The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Rescuing two horses from Turlock Cowtown auction feedlot

The rescue organization is Auction Horses Rescue, which is 501(c) pending, and non-profit. They are straight-up.

Race owner of the horses had promised to sponsor them out, but is no longer reachable. There is some concern about the owner not wanting the publicity of them being at an auction. He is well-known. They were each bought for $50 by kill buyer, who is asking $400 apiece now, plus gas to deliver them.

I am not affiliated with the rescue organization, other than trying to help them in this situation. They need $400 plus gas at this point. I have run a Crowdtilt campaign and garnered enough to pay off their vet bill from their last few rescues, both of whom had major injuries.

Please contact Auction Horse Rescue (Megan Gaynes is the contact) if you can help out, or pm me for details on my Crowdtilt campaign. Thank you!!

https://www.facebook.com/auctionhorses

Please help

I don't understand this site - they have some thin or injured horses shown that they have helped but also appear to be upset when their 'rescue prospects' (which are in good weight and appear healthy) have reserves at auction of $1000+.

That's not a rescue - that's a horse trader. Also taking donations to buy horses with well above meat price reserves so that the 'breeder' (who of course has no money) can get the horse back seems bizarre.

3 members found this post helpful.

They are not horse traders----they go to the auctions and post pictures of the horses available for people. They then bid against kill buyers for the "no hoper" types----ie, the four elderly tb mares. They must have a viable home for the horses they bid on. At the moment, the rescue itself has several horses that had major injuries and needed treatment. I have verified with the vet myself.

I also verified the prices of the elderly thoroughbred mares (one sold for $25).

You may verify the injuries treated, and the horses on which they were treated, by calling West Coast Equine, Somis CA, at (805) 386-7151

http://www.westcoastequine.net/

Closing this thread because not only is this rescue not verified 501c3, as required by Forum Rules, but it's also a cross-post from the Racing Forum.