The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding near Elizabeth, NJ

Hello,

I will be moving to the Elizabeth, NJ area this summer and I am looking for a place to keep my gelding. I am not interested in lessons but I like to jump around 3 foot about once a week (I used to show in the 4 foot jumpers but now that my horse is older, I just like to play around and don't show much any more).

I have already looked into Kafka Farms, Red Oak and Logans Brook. Do you have any more recommendations for me? I will work in Cranford but will live in Elizabeth so I don't want anything too far to the west. New York is also probably too far away due to traffic. I'd like to keep the price less than $800 if possible.

Thank you in advance for the help!

I know you said not too far west, but your best choices probably start in the Bedminster area and extend into Hunterdon County.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I know you said not too far west, but your best choices probably start in the Bedminster area and extend into Hunterdon County.

This. Elizabeth is not at all a "horsey" area and if you are willing to drive 45 to 50 minutes or so to where it gets more rural, you will find a lot more options.

What amenities or type of program are you looking for?

I'm in the area now during my week off (I live in KY but will have a job in NJ starting this summer) looking for barns and I have quickly discovered that there aren't many near Elizabeth! I am looking for a place with an indoor, at least a few hours of turnout per day, and I want to be able to jump without being in a lesson. I don't care that much if the barn goes to many shows; I rarely go to shows anymore.