The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Each boarder in my barn paid a guy to bird proof each stall & tack room with chicken wire. It looks like you could run it along the bottom of your highest beams...it works great but it will collect dust over time and won't look as nice as your gorgeous barn.

How about hanging CDs along the doors?
    Or these on the beam (they have them at airports)
    http://www.birdbgone.com/products/bi...FetAMgodI3YAoQ
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I asked about feedback from anyone who used bird spikes a few weeks ago and had no replies.
    Sooooo, if anyone has personal experience, I'd love to hear.
    I have a new barn that is over run with sparrows who are eating the rigid foam insulation....not fun.

Your barn is beautiful!
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Question

Also, which birds are you trying to repel? Pigeons, swallows, sparrows, owls...?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

We have a light tan barn owl that comes by in the spring and stays for some weeks, taking care of any other bird and who knows what else in the barn, then moves on.

He may also come on and off thru the year, but doesn't stay long then.

I used to board at a wonderful facility that installed bird spikes to help deter the bird population. It initially worked very well. Unfortunately after a while the birds were able to adjust to the spikes to the point of incorporating the spikes into their nest (spikes made a v formation that ran along the top of each stall door and any other potential nesting area). This adaptation made removing the nests virtually impossible.

If you find something that actually works... for heavens sake let the rest of us know.

We've tried the fake owls, don't know about snakes, electronic bird cry machine (annoyed US way more than it did the birds).

The only success was where we put in a lower ceiling over the carriages and tack room and who knows what the top of those looks like.

When we built our new barn a few years ago I had them add a ceiling to keep the birds from nesting, pooing and making a mess out of the barn. We are getting ready to strip the barn and power wash all the bird poo off of the walls...

We also have a boat with a bimini top, the Ospry try and nest on it every year. (If they actually build a nest and lay eggs by law you can't move your boat untill the babies grow up and fly away, sometime in the fall). It was interesting to see what our neighbors did to try and keep the birds away, some used 2x4's with the spikes (pain in the neck to remove when they wanted to use their boat). Some tried fishing line zig zagging all over the top (lovely).

We tried a fake owl strapped to the top. It worked for about 10 minutes untill we saw an Ospry sitting up there with it trying to get a date. What did work was a Gull Sweeper, which is like a fan of sorts. I'm thinking that if you hung some ceiling fans from the rafters it may (or may not) deter the birds a little. Beautiful barn by the way! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    some barns around here are using bird-repeller noise making systems, they seem to work fairly well.
    We have those at work. They are the most annoying things ever. And the birds get used to them so they're not scared away any more. We have just as many pigeons now as we had before the useless things were installed.

I'd try the bird spikes/bird mats.

(And honestly, your barn is just stunning!)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Leaf blower with extra long attachment?

Air horn?

Sorry, I got nothin'
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

How about inviting a local falconer to come sweep your barn every now and again? You can pay her with tacos.

Tarr

Did anyone else notice that they had electric tracks for the birds. You just hook them up to your hotwire charger. I wonder if the smell of fried chicken ever dissipates from the barn? lol.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Where are the photos of your barn? Having read this thread and your blog, I'm eager to see this monument to horse comfort.
    I have a problem with pigeons nesting in my old barn and crapping on everything and everyone. I arm myself with a BB gun and spotlight on nasty weather nights and go jack lighting for pigeons. I'm not a good enough shot to actually harm the birds but eventually they get fed up and fly away. After a dozen or so trips out into the cold or rainy night they decide to move, probably to the neighbor's barn but that's not my problem. Perhaps you too could annoy your birds into nesting somewhere else.

The link was imbedded in the "my new barn" text.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7963088@N07/8446991143/

As a bird lover and nature girl type- I have been reading this thread with an "oh get over it" attitude...(sparrows and starlings- trap em or shoot em... swallows love 'em and make provisions for them) and then I saw the picture of the barn in question and WOW...

holy cow I was eating a doughnut when I saw the pictures and almost choked! Hey i am a horse and I need a barn, can I some stay I will keep the birds out! I can draw in every feral feline within a 10 mile radius! or bring some with me The only suggestion I have is cats, ferals if you can. Or dogs or a falconer. Other than that, the fake snakes never worked on my great grandfathers plum trees nor the fake owls. If the birds had targets those dat blame persimmons he would have been happy but the only thing that went for those were the raccoons and we had to knock them out of the trees when they over indulged.