The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mine keeps the credit card on file and all bills are due at the time of the service.
    However at the end of each visit, the vet always asks, "Is this on the card on file?" And I get the invoice/receipt before the vet leaves. The card is run from the truck and the detailed invoice/receipt is printed in the truck too.
    I'd want the invoice for your own files. Maybe it's me, but I tend to forget half of everything if I don't have a hard copy of it.

My farrier does the same thing. Except I pay him by check and he prints out the invoice/receipt in his truck and it has the date and time of the next appointment on it.

They can do these things mobile now.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Simple; they just ask at the time of the service if I want this billed to my Card or do I want to pay by cash or check. They have never billed my card but it is nice to know if someone else covers more for me when I am at work I don't have to worry about paying.

My farrier does cash or checks but he did mention the other day that he was going to get one of those swipey things that attaches to a cell phone. I suppose it is the wave of the future

The practice I use bills the first of each month (at least, that's what they do with their good clients!). I don't get any invoice or bill when my vet leaves the farm, and know that around the first of each month, I will get an emailed invoice with the charges from the previous month.

I don't like the idea of not knowing how much a particular visit cost is at the end of the visit. It takes a few minutes for the vet to total up the day, but I think its important to do while both parties are present and in the moment.

I even have conversations with my vet about the cost expectations prior to the start of the visit if its something other than routine care (those costs are already known due to the plan I'm signed up for with the vet).

1 members found this post helpful.

I would not allow a clinic to charge my credit card without my permission, and if they didn't stop at my request, I would A) cancel the card and B) think about finding a different vet. I would not want to be in an emergency in need of $500, only to find my card declined because my vet charged me for spring shots without my permission.
    My clinic keeps my number on file, but I will call a couple days after a visit (to make sure the vet reported all the charges to the office) and will pay over the phone. I also request that a detailed invoice be mailed to me, because you would be surprised at how many different vet clinics routinely make mistakes. Your vet could mix up what he did to your horses with what he did to the horses after he visited you that day and you're charged for things that you shouldn't be charged for.

My vet has a card on file.
    When the vet is doing my paperwork at the end of a visit they ask how I want to pay, I say use the card on file. They do not run it until they get back to the office so I end up with the invoice they give me when they leave, which says they are going to bill it to my credit card and then they mail me a receipt that says that I have no balance because they billed it to my credit card.

OP, if you do not like that your vet is billing to your card without giving you an invoice then call them up and ask them to stop.
    I assume you are not there when the vet is there (or this would be discussed with the vet at that time). Could the BO/BM have your invoice that was left at the time of service so the vet thinks you know what is going on?

My vet has my card on file and bills me at the end of the month if I have any expenses. However, I had to sign a form authorizing the practice to do that.

My vet is awesome. I get a bill the same day as the service. If I am there, he will run my card in the truck and mark it settled, if I'm not the bill is left with the BO and I can call in to pay after I've looked it over.

He uses one of those Square things on his iPhone, just swipes my card right there.

Why not just call them and say- hey, can you please not charge my card without an invoice? There's not much point in asking everybody else what their vet does because every vet could have a different policy.
    Personally, my vet doesn't take cc's- it's cash or check only at the time of service, which helps keep her fees way lower than most vets. Of course I also get to pay in trade quite often which is a huge perk
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

1 members found this post helpful.

Our vet bills us at the end of the month and after the 15th they charge my credit card. I like it this way. If I have a bigger then normal bill I would rather pay it off thru the credit card company and keep my vet happy.

I have a card on file with my vet, but they invoice me and then I call to pay and they ask if it's the card on file... I'm not required to have it on file as far as I know, but it's nice to have it there so I can just call and say run it.

All 3 of the clinics I use run statements at the end of the month with all the invoices from that month on the statement. I have 30 days to pay the balance. They have asked for a credit card to be put on file, but I have never given one. I always pay on time and don't want any surprises on my credit card. I would think they would prefer to be paid with a check because of the fee credit cards charge.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I always had a card number on file with my equine vet, but I also got a charge sheet at the end of each visit with notes about any diagnosis, exam, blood work, treatment, etc., on it. I never had any problems with erroneous charges or anything of the sort. Payment was (as far as I knew) due when services were rendered, and it was a lot easier for me to put it on the card than to remember to have the checkbook, which lives at home.

A few months ago, I wanted to see if my small animal vet would do the same (makes it easier to pick up prescriptions), and they were aghasted that I would suggest such a thing and said they were "not allowed" to do that.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    I just call and pay.
    That's usually what I do. There have been times for small appointments that I've handed my vet a check, but usually I give it a couple days (they upload (or whatever it's called) the invoices from the mobile vet's Toughbook to the main computers twice a week) and call in either my CC or my DC. They've NEVER charged anything without asking.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Did you call your vet service and discuss this issue? The only way to resolve it is to talk to the vet or his service. If the method that the vet is now using is unacceptable to you, then ask to change it. The worst the vet can say is "no."

My vet service sends an itemized bill each month. I have no credit card on file there. I either pay within 90 days, or I get a 5% interest charge for any unpaid balance. Much better than a credit card, and great when I get the thousands of dollars charges for procedures and radiographs.

Credit card merchants are now required to comply with PCI Security Standards, which do not allow them to keep customer card numbers on file.
    https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/merchants/
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Credit card merchants are now required to comply with PCI Security Standards, which do not allow them to keep customer card numbers on file.
    https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/merchants/
    Well maybe it is different in Canada, as they took my credit card on file without even asking. Thankfully when they made a large mistake last summer my credit card had expired but when I called in the pay after the correction they again automatically took my new credit card on file. So when they saw the horse on February 28th my credit card was charged on march 4th. I have yet to see an invoice or receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Thanks! I will just politely request a breakdown next time, in the past this was automatic but the past year they have just processed the charge. It doesn't make allot of sense.
    Last edited by Fharoah; Mar. 14, 2013 at 04:11 AM.

Mine keep my card on file, but I call to ask them to run it through.