The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Security deposit at boarding/training barns?

Do any of you pay a security deposit where you board? As in, you move in, you pay the first of the month for that months board, and you also give last month's board, which is held by the barn owner.

Do any of you charge a security deposit?

Know anyone who does?

Thanks so much.

No I don't pay one and I've never paid one at any boarding facility. I've mostly been at A show barns.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

It's creeping in as BOs try to protect themselves from getting stiffed as costs skyrocket. Long as its disclosed and refunded as appropriate, I have no problem with it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think that any barn owner that doesn't use a security deposit today is making a mistake.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

5 members found this post helpful.

I have been at a barn that did that, so I had to pay it.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I've had a security deposit at every barn I've boarded it. Hasn't been an issue as I've always gotten it back.

Be very careful with security deposits. If the BO asks for one make sure there is provision for it in the contract and find out whether you can get it back if the contract is broken and you've already paid board. I speak from experience. My horse was at a dressage barn where the owner/trainer (as far as I recall) asked for an SD, but when she kicked me out with 4 days notice (because I said my horse may need another kind of training -but that's another story) I had to eat $800 because it wasn't accounted for in the contract (the contract made no mention of the security deposit).

I was too giddy at the time (when I first got there) and did not do my due diligence so learn from my mistakes.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

Security deposits are supposed to be held in escrow accounts, with any interest earned going to the boarder. If it is called "last month's rent" than that is not the case. Problem is if someone is going to stiff you, they probably will still owe board even after using up the last month's board. At least it gives you a heads up. Don't delay in beginning the lien process or you may be stuck with an abandoned horse on your dollar. I draft boarding contracts that state the Agister's Lien law for the state, then add UCC language. I suggest attaching that contract to your small claim complaint as soon as your client is past 30 days late. Some breed registeries (such as QH) will also lien the papers.

Very interesting - I have never worked at, boarded at, or run a barn that uses one, so I am curious. I do know many barns who ask for a deposit for major horse shows/circuits.

I think it is becoming more and more common. I have also seen a place or two that charges board as of the first of the month (like rent) rather than at the end of the month.

I agree that the security deposit needs to be mentioned in the contract and also that it should be clearly spelled out under what circumstances the deposit can be retained by the stable. I doubt that many boarding barns have escrow accounts that they put security deposits in, or that any boarding barns pay interest on the deposit.

From a bill collection standpoint, I think the #1 most important thing is billing for services promptly and following up quickly on even minimally late payments. I think that having very organized billing and prompt followup is much better protection for a boarding business than charging a security deposit, which might make some perfectly respectable clients uncomfortable.

I have been at my current barn for 20+ years, and even back when I moved in you paid one.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I paid security deposits at both my prior barn up north and my current location in Florida. That said, when I brought a second horse to the current barn, I was not charged a deposit for that one.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    I think it is becoming more and more common. I have also seen a place or two that charges board as of the first of the month (like rent) rather than at the end of the month.
    Huh, I've never been at a place that had you pay at the end of the month. It was always at the beginning of the month. I've been around barns for almost 30 years.

I require a security deposit, but it is just 1/2 of the monthly rate, and it is refunded provided they give 30 days notice of leaving and all outstanding debts are paid (damages to stall, additional feed or hay for the transistion at the new barn, trailering, etc. are subtracted from it when necessary.)

All of this is clearly explained in my boarding contract, and every former client has gotten a refund of some amount (some have gotten less than the full amount due to the aforementioned).

Interestingly, nobody has ever skipped out on me so that I had to keep it.

*knocking on wood*
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    I have also seen a place or two that charges board as of the first of the month (like rent) rather than at the end of the month.
    I pay my board at the 1st of the month for both my horses who are at different facilities. I think I've always done that but hard to remember wayyy back.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    I have been at my current barn for 20+ years, and even back when I moved in you paid one.
    Interesting! I've never encountered a SD, but I'm not surprised they're popping up. So can I assume that your board has gone up and therefore new boarders would have a higher SD? Just curious how that works.

I've paid one. I don't remember whether they called it a deposit or last month's board, but it ended up being my final month. I gave my 30 days and they had the board money and we were all happy.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Current barn asks for a 30-day notice but doesn't collect a security deposit. Prior barn that we occupied briefly collected a first and last month's board. So when we found another place to go a few days into the month and I'd already paid my board for that month, I ate the $400 deposit that I'd paid on one horse. It was either that or stay another 30 days. I hadn't paid the deposit on the other horse, which made it more palatable. The contract at this barn was very clear about it being a non-refundable deposit.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I've never paid a security deposit or "last month's rent". We usually give post dated checks for 6 months that are taken out 1st of the month (or direct deposit 1st of the months). Always given a months notice for leaving unless BO waved it.

I charge first and last month's board. Before I did that I had a few people give me a week's notice and even someone who gave me two days!

Now that I have established that policy, I haven't had a problem, people give me a month's notice and then that last month they are already paid up.

Work's great!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I have never been at a barn that charges a deposit, but then I've only been at three barns as an adult.

I would potentially have an issue with it. As much as it protects the BO, it clearly adds to the HO's risk as the BO could potentially take advantage of a HO looking to move their horse. We often hear of situations where the care goes downhill and someone has to move their horses fast... I would need a very good contract outlining the appropriate levels of care required.

Note: for me, this would be $1800 to cover two horses. That's enough to make me think twice...
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!