The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Haven't been at a barn in CA that didn't require one. Most of the time it's one month's board. OUCH! Be careful what boarding agreement you sign. I've had my deposit refused to be returned before for "damages" at the discretion of the barn owner. Not a good way to part company.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantanaKC View Post
    Interesting! I've never encountered a SD, but I'm not surprised they're popping up. So can I assume that your board has gone up and therefore new boarders would have a higher SD? Just curious how that works.
    Yes, the SD is equal to one month's board (whatever the board cost is at that time) and is refunded when you move out. You cannot use it as the last month's rent.

We pay our board on the first of the month, same as rent. Late fee if you have not paid by COB on the 5th.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I think it's a great idea (and I am not a BO).

There are a lot of people who completely don't understand that board is a contract and 30 days notice means 30 days notice. Now, for EGREGIOUS behavior on the part of the BO, I have no problems with pulling a horse, but people think, "poopsie isn't getting as much turnout as I want during mud season" or "but a stall opened up with a trainer I like" justifies leaving their BO on short notice. If the BO already has the money SUDDENLY they can act like decent human beings.

Personally, I make a mental note of how a new training customer comes to me. If they give their BO two weeks notice because a stall opened up where I train out of, I don't.expect to be treated any better later on. If they call me in the middle of January and tell me to cone with the trailer March 31, I like them better already. Would much rather forego a month's training and fill my slot with someone that has some class.

4 members found this post helpful.

I never had to pay a SD and don't know if I would. Chances of getting that money back is slim to none.
    I do give 30 days notice when appropriate. If the BO has a history of crazy behavior, I'm often afraid to give notice.

Make sure you keep records of your deposit. The barn I am at does a crappy job remembering who paid. My friend moved her horse after only having in there less than a year and the barn owner made her prove she paid it.

So it comes back to -make sure it's accounted for in the contract and the criteria for getting it back are clear.

Also, the other thing I learned -find out what the grounds for refunds are if the BO kicks you out. There are alot of conditions in contracts about what happens if the boarder breaks the contract, but there was little about what happens if the BO breaks the contract.

I live I learn I share.
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    I have also seen a place or two that charges board as of the first of the month (like rent) rather than at the end of the month.
    I have never been anywhere that you pay after you use the month.
    Eek, I can only imagine how many BOs would get shafted on that one.

For book keeping purposes write two separate checks and write in the comment line what they are; last months board, security deposit, etc.

The only deposit I have had to pay was $100 to basically hold my spot when I first moved to the barn (I had told them in June that I would be moving in in September). That $100 was applied to first months board when I moved in. Basically it was a safeguard for them that if I didn't move in, they weren't short all the board money for the month as they could have filled the stall if they weren't holding it for me.

Out of the oh... 10+ barns I have boarded at over the years (from top training barns, to little back yard stables) only two have charged a "deposit" and it was just a $100 - which was then put toward last month’s board when I gave notice. The fee was for possible damage repairs. If your horse did not break any boards or cause other damage you got it back.

I have never paid a hefty deposit (and Atlas Shrugged is right, if a BO charges one, especially a hefty one, it must be kept in an interest bearing account).

If a barn charged first, last and a deposit to move in - that would be a major deterrent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

There are a lot of people who completely don't understand that board is a contract and 30 days notice means 30 days notice. Now, for EGREGIOUS behavior on the part of the BO, I have no problems with pulling a horse, but people think, "poopsie isn't getting as much turnout as I want during mud season" or "but a stall opened up with a trainer I like" justifies leaving their BO on short notice. If the BO already has the money SUDDENLY they can act like decent human beings.

Personally, I make a mental note of how a new training customer comes to me. If they give their BO two weeks notice because a stall opened up where I train out of, I don't.expect to be treated any better later on. If they call me in the middle of January and tell me to cone with the trailer March 31, I like them better already. Would much rather forego a month's training and fill my slot with someone that has some class.
    Do not always assume that because someone is arriving on short notice – that means they stiffed the BO. On more than one occasion I have moved into a new barn just two weeks after contacting them.

I gave my old BO the full obligatory 30 days notice – and PAID them for the whole 30 days – only to move my horse out early. BO gets all of the money they expected, PLUS the bonus of not having to feed and care for my horse. New barn gets paid 15 days proration – which means I am stuck paying double board for two weeks, but in the cases I have done it, it was WORTH IT.

Yep – I was willing to suck it up and pay double when my last barn “wouldn’t turn out because of the mud”. Place turned into a mud pit, it was not healthy for my horse, so I had to get out asap.

Doesn’t mean I stiffed my old BO though.

I think it's not a terrible idea, as I have seen and heard of plenty of people who signed a contract saying they had to give 30 days notice skip out in the middle of the night and refuse to pay their 30 days. Honestly, not many people are going to take the boarder to court over a few hundred dollars, so in most cases, these people "win" when they're in the wrong.
    Getting that last 30 days upfront seems like a smart move for the barn owner.

I have been at several boarding barns, and only paid deposits at two- oddly enough the worst of the bunch. I paid a full month's board for both and did get most of it back from one (the BO tacked on several extra charges that I had no way of disputing without going to small claims court), and all of it from the other one.

I didn't like it- aside from being a lot of money to pay, with two horses, on top of the first month's board- signing a contract with 30 days notice required is enough to keep me honest. However, I can see where it would creep in, in these days of fees fees fees and people being jerks. People have always been jerks but since we're so used to paying extra fees now maybe it becomes an easier proposition to swallow?

What I would like is to have it more formalized- as someone mentioned have the fee deposited in an escrow account, and the interest as well as the deposit returned to me when I leave. The last place, the one who stiffed me, not only did not have an escrow account, she also wouldn't give it back until 30 days after I left (possibly because she had spent it and needed the time to get the money together). It seems like BS to me, as a very good boarder who pays on time and always follows the rules, but I'm not a BO and I absolutely understand how easy it is to get burned by clients.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I agree it is becoming more common. I've paid it twice; once at my current barn, and once at a facility in CT, where the BO threw my trainer out on four days notice and then refused to return my (full month's) deposit when I gave notice, claiming my horse had damaged his stall and the repairs came to - surprise! - the exact amount of the deposit she withheld.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Yep – I was willing to suck it up and pay double when my last barn “wouldn’t turn out because of the mud”. Place turned into a mud pit, it was not healthy for my horse, so I had to get out asap.

Doesn’t mean I stiffed my old BO though.
    This doesn't bother me at all.
    I have also been at a barn that didn't turn out as I would have liked (or even close to what was promised when I checked the place out.)
    I knew after week one that I wanted to leave.

So I gave notice at the very end of month 1, paid for all of month 2, and left at the end of month 2. If I had decided to leave after week 1, I would have given notice and paid 7 weeks of board for two horses. Yes the turnout was not what I would have wanted, but a difference of opinion over turn out policy is not a reason to stiff a BO their full 30 days. No water? Hightail it. Drunken BO threats? Screw 'em. But turn out is something ot disagree with someone over, not screw them financially.

I don't assume people stiffed their BOs. I will believe them if they say they checked with their BO first. Lots of good BOs with wait lists don't mind if someone leaves early since they can fill the stall right away.

However if someone happens to mention they left on short notice without paying out the notice period over a non-major thing I will quietly file it away in my head as an indicator.

What you describe is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Security deposits are supposed to be held in escrow accounts, with any interest earned going to the boarder.
    Whether or not a security deposit must be held in an escrow account differs widely state by state, even with respect to residential and commercial tenancies. So, no, not all security deposits labeled as such must be held in escrow accounts. Check your state laws if it matters to you.

I did pay a security deposit at my current barn, and had no qualms about doing so. Incidentally, this is the only barn I have boarded at that has required one, and it is also the barn with the least turnover and the happiest boarders.

My main barn charges a deposit. Didn't think about it, but my horse isnt destructive and I fix things up for the better.

And on the "last minute" note, I gave a weeks notice I would be winter boarding my guy elsewhere, HOWEVER, the secretary knew I was having issues with my guy there (mud, hooves were falling apart, he was having to be stalled every night, I was going through the beginnings of a massive family crisis), and I have kept in contact with her since then about when he is coming back. I gave my current (winter) Bo, a warning that he would most likely be going back in march, maybe April, back in the very beginning of February. I then gave a 45 day notice, which I prefer as she has time to start looking for a new boarder. I also told her if there was room, I'd be bringing him back next winter.
    Last edited by TBRedHead; Mar. 13, 2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Month change.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinestone_cowgirl View Post
    The only deposit I have had to pay was $100 to basically hold my spot when I first moved to the barn (I had told them in June that I would be moving in in September). That $100 was applied to first months board when I moved in. Basically it was a safeguard for them that if I didn't move in, they weren't short all the board money for the month as they could have filled the stall if they weren't holding it for me.
    This is how it was when I moved into my current barn. I paid $50 to hold the stall, then it got applied to my first month's board.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about a security deposit. As long as you keep proof that you paid it, and have it in writing how, when, and why you get it back, then it's probably ok.

I'm leery of this only because I got majorly screwed out of a security deposit by the landlord of my first apartment. It's partially my fault because I was too dumb and naive to do smart things, like take pictures of the apartment before I moved out. The landlord claimed I did all kinds of damage to the apartment that I did not do, and refused to give me any money back. I rented the top floor of a house, so it's not like I was dealing with a rental company or anything. He actually bought the house while I was already living there, he purchased from my original landlord. I'm quite certain that when the first owner transferred SD funds to him, he spent it. Then when I moved out he didn't have it. Considering his wife pleaded with me to stay because they couldn't afford for me to leave, and the fact that their Mustang went up for sale the week I moved out, I'd say it's a fair guess he just spent my money.

But anyway. As long as the potential to be screwed out of your money isn't there, I'd say it's not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

How do you know the last BO/trainer didn't wave the 30 days notice? I have had that happen to me a time or 2. Told them mid month I was gonna be leaving at the end of the month as a spot had opened up at a different barn or something but would pay till the end of the NEXT month, and they told me that I didn't have to do that as they either had someone to come in to fill the spot or blah blah blah.
    I wouldn't assume they left the BO high and dry.