The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I got a pair of the #3 front zips last night from Smartpak - will have to send them back. I really wanted to love them, but the waistband really gapped. I think something with their idea of lower in the front and higher in the back didn't quite get executed correctly. I was looking to see if any of the other styles would fit differently. Very disappointed, because they were gorgeous breeches, but just fit strange. Tight in the thighs, but then gapping all over the waist. Drat.

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally had a chance to try on the Tredstep breeches this weekend - I really like them! I tried on the #3 Rosas in front zip, as I didn't want to fall in love with something I can't afford right now (the #1 Argenta) and I'm just too damn traditional for the silicone knee patch (#2 Azzura). I'm also currently looking for schooling breeches (i.e., less expensive), not show breeches. Here are my thoughts -

Sizing:
    I am an hourglass shape; I find them to run a little bit snugger than the same size in the TS Trophy Hunter, but not a full size smaller (I wear the same size in both).

Length:
    I tend to be right on the border of wearing a regular vs a long; I would take a regular in these

Rise:
    I think the rise is a bit higher in the Tredstep compared to the low-rise Trophy Hunter; I would say it's more of a mid-rise. The rise is higher in the back than in the front - very smart!

Other Details:

- I quite like the cut-away knee patch - not yet sure how it works for riding, but definitely seems to reduce bulk. I also like that these are not too snug in the knee (I seem to have a problem with this).
    - The ankle is so much more comfortable without the Velcro, but I could see it being too snug for someone with larger calves (I have a 14.5" - 15" calf, which seemed to be the upper end of comfort for my size)
    - I like the fabric of the #2 Azzura (which is similar to the similarly-priced TS Trophy Hunter) better than that of the #3 Rosa (seems fairly similar to that of the Ariat Brittany or the Ariat sport line), which has me a bit concerned about durability and puckering. But as I said before, I don't like the look of the silicone knee patches, and I'm only looking for schooling breeches. The fabric of the #1 Argenta is nice, but I don't know that I think it's worth $100 more than the #2. The fabric on all of them (at least when new, as I don't know how well they would wear) is nice enough to take into the show ring.

I will definitely be buying some! (I only had $30 in my pocket that day! )

Edit: Okay, I need to slightly amend my thoughts on fit from before. I'm going to say these run true to size or maybe slightly big and not a bit snug as I had previously thought. I believe my perception was off, as I had to let my belt out a hole this morning from where I usually wear it... (On the bright side, it means they still fit and are flattering even if you gain a few pounds! )
    Last edited by pattnic; Apr. 24, 2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: My belt is getting snug :(
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad View Post
    I got a pair of the #3 front zips last night from Smartpak - will have to send them back. I really wanted to love them, but the waistband really gapped. I think something with their idea of lower in the front and higher in the back didn't quite get executed correctly. I was looking to see if any of the other styles would fit differently. Very disappointed, because they were gorgeous breeches, but just fit strange. Tight in the thighs, but then gapping all over the waist. Drat.
    I had this EXACT same issue! I am a 28 in TS all day but the Tredsteps sizing on me was wonky. The 28's fit in the leg but were huge in the waist, the 26's I couldn't even close! I was very sad because I loved the material, styling, and price point. If they fit you I am jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by tua37516 View Post
    I had this EXACT same issue! I am a 28 in TS all day but the Tredsteps sizing on me was wonky. The 28's fit in the leg but were huge in the waist, the 26's I couldn't even close! I was very sad because I loved the material, styling, and price point. If they fit you I am jealous!
    I literally tried on every style in the Treadsteps. Every single one gapped at the waist, and by gapped, I mean you could have fit a small person in the waist along with me! I was very disappointed because the breeches were made so nicely. I fit into a 30 in TS or in the Ariat Olympias. There was no way I could go down a size in the Treadsteps. Every other aspect of the breeches fit perfectly, but the waist was just awful. Seems like a few of us have had this issue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just a general FYI, it is not that expensive to get breeches tailored so they don't gap in the back. I have enormous hips and calves but a 26'' waist. I normally have to get 30L to accommodate my womanly figure but then I get the waist tailored. Costs me $15 with my little seamstress, and it's totally worth it to have good-fitting breeches and not hours of shopping frustration.

I am dying to try out these breeches! I have to wait until my ribs heal, though, so I can actually get back in the saddle. :-/

I just got the #3s front zip and I really like them. I'm typically a 26 or 28 in breeches and I got these in a 26. They fit a bit snugger than my other breeches but not so much that they're too small. I do think that the calves are very tight. I don't have fat calves and it took more effort than just sticking my legs in the pants to get them up and on. Once they were on, they were great. The fabric is great, the waistband doesn't gap for me (which is a problem for me in other breeches), and they're super comfortable.

I ordered some Rosa front zips after reading this thread--got 26L as I am 26R in TS. They were huge and far too long! Large in the waist, leg, and especially the lower leg. The knee was also not anatomical so that if I bent my knee, it felt very tight across the top while there was a lot of extra fabric at the folds under the knee patch. I ordered tan and they were also much darker brown than I expected from the pictures.

The rise in the front was good, though (I am short waisted) and not pinching like the TS, so I was bummed that the rest of the breech was so off. Would it be worth trying one of the other versions, maybe in a 24? (Not that I've actually been a size 24 in the last 20 years).

I have issues w/ the waist band gapping too. I have to wear a belt w/ them for sure. I also find the sock part is a bit tight on me....and I have super skinny legs! If I don't wear them from sun up to sun down they don't bother me too much though. They are fine when I'm in the saddle. I like the knee patches. I recently got a new pair half off and went down a size....a bit tighter but I don't have to constantly yank them up! (and if I lose that 5 lbs I keep saying I will, they'd be perfect!)

So in the end, if you can try them on first, I'd do that. I haven't heard any complaints from my friends that have.

Also...they are super good luck when bowling....I bowled my highest score when I wore them last week

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps5o9apxfm.jpg
    A Moments Worth - "Chance" - 1990 Chestnut OTTB
    King Creole - "Milo" - 2006 Bay Appendix QH

I have 2 pairs. I like the fit. However, I did notice that the fabric makes this crunching noise when I walk. LOL. Ummmm.... Interesting effect. I hope it softens up after they have been washed a few more times. :/

It is probably happening because I'm sort of in between sizes. The 28 was too small and the 30 is a tish too big. Not sure they can be altered in the places I need them altered....

I have the Rosa side zips and I love them. I like the fact that even though it is a heavier weight fabric than a lot of brands, it breathes well and stretches with your body. I haven't had a problem with the waistband gaping at all. I will probably get a few more pairs in front zip if these turn out to be as durable as they seem.

They are the most comfortable, best fitting breeches I have found and the price is great. They do seem to run a tiny bit big in the leg and fairly true in the waist, so if you've got chicken legs I would go a size down from normal. I have, ahem, "robust" calves and thighs from running, and I was actually able to get these in my true waist size instead of ordering up to fit my legs.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by King Creole View Post
    I have issues w/ the waist band gapping too. I have to wear a belt w/ them for sure. I also find the sock part is a bit tight on me....and I have super skinny legs! If I don't wear them from sun up to sun down they don't bother me too much though. They are fine when I'm in the saddle. I like the knee patches. I recently got a new pair half off and went down a size....a bit tighter but I don't have to constantly yank them up! (and if I lose that 5 lbs I keep saying I will, they'd be perfect!)

So in the end, if you can try them on first, I'd do that. I haven't heard any complaints from my friends that have.

Also...they are super good luck when bowling....I bowled my highest score when I wore them last week

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps5o9apxfm.jpg

I got a pair half off from Bridles & Britches as well

I got a pair half off from Bridles & Britches as well
    B/t them and COTH...it's toooooo muuuuucccchhhh eeennnnaaabbblllinnnggg!!!

I am going pick up my brown tall boot from them Sat. LOL

B/t them and COTH...it's toooooo muuuuucccchhhh eeennnnaaabbblllinnnggg!!!

I am going pick up my brown tall boot from them Sat. LOL
    Half off??? Do they have a website? Google turned out a weird website

https://www.facebook.com/BridlesAndBritchesLA

Facebook is prob the best place to find them. I think it was a limited time thing, but check with them or give them a call! They are really great and easy to work with.

https://www.facebook.com/BridlesAndBritchesLA

Facebook is prob the best place to find them. I think it was a limited time thing, but check with them or give them a call! They are really great and easy to work with.

Thank you!! Will call them tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by \Also...they are super good luck when bowling....I bowled my highest score when I wore them last week :)

[URL="http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/BBMcGee31/B5B783F1-4FF8-45D8-B775-A13073AF7644_zps5o9apxfm.jpg"
    http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/BBMcGee31/B5B783F1-4FF8-45D8-B775-A13073AF7644_zps5o9apxfm.jpg[/URL]
    Breeches and bowling shoes! You're starting a new trend.

If anything, I never worry about knee patches. No one can see them from the saddle anyway, so as long as they're not messing up your ride, not a big deal to me.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Breeches and bowling shoes! You're starting a new trend
    I had no idea there would be so many people bowling at 9:00 pm on a Thursday night....I got a few looks for sure!