The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show me your fave barn/house color combinations.

This year we need to paint our house and barn. Currently the colors do not match. Neither is hideous by itself but I'm trying to convince DH it would look nice if all the buildings matched. I saw a pretty bluish grey with dark grey trim color scheme in a magazine a while back but didn't save the photo so now I need to find some good references. Please post some pics of your place or others that you like for inspiration! Can't wait to see them.

Mine are kinda matching...I'll post photos in a bit. (my computer is slowly dying and if I open a second window it'll pee, puke and passout)

We bought 9 years ago, smallish ranch house and 4.5 acres of woods. The house had newer siding, somewhere between a light tan and medium cream in color. The shutters and door are a cranberry color. Well, the shutters were cranberry. They're a hideous pink now, sun fade.

So when we put up the barn, I painted it tan. A little darker than the house, but not by much. Just more tan than cream. White trim. Hunter green doors. I'm going to either pain or replace the shutters and front door on the house and not sure if I want to go with black door and shutters or wood color door and green shutters.

There are a ton of barn in my town...still most popular color is barn red for the barns. And that always goes with about any house color. Although here there's tons of woods so houses and barns aren't usually right near each other and a lot of barns are only visible from the road in winter. There are a lot that match the houses too. And a few that accent the house, which looks nice too. A small place a few streets over has the cutest little yellow cape house with white trim and the little barn is also cape style and it's white with yellow trim. So cute! (and they have a teeny little coop that's yellow and white striped!)

There's a saltbox colonial that's a dark iron grey with white trim and barn red doors (front door and garage doors) with black carriage lights and the barn behind it is barn red with white trim and the same grey shutters, main doors and flower boxes. Looks *smashing!* Very New England-y!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

http://pinterest.com/pin/266416134176872224/
    This barn combo really caught my eye when I was thinking about barn colors- it sounds similar in theme to the one MistyBlue said was smashing.

I have a red house with white trim, and a "driftwood" color roof on the house. My new barn has a red metal roof that I tried really hard to match the house- but I learned that no matter how close the actual color- making a panel facing the sky- match a perpendicular surface is IMPOSSIBLE. I had wanted the barn wood to weather to a natural grey- because the barn sits next to an old log cabin with grey logs- but now that the barn siding wood is starting to weather- I'm freaking out! Maybe I want to stain it... I surely plan to paint the sliding doors red. I also want black shutters on both the house and the barn windows.This is ongoing new construction, so stuff is still getting ironed out.

When I went crazy about the color red- I got lots of paint chips and kept them in my car- I would match my chips to red buildings I found and take notes- I'd match ones I liked- and ones I hated... just to get to know how that paint chip looks on a BIG building in the landscape- it's very surprising.

There are so many... grey colors- try the chips in a town to get a feel.

Anyway- that first link- has my pinterest page of barn colors I liked when I was thinking it over- I was really focused on barns with RED- even if not red barns- there is one that's navy and red trim that's really pretty. I bet it would also be stunning navy with grey.

my house

Had to dig to find it, but I started this thread YEARS ago and there were some gorgeous photos on it then, hope the links still work:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-Red-Barn-quot

The barn where I board is white with dark green roof and the trim and doors are black. The house is quite far away so I don't get up to it close very often. It is cream with some stone and darker trim.

Ooooh. This is a thread near and dear to my heart. Our "new" house is in dire need of new siding/paint (particularly since we sampled paint all over it last fall and then didn't get the siding done--looking pretty fine!). I am thinking Ethereal Mood http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...family/SW7639/ for the house with black shutters and a creamy white trim. The front door is a dark brown and I am redoing the landing to match. The fencing along the house will be painted black.

I am stuck on the "barn" which is really a cinder block two car detached garage that I plan to use for hay storage. I am thinking a white garage door that looks like a carriage door. But otherwise I am stuck. I could just match the house paint (and probably will if I have a lot of leftover). Any and all thoughts welcome. I need to roof the garage too (and am leaning toward dark grey).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I'm having the same dilemma. One of my barns is bright lipstick-red with black shingles and white trim. The other I haven't painted yet.

We're repainting our house this spring. It's going to be some shade of green with white trim; doors to match the orange brick in the porch columns, and I'm painting the fence black.

But I don't know what to do with the barns. I think the red one will look too Christmas-y beside a green house.
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

Chase the trouble. - Buck Brannaman

House is a driftwood grey stain with white trim, barn red shutters, and black asphalt shingles.

Out building and barn are barn red with white trim and black asphalt shingles - with the clay in our area the red doesn't show the kickup/splash up dirt too badly.
    Last edited by KnKShowmom; Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Hope this link works - if it does, it's my barn: http://flic.kr/p/e2YT5w
    It's basically a greyish tan with a dark blue roof and trim.

The funny part is that I really wanted a "grey barn with dark blue trim", but when I went to match the house, everyone told me my house was more brown than grey (the roof shingles are brown). I wasn't willing to give up my dark blue roof, so I took the metal siding color card and just picked the color that was closest to the house, which is called "clay" : http://www.abmartin.net/images/Produ..._Chart_Web.pdf and hoped that it would look OK with the dark blue (which is very dark). Put the barn up and EVERYONE now describes it as grey! (Guess that means my house is grey now, too?)

Someday I'd like to reroof the house and paint the shutters in dark blue to match the barn, and I'd also like to (at least) reroof the garage with the dark blue as well (it's currently white). The metal siding on the garage doesn't quite match the barn and house, but I think if the barn and garage roofs match, everything will look pretty cohesive.

Oh, one thing, to go with what Plainandtall mentioned about vertical vs. angled surfaces - I had an almost immediate case of "buyer's remorse" after I committed to the dark blue roof because I worried that it would be too dark. But, since it's metal and reflects whatever sunlight we've got, it actually reads quite a bit lighter than it would if it were vertical. I was so relieved when I figured that out, and I absolutely love the color!

I like the light grey with the dark grey trim as well. Or a navy blue trim.

http://www.echocreekriding.com/assets/banner1.gif

I really like a lighter, gray-ish color with white or light trim. Our enormous shed (which was, apparently, once a barn... No idea how though), is painted like this. We actually used the color the Eisenhowers used on their barn because we liked it so much
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

I'm a traditionalist: white and fieldstone house with a black roof, red barns.

Our house and barn are currently an off white. Like the color but shows dirt and shaded areas tend to get a green mold easily (welcome to living in the South). Originally the house/barn were painted a brown, didn't care too much for the look but showed dirt least. When we reside the barn, I have a wainscotting put on in a contrasting color, was thinking of a dark green on the wainscot and staying with the off white as the main color. House would be all the off white color but maybe do the shutters in the matching green?

1 members found this post helpful.

No pics to share but Fla house is brick with greys and pinks, medium gray trim and a light grey roof. Barn is medium gray with light grey roof. (In Florida you don't want roof or sides to be too dark - makes for a interior.

Place we're building now (in Kentucky) the house, well and barn will match - medium gray walls and Kentucky Wildcat Blue roof(s). Blue trim around the windows of the house and barn, doors are mostly blue with grey trim.
    Now in Kentucky

Anything but white. My house is white. Well, it used to be. Soon it will be pollen.

I love the color combo used on the barn seen at the beginning of Ask This Old House:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/a...679374,00.html
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Dark tan with forest green is done alot, dirt that splashes up isnt seen, green grass thrown up there by the weed eater turns brown, you get the point.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

When we eventually build, house and barn, I'm pulling for these colors:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/260012578456790626/
    http://pinterest.com/pin/260012578458003781/
    I think I'd like a white metal roof though
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

My house is a warm cream color, and all the trim (Italianate ca. 1900) is what I call "Tailored Sportsman Breeches Green."
    It has the effect of blending into the landscape seamlessly, both winter and summer. My fences are weathered gray split rail over stone walls, and all my outbuildings are driftwood gray matching the fences. The fun part is making new things look ancient.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    When we eventually build, house and barn, I'm pulling for these colors:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/260012578456790626/
    http://pinterest.com/pin/260012578458003781/
    I think I'd like a white metal roof though
    Love that beige with green. Thank you! That house reminds me of the President's house at my college.