The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I have shown my pinto mare in a double bridle (always a hunting flat sewn-in bridle, of course!). The bridoon is actually a french link, and she loves the combination (as does my ss horse -- he shows in this bridle too). I have also shown her in a pelham (also flat, and sewn-in). We have pinned where we deserved with both of them (this is while riding astride, not aside).

After the clinic I did with GM last year, I showed him some pictures of her from the Virginia Field Hunter Championships the other year. Besides commenting on her form, he also had positive remarks re me using a double on her, and no issues with me using it in the show ring.

The 3 bottom pictures on the right side were the pictures that I showed him: http://www.cherryblossomfarm.net/kalliopy.html.

So, personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use a double over a pelham at a show. When you know what you are doing, it is a kinder bit than a pelham, and much better than the hidden mouthpieces found on many "snaffles." In reality, I think that people would have a much easier time with many a hunter if they rode it in a double bridle rather than constantly switching bits with a variety of mouthpieces.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

3 members found this post helpful.

I show in a dee jointed segunda so point taken here. I only have it there for the ends of the ring if my horse gets strong. Just works on this horse.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post

I find it funny, too, that the same people who tell us that all our horses are drugged until they are total dead heads barely able to make it around are also telling us that we're all hiding twisted wires in our horses mouths. Methinks that a twisted wire isn't really necessary when my horse has been drugged to the point of lethargy.

(Last comment not directed to poltroon -- just a general observation.)
    Circular logic! *shakes fist*
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

1 members found this post helpful.

They used to use a double. Certainly out in the hunt field. I saw a photo ca. 1913 of a gentleman getting ready to go out to hounds and the curb of his double was fully as long as any saddleseat horse of today.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post

If hunter mouthpieces were restricted and/or inspected, I would agree with you. But, they're not. Most of those lovely snaffle rings are hiding at least a slow twist and sometimes quite a bit more.
    Yes and no. Bits shouldn't be a tie breaker because no one knows what is in the horse's mouth. Second, if your barn has most of it's horses in 'quite a bit more', I'd switch barns.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpWithPanache View Post
    Yes, eventually. A nice flat hunt bridle is definitely on the short list of "I wants"
    Thank you for saying that - I'm definitely not a hunter rider, but I am (apparently) on the old fashioned side when it comes to tack and can't stand the raised, padded, fancy stitched bridles out there. Give me "old fashioned" plain flat tack any day!

For what it's worth (and that isn't much), I think you should get the classic flat hunt bridle and show your guy in the double - it's what he goes best in, it's totally traditional AND it'll look lovely! (and then let us see the pictures!)

2 members found this post helpful.

Add in rust or canary breeches and brown boots and hey, maybe they'll just assume you're going retro (I'd totally do it if I was showing hunters..)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie locks View Post
    If your horse goes in a pelham or double most judges know because he's strong and needs more bit.

It's not about what's "in", it's about a horse you want to ride for hours of Hunting! Judging is subjective. I have yet to meet a judge that picked the winner because of a fashion statement.
    Some of my horses and ponies went better in a pelham than in a snaffle not because it was more bit, but because the action was more agreeable than a jointed bit,.
    If it is a good judge, then they would know that a horse going quietly in the pelham or double is correct for that horse rather than instantly thinking the horse needs "more bit" and deserves a penalty.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post
    Add in rust or canary breeches and brown boots and hey, maybe they'll just assume you're going retro (I'd totally do it if I was showing hunters..)

Love it!!! I showed at a little local show in my rust breeches last season. lol
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    A hunter double looks pretty much the same as a dressage double, required (or used to be?) in FEI levels.
    I know, but I just want to see a horse tacked up in a huntery double bridle. I don't ride in one, but that didn't stop me from bidding on an ADT double bridle, brown with ivory piping. I lost the bidding, but gazed at the pictures for weeks afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post

The 3 bottom pictures on the right side were the pictures that I showed him: http://www.cherryblossomfarm.net/kalliopy.html.
    Now that's what I'm talking about.. I was having a really bad day at work, and those pictures really cheered me up. Lovely.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Perhaps I missed it, but what level are you showing? Perhaps the judges can weigh in again, but wouldn't it make a difference if we're talking 3'6"+ (with presumably an educated hand) vs. long stirrup or pre-childrens?

At least the judge will know your horse isn't medicated into submission.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    The thing is... a double, properly used, is probably less severe than 80% of the snaffle bits most hunters are going around in, because the curb is used only occasionally, and the snaffle is very likely to be a plain mouthpiece.

A double, properly used, is also a less severe bit than a pelham.
    Yepyepyep!! I had a TB once, and granted he was weird, but it sounds like OP's horse might be somewhat similar, who really went better in a double b/c he preferred LESS contact. All he really needed was the lightest possible half-halt between jumps when going o/f, and in the hack he would frame right up in it on a rather surprisingly loose rein. You had to ride that horse much more with seat and balance than with hands. So yeah, I'm siding with those who say if your horse BEHAVES as if he isn't a menace to society, you'll probably be fine.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post

After the clinic I did with GM last year, I showed him some pictures of her from the Virginia Field Hunter Championships the other year. Besides commenting on her form, he also had positive remarks re me using a double on her, and no issues with me using it in the show ring.
    Inspired by other news today from the Holy See:

GM locuta est, causa finita est.

(Darling mare btw!)
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon