had I known then what I know now, I would have saved myself the maintenance money on the smaller engines and just bought the proper truck in the first place, but hindsight....