The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It's Time! Going for our stem cell injection this week. Any advice?

So, after lots of exams, a MRI, and of course the stem cell extraction, it is time to get them injected. For those who have not read my other thread on this, Dublin has a 3mm tear in his deep flexor tendon, very close to the bursa.

We are heading to the clinic Thursday. The attending vet would like to ultra sound the foot to see the injury and check it's status. Although I was under the impression we could not do that due to the injury's location. That's why we did the MRI, no? Alas, they went to school for this and I am but the sucker paying for it, so if they think they can see it that way, I am all for it.

Here is the real point to this post though. Anyone have experience, and/or advice once the stem cells are injected? Is there anything I should or should not do? Other than the obvious.

Sympathy is also always welcome too, since everyone likes a good pity party every once in awhile...
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

My old man had them done but in his knee. It was an experiment really because stem cell at the time was new and they hadn't injected in a joint to see how well it worked. It did help give my 28 yr old a comfy retirement till he was 36 so I'd say it worked for him. He was much better off after we were done.

Advice wise, just listen and do exactly what they tell you. My guy was install rest for a bit afterwards. Not long, I believe a day or two but it's been awhile now so can't remember exactly. Watch for infection they told me since they went into the joint but otherwise it was pretty easy
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

The ultrasound won't really be of diagnostic quality, but for the purposes of placing the stem cells it will assist them in getting the exact spot by taking measurements. The therapy post stem cells is no different. Good luck with your horse!

Flyracing - That's what I thought too but they want to do periodic ultra sounds to check his progress. I thought they used radiographs to inject the bursa. Since that's what we did when we injected my other horse for his navicular. Would be wonderful if they could see it enough to keep an eye on his progress. Another MRI is pretty much not an option.
    I love my Dublin-ator

That's interesting. I'll spare you my opinion on ultrasounding below the fetlock . You're right that X-ray is the standard used for injecting the bursa, but that is because the bursa is directly next to the navicular bone, making it a simple and reasonable guide. The ddft has no such reference beyond the insertion. X-ray is better than nothing for a distal ddft injection, but and ultrasound will give you depth and needle placement, even where the probe cant be places at 90 degrees to get a reasonable diagnostic view.

Ah ok. My attending vet said it would be a waste to ultra sound as well when this all started, hence the MRI. Really would be great to be able to check his progress periodically though. I have a lot of questions for the clinic doctor. Lol
    I love my Dublin-ator