The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Check out the footing where you school and where the HT is run.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

How has the horse handled Novice without shoes?
    Click here before you buy.

I have to agree that you have to listen to your horse -- my Appendix was very careful with his balance and did not need studs. My young OTTB slipped out behind at Novice last year on a turn and pulled an SI ligament; the only plus was that I had knee surgery shortly afterwards so he had plenty of time office. So he gets studs at Novice now as injury sucks! He has gorgeous hind feet and I've left them bare all winter, but now that we are doing some intensive training and getting ready to compete, I went ahead and put his back shoes on so I can stud him.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    I don't think, in this area, you could run training and not have all four on.

My little drafty girl is very used to having studs on grass and she is more tentative without them. As she is quite competent at SavingMyAss, I would prefer she not hesitate, ever.
    I ran the horse mentioned above at his first prelim in Nashville and he was barefoot behind.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

There really isn't a universal response. This guy is barefoot:

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...53566969-O.jpg

My last guy would flip a lid if he slipped even a little and was studded all the way around for Training level.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I think it all depends on the terrain and footing.
    My daughter's TB mare was barefoot behind while they competed in Florida at training and while schooling prelim and intermediate. When we left the state to compete, she was shod all the way around and drilled for studs.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I ran the horse mentioned above at his first prelim in Nashville and he was barefoot behind.
    Did you have to condition in Nashville?! PWP is a whole different animal than the rest of Nashville!

This is an issue I've really changed my mind on over the years.

About a decade ago when I was all barefoot if you can/don't use studs until the UL gungho. I stabled next to a 4* rider at Pine Top who was running a young horse Training barefooted. Pine Top has incredible sandy loam footing that I've ridden on in a multitude of conditions and it is never less than excellent. Before XC I talked specifically with this rider about her horse's barefootedness--never a slip or a bad moment in the few years she'd had him going. On XC in a freak moment coming around a not too sharp turn his hind end slid out from under him and they both went down hard. When she returned to the barn she said, "never again."

It is so easy for something to happen that causes our horses' to lose confidence and it only takes one time, one bad moment. I have to question whether it is worth doing the barefoot thing when I know without a shadow of a doubt that in almost any footing and conditions I have the ability to improve traction with shoes drilled and tapped.

As eventers the number one thing we need from out horses' is their trust and confidence. Isn't that what we risk when we choose less traction?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I am also in area VI and my old Appy went fine at training level with shoes just in front.

He didn’t get shoes all around until we did training level at Wild Horse ( which is long gone ) – as they had dressage and show jumping on dewy grass, and slipping was a concern. So he got shoes so he could have studs all around.

Are there any venues that run on grass in CA any more? Most are sand arenas, or dirt / sand mixes. XC tends to be dirt that has been harrowed into soft footing. Summers are dry, so mud is not a concern (but some places can be hard if they do not harrow the xc course).
    The venues we will be running all have tilled up XC courses, and dirt/sand arenas for dressage and SJ.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    How has the horse handled Novice without shoes?
    We haven't done it yet. There is a schooling show next weekend that will be the test run. However, I'm fairly confident in his ability to not slip and slide around. Wayyyy back in the day when we were going to run barrels (yes, go ahead and laugh. I have!) we were learning pace, pocket, and turns in a hard, grassy pasture, and he had no traction problems. Yes, I realize it is different, but he was still going at high speeds and have to push off his hind end.

My farrier is a saint, and if we feel like we don't have traction next weekend, he can be out within a couple of days to put hind shoes on. I definitely wasn't planning on yanking his hind shoes and flying around a Training course without a couple test runs at Novice and schooling Training. I was just curious and wanted to hear some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Did you have to condition in Nashville?! PWP is a whole different animal than the rest of Nashville!
    KS and AL.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

You haven't done Novice yet and you're planning a strategy for Training?

ETA it does look like you have plans on taking it step by step. That's a good thing. Remember that a certain level of fitness and miles are required for Training level. Which means wear and tear on the feet.

Personally I don't like horses barefoot behind if I'm asking them to do more than BN. IME more of them do worse without than with shoes/studs. The requisite fitness work (trot sets, road work) that an inexperienced horse requires to do training level safely also mandates (in my world of roads, gravel and hard footing at time) shoes for the vast majority of animals.

You haven't done Novice yet and you're planning a strategy for Training?

ETA it does look like you have plans on taking it step by step. That's a good thing. Remember that a certain level of fitness and miles are required for Training level. Which means wear and tear on the feet.

Personally I don't like horses barefoot behind if I'm asking them to do more than BN. IME more of them do worse without than with shoes/studs. The requisite fitness work (trot sets, road work) that an inexperienced horse requires to do training level safely also mandates (in my world of roads, gravel and hard footing at time) shoes for the vast majority of animals.
    Delta, I think she means she hasn't ridden around a Novice w/o hind shoes yet, he's been shod all around for all of their Novice runs so far.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Delta, I think she means she hasn't ridden around a Novice w/o hind shoes yet
    I'm not so sure, given previous posts about the horse/rider's experience.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in the camp that I'm MORE likely to shoe and stud up a young green horse. I will wait a bit to put hind shoes on them when I first start them. Hacking up and down hills ect. But for jumping and schooling on grass...I want little studs in. It really does depend on the terrain and having been south in Aiken...I understand why a lot can get away without studs...but here in PA and VA....I will stud for their first schooling if I can. I will not use HUGE studs...but enough to give them a little help.

I will also add shoes pretty quickly to help them move correctly. My current project OTTB got hind shoes on because I felt he wasn't pushing from behind as well as I think he could. Made a pretty significant difference in how he feels (for the better) and this can only help me muscle him up correctly. He's hacked out a lot (crossing water, popping over ankle high logs, etc) but we havent actually gone xc schooling yet.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 15, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I'm not so sure, given previous posts about the horse/rider's experience.
    USEA shows one run at novice for this horse/rider combo.

Quote Originally Posted by hAlterHorse View Post
    USEA shows one run at novice for this horse/rider combo.

that's correct. and we have ran several novice schooling shows with all three phases.

Subk-- totally agree. And interestingly enough it was also at Pine Top where my client's horse fell going barefoot!

Jennifer

I did Training level for a couple of years in California on my Connemara/TB cross mare, who was barefoot until she turned nine. She schooled prelim barefoot, but I put shoes on her before we moved up to prelim last season because we were getting ready to do some events in the northwest like Inavale and I wanted to put studs on her. I found she has better traction and balance barefoot than shod, but of course studs give you the best traction. I also took our large pony BN on those courses and he was fine barefoot even on grass, but he's a catty little guy. I was thinking of taking my mare barefoot at prelim at some of the California events this season, but I just tore my ACL skiing so I'm not sure if we'll be out competing this season. Anyway, to me the biggest factor is whether you need or should use studs. On grass or mud, I would definitely stud at training or above, and for less balanced horses below that as well.