The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Pain or confusion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdyjn...ature=youtu.be

Ok so there's a video of one of my trainers riding my new horse. The first 15 sec. or so you can see what he does when you ask for a trot. Now let me preface this by saying, HE DOES TROT! Matter of fact until this day we'd had no issues getting a trot out of him, for the past week. But this is the first time I have video of what he does when he doesn't trot.

I've had three people say three different things! Basically, Farrier thinks his front ankles bother him (rads don't show anything of worry though they need to be watched), vet thinks there are no issues (he's just confused), and the trainer thinks its a back issue. . .

I rely on the beauty that is COTH to see what y'all think. I do have video (though not as good) of him trotting if you think that would help. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUykcozPShU)

I'm not a vet, but I think this horse hurts somewhere. What happens on the lunge with no one on him?

1 members found this post helpful.

I have video somewhere but he's fine with no weight.

I agree that he looks ouchie. Do you have access to a GOOD chiro? That's where I would start.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

3 members found this post helpful.

Looks like he's "trolloping" --- that awful, not a trot, not a canter gait that a lot of WP horses do. To me, it screams pain --- hocks maybe? Stifles? Backend somewhere.

8 members found this post helpful.

Can you have a fitter take a look at the saddle? It's a pretty easy thing to check and rule out.

If he's fine on the lunge, but then bad with weight on him, that says pain to me and probably on his back. Does the saddle fit him? I'd suggest getting the saddle fitted correctly and maybe a back on track pad to warm up his back a little, and then if he's still doing the weird gate something is seriously wrong. It really looks like no impulsion and like he's tripping on his front lead leg. I'm not really knowledgable of exrace horses, but is that maybe the lead that he was told not to canter/gallop on? I know they only run one way and tend to end up bad with the other lead. Not to be rude or anything but have you tried riding him with a shorter rein than your trainer is giving him and maybe halfseating it? Your trainer seems to be sitting rather deep on his back as well.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

He looks sore to me too. Like the others said check his saddle.

A change of direction would have been useful. That was more than enough tranter on one rein.

I would have the vet out, and have a check of those feet.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I'd look into back pain as well. But I'd also look into neuro issues and hocks.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

4 members found this post helpful.

Agree with everyone else, looks like pain somewhere to me. I would start with his back/hindquarters and go from there.

Didn't you post a thread not too long ago stating you WERE having trouble getting him to trot? If I'm mistaken please forgive me, but if memory serves me correctly, he has been giving you signs for awhile that something is going on.

He looks very off to me- pain somewhere, especially if he is fine w/o the weight of a rider on him. If he is off the track, how long has he been let down? He could be body sore. I would have a good chiropractor out to adjust him and possibly some acupuncture. I would also suggest having a saddle fitter out, even a minor issue in fit could be throwing him off. Good luck with him and figuring this situation out. He is cute!!!

Sorry, just for clarification; is your trainer asking for the trot the first 15 seconds or so, and then is wanting the canter after that? I agree the horse may be a little ouchy but it looks more-so to me that it is confusion, mixed aids, or horse wanting to be ridden a bit differently.

I would stop riding him immediately. This imitates exactly what one of my horses did when he had a rear suspensory issue to a T. Have the vet watch him undersaddle both directions then on the lunge and have them do flex tests and palpate for suspensory issues. He could be front foot sore as well. I would be interested to know what the findings are, so please keep us posted!
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

Why don't you guys start with Ye Olde Bute Test-- you bute the snot out of the horse for 5 days and see if that makes a difference in the way he goes?

That at least tells you if he hurts, though not where.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

Does he ever go forward at all? You say he has a really nice canter...when he goes forward, but I don't see him going forward at all...even in the other video posted.

I do agree that there is most likely pain somewhere. You believe it too, otherwise you wouldn't be second guessing your vet, etc. How does he flex? My horse was doing something similar and everyone told me he was sound...until we flexed him and it was like, "yep, something hurts."
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

My horse had a very sore back last summer from just 3 rides in an ill fitting saddle with a trainer. He moved better than your guy but similar. Your trainer is sitting quite deep. My horse needed 6 weeks off with pain meds and relaxers. Chiro did not solve it, his back was too painfull.

I see a sore back, the vet I used diagnosed him in about 5 minutes and then worked him up to determine the severity. Good luck, your guy is too cute.

Just got back from the vet. To answer some of the threads above:

1) I believe that trainer was asking for trot at beginning then just asked for the canter after that, because you can see him go into the canter and stay there.

2) yes it was me asking about getting him to trot, before. He had 4 weeks off then came back and I haven't actually had any difficulty until the day in the video (saturday) getting a trot.

3) Saddle could definitely be an issue, because it slides back on him something fierce. I rode him in my dressage saddle yesterday and had a nicely forward horse under me.

So for what the vet said:

He thinks we have two separate issues:

1) definitely something in the front ankle. Though he doesn't flex off, and he's trotting sound, there is puffiness that wasn't there before at it worries him.

2) Possibly back/stifle issue causing the tranter. But since the horse trotted nicely today. He says the video makes him say one thing, but today another. And now that y'all mention the saddle, that absolutely could be an issue.

His recommendation:
    1) 8 weeks off, light walk, trot loose rein no circles, ok, for very limited times. Walking a lot is great.

2) If we come back at 8 weeks to the same thing, we start with more rads and ultrasound everything.

My vet isn't a big Chiro/massage guy. But I'm thinking it certainly can't hurt, and since this show season is out the door, I'll just use show money to fund making him feel better.

It's funny my first horse off the track had a knee chip removed. She had a horrible bump was sound as the day is long.

This one, came off the track sound and I've had nothing but issues!! But I'm so completely in love with him. It's bad I know. There's only been one other horse that I've cared as much for, so I can't just let him go (and hell even if I could who the hell would take him!).

Personally, I would also ask my vet to check for EPM. Dealer's front end and back end seem to be on different pages and, after looking at the initial trot video, I don't think its the result of him not knowing how to canter, etc. Hopefully, it turns out to be body or back pain and easily treated, but there is so much going on I would be looking for something more systemic.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

It's coming from the hind end, not the front. The saddle fit may be a contributing issue but any puffiness in the front is probably from resting with weight off opposing hind. Forget chiropractor...find a good osteopath and have them do an exam. They'll either fix it in one or two treatments or they'll tell you what your options are. Power-pak him for 5 dats as well.

2 members found this post helpful.