The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default clever ideas for a long distance baby monitor on the farm

i have had every baby monitor and none of them work at a long enough distance for me to walk to the barn from my house (which is only 300'). Most recently, I ordered the 2000' one and it doesn't even reach 100' out of the house. Anyone use anything else, maybe a mare camera?!? Maybe a nanny cam?

I have heard that there is an iPhone app? Otherwise I think your only option is to hook a camera up to your computer or tv monitor. I searched and searched for a longer range monitor when my dd was younger with no luck.

Now if we lived in the uk, they have different frequencies and advertise monitors that have enough range that you an go to your local pub while still keeping an ear on junior

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...857&CatId=4443

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post

Now if we lived in the uk, they have different frequencies and advertise monitors that have enough range that you an go to your local pub while still keeping an ear on junior
    That's alarming.

There many possibilities for the limited range; is the 400ft line-of-sight without obstructions? Do have or is there an electric stock fence between the two points or run parallel to the distance? Are there overhead high voltage electrical lines? Is either of the buildings stucco or metal sided?

All distances stated on packing will be "subject to site conditions" which will vary greatly,

Solutions any many; what are you attempting to monitor? The barn or the house or both and from where?

I never had any luck with a monitor. I either had to do the chores while the husband was watching our son or take him with. Our son was put into a all terrain type stroller and nestled in snug. He slept through most of the chores and had fun watching the animals from a safe place.

Alex S, The reviews for the camera you listed basically said it sucked. A better quality home security unit might be better, but would cost more.

im trying to monitor my one year old sleeping. He takes a 2 hour nap in the afternoon, perfect for barn chores if I could get a monitor that will go to the barn.

I don't have an iphone

I just got an email from Verizon about a Lowes/Verizon joint security thingy called Iris; http://www.lowes.com/cd_What+Is+Iris_695688710_

Video camera; http://www.lowes.com/pd_396427-1353-...ductId=3724288
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I had a my horse at a rehab center & his stall had cameras in it. the owner could watch his activity in the stall from her iPad... and during some of his rehab she was off in another state sending me messages from the road letting me know he was doing fine as seen on her ipad.