The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DMG?

Curious about anyone's thoughts on DMG for muscle tightness? I have a 4 year old TB gelding who I started under saddle at 3, has been in VERY light work (light walk/trot, occasionally trotting over a small crossrail), I have taken my time with him and have never worked him hard (thinking long-term soundness here - I plan on him being my next lesson horse). he is a fairly big, muscular guy, probably about 16.1H and growing, stocky build (Light the Fuse was his dad -looks just like him). He is on a good diet, very healthy, very calm laid back kind of guy and an easy keeper.
    However, I've noticed that his muscles - esp. in his neck, always seem very tight. He also seems to tire very easily - he was breathing heavily after about a 30-minute ride the other day, and we did a lot of walking, about 5 minutes max of trotting at a time, and one circle @ canter in each direction. this horse also gets plenty of turnout - about 10-14 hours a day with a herd on hilly terrain.
    He is sound, has never had any injuries or health issues, I see him galloping at full speed in the field. He is not a nervous or tense horse (far from it - he is actually rather lazy). I can't describe it better than his neck muscles esp just seem 'tight', and he seems to tire easily under saddle. My gut is telling me DMG... I'm curious as to anyone else's thoughts?

Also, in reading up on DMG, I've seen some people suggest that it helps with heaves -- I also have a 24 year old mare with heaves which is generally well-managed with supplements, but if I get DMG for my gelding, I may try it on her as well for her breathing -- any thoughts on that?
    Thanks!

I'd look in his mouth. If he's unbalanced there that would affect his TMJ and neck, and on down his back. Maybe chiro, I've seen a lot of neck adjustments! and the poll.

Personally I use DMG during competition times (eventing). edit to add: the horse, not me, but maybe I could use it to do all that hiking!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

1 members found this post helpful.

thanks pony grandma! He did have his teeth done last spring - vet is coming next week to do spring shots/teeth check... but the muscle tightness has always been there... he looks fine, but if you feel his neck (even when just grooming/not riding), it seems tight, esp at the crest. Chiro is a good thought.
    I used to work for a racehorse trainer, and he gave DMG to his horses in race season -- don't know why it just occurred to me that it might help.
    And yes, I"ve been thinking about DMG for me too! LOL

I would also consider the possibility that he has EPSM or RER, and try him on a high fat, low sugar/starch diet with oil.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have my pony on DMG, and it's really helped him. He has Cushing's as well as PSSM, and I have him on a low-starch, high-fat diet, but he would still occasionally tie up and start off very tight and sore. Since I started him on the DMG he has been starting out his workouts MUCH looser and hasn't tied up once. If you suspect your horse has a muscle issue, definitely try it! And it's CHEAP.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

1 members found this post helpful.