The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whats normal for a equine vet clinic and credit cards

A couple of years ago the equine clinic I have been occasionally using on my horses took my credit card on file when I called in to pay an invoice. Since that time when they see my horses they will automatically apply the charge to my credit card without sending an invoice. This is not a complaint as I appreciate this vet clinic, but it had been kind of surprising when I am waiting on an invoice and happen to check with the credit card company to find out the charge has already been processed. Is this standard?

Thank in advance!

No. Not at mine and truthfully I'd be annoyed if they did not confirm with me to just willy nilly my credit card. Jmo.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine does that also. I really don't mind....gives me an extra month to pay. They probably just do it if you don't pay the day they are out. I know mine doesn't really invoice, pay at time of service is the norm. I do get a statement on what they charged my CC.

No, mine doesn't. They keep a credit card on file, and I need to pay by the end of the month.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Mine requires a card on file, I had to provide one when I filled out all the forms to become a client. My card is charged (the next day or up to a week after the visit, depending on when the vet files the invoice with the office) then the office sends me a recipt.
    Once I didn't have enough on my card and it declined, they just sent me an invoice and I called to pay over the phone, no extra charge.
    I don't mind it that much, and I usually have a good idea of how much the charge is going to be

my vet has standing instructions just to put things on my credit card. They politely send me, via email, an invoice for that month's work at the end of each month and bill the credit card once for that total. Works great for me!

They're also great about calling and saying things like: "hey maresy is due for her coggins in a few weeks;we'll be at your barn this Friday, want us to draw blood?"
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Charging your credit card without asking is not normal and totally uncool in my experience. My regular vet often kept my card number. It wasn't a requirement, but mostly they didn't dispose of the number after I had originally given it to them. They always sent a bill and expected me to call. They would have never charged the card without me calling. Sometimes when I paid my bill the person might say, Is this the card ending in xxx? But that was the limit of their use.

I do have a card on file with my vet, but I always expect (and have always gotten) an email asking if I'd like for them to run the card on file, plus an attached invoice. I like to approve the invoice before paying. There have been a few times (over 15 ish years of using this vet) that there was a mistake.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Okay seems to be normal for some practices. Not a big deal. They used to always email me an invoice then I had to pay by the end of the month. I always paid the day of the appointment or as soon as I received an invoice.
    Last edited by Fharoah; Mar. 12, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    I do have a card on file with my vet, but I always expect (and have always gotten) an email asking if I'd like for them to run the card on file, plus an attached invoice. I like to approve the invoice before paying. There have been a few times (over 15 ish years of using this vet) that there was a mistake.
    Yes last summer they had a bunch of double charges, but it was an honest mistake and once I called in they fixed the mistake.
    Last edited by Fharoah; Mar. 12, 2013 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frisky View Post
    Charging your credit card without asking is not normal and totally uncool in my experience. My regular vet often kept my card number. It wasn't a requirement, but mostly they didn't dispose of the number after I had originally given it to them. They always sent a bill and expected me to call. They would have never charged the card without me calling. Sometimes when I paid my bill the person might say, Is this the card ending in xxx? But that was the limit of their use.
    This is what I would be most comfortable with. If they kept my credit card on file but emailed me an invoice allowing me to review the charges then call in and authorize the charge.

3 members found this post helpful.

Standard practice is to email me the bill and ask if it is ok to run the charges on my card. I review charges and say yes, then they run the card.

I wouldn't be happy if they ran the charges before allowing me to review the bill and asking my permission. One time they charged me $216.00 for 12 tubes of bute, when I had bought only one tube....I brought it up and they corrected their error.

2 members found this post helpful.

My card is on file but they don't charge it unless I call/email. Which is good, considering my last bill would have wiped me clean. I called and arranged payments over the next couple of weeks. I think I could set it up with them to run the card automatically or automatically up to a certain amount, but I just haven't done that.

With my vet payment is due at the time services are rendered. They have a form to keep in your file for the credit card you would like them to use if you choose to pay that way. It is not a requirement to have one on file.

I am given a bill EACH AND EVERY TIME the vet visits that tells me what was done and how much it cost. I can choose to pay with cash, check, or charge.

If I choose to pay with the credit card, I get a copy of the charges sheet that day and a photocopy and a receipt from the credit card machine that day is sent to me through the mail.

I have only had one error made with the billing. I'm not quite sure how it happened, the vet's office isn't quite sure and the credit card company couldn't quite figure it out (not very reassuring), but I got double billed one time. It was taken care of immediately. And hasn't been a problem since. I have had dealings with this vet for over 20 years.

I like having the multiple payment options. And I understand it's a business for them and they need to be paid and be able to count on being paid in full in a timely manner.

My vet WILL NOT have my credit card number on file. Unless they 100% refuse services to me without one, I will never have a credit card on file with them. I can tell you DOZENS of stories of people being mistakenly charged or charged without their authorization. I don't keep that much of a line of credit to want to run that risk. I make a point to pay my bill on time or in a very, very reasonable fashion to avoid any hardships on either of us.

A word of warning-- it is not wise to give your vet your debit card information. A few years ago, my friend had a large vet balance, but was making regular payments (which was standard practice at this vet clinic). One month for the sake of convenience she used her debit card to make a payment. The next billing cycle the vet's office debited the ENTIRE remaining balance of her debit card without warning/prior authorization. Not only did it overdraft her account, but she ended up with hundreds of dollars in overage charges. Not cool.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

3 members found this post helpful.

I would ABSOLUTELY not allow any service or vet to charge my CC without an invoice!! Very bad and rude business practice!! My vet sends a bill and I pay by CC over the phone AFTER I have reviewed the bill!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I just call and pay.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    I just call and pay.
    This is what I prefer. Waiting for an invoice and calling the credit card company and realizing my credit card balance had gone increased over 2k from what it had without my knowledge was a bit of a surprise. This has happened a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by frisky View Post
    I know I opened an account with my vet but they said they would not keep the card on file for security. So I get an invoice at the end of the month and I call in my card number. Then they send me a receipt!
    The previous vet clinic worked the same way. They did not want to keep the card number on file!

I have a credit card on file with my vet, and have for the last 10 years. They always mail me an invoice, and then I call and tell them to go ahead and charge it. I like to have the credit card on file because, in the even I was out of town/unreachable and my horse colicked or needed treatment, they could go ahead and treat him. They do have an authorization letter from me regarding treating him up to a certain $$ amount in the event of an emergency, when I cannot be reached.