The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Rescuing two horses from Turlock Cowtown auction feedlot

The rescue organization is Auction Horses Rescue, which is 501(c) pending, and non-profit. They are straight-up.

Race owner of the horses had promised to sponsor them out, but is no longer reachable. There is some concern about the owner not wanting the publicity of them being at an auction. He is well-known. They were each bought for $50 by kill buyer, who is asking $400 apiece now, plus gas to deliver them.

I am not affiliated with the rescue organization, other than trying to help them in this situation. They need $400 plus gas at this point. I have run a Crowdtilt campaign and garnered enough to pay off their vet bill from their last few rescues, both of whom had major injuries.

Please contact Auction Horse Rescue (Megan Gaynes is the contact) if you can help out, or pm me for details on my Crowdtilt campaign. Thank you!!

https://www.facebook.com/auctionhorses

Racing fans, please help

No offense to anyone but I click on your link and the first thing I see is this picture. The people are IDIOTS!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	481078_548707768494342_1554830204_n.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	37746

3 members found this post helpful.

Ok, let me check the link. Why do you think they are idiots?

They are hauling horses with their heads hanging out of the trailer. I posted the picture.

1 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps this is a better link, which will show you other pictures that might not offend you. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Per Megan, the hauler was pulled over at the side of the road, letting the horses get some air before continuing. Looking closely at the picture, that appears to be the case.

You might as well post the registered names of the mares, and out the previous owner you think is in the wrong, or you aren't going to get much response here.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Ok. Good luck with them.

I'm very confused by their page. Looks like they are just a broker not a rescue?

Not a broker. They get no money out of posting the photos of the horses from the auctions; they are non-profit. The two horses in question were saved this afternoon from the kill buyer, who shall remain nameless in this open forum. They are being hauled as we speak to a temporary foster home, where they will remain until Friday. After that, a generous friend of mine is accepting them at her home ranch. I will be more than happy to post the horses' names, and that of the owner, once they are safely at the foster home.
    Last edited by Spartacus; Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: wrongly puncuated

2 members found this post helpful.

**former owner** They are no longer his, thank goodness.

Before you beat up the former owner...how long has it been since they owned the horses?? How old are theses horses and the injuries?? would the $$ be better spent putting them down???

Seriously so MUCH $$$ is s

Spent "Saving" horses who should be put down and the $$$ spent on horses with quality of life...

Also you pulled to TB's from the "kill Pen" how many non TB's did you leave behind? Just because its not a TB does it mean it qualifies for a Slaughter House Death while a TB is worth of exeption by is bloodlines..Or is it because you think you can trace a tattoed registered horses previous connections to a point?

Flame me go for it...........

You posted no horse names no ages and no pictures of condition and if they are even going to have a pain free quality of life or any use...

I thought selling horses for slaughter in California was illegal. Or is it one of those laws no one enforces?

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Before you beat up the former owner...how long has it been since they owned the horses?? How old are theses horses and the injuries?? would the $$ be better spent putting them down???

Seriously so MUCH $$$ is s

Spent "Saving" horses who should be put down and the $$$ spent on horses with quality of life...

You posted no horse names no ages and no pictures of condition and if they are even going to have a pain free quality of life or any use...
    That's what I was thinking. OP said the horses had major injuries. $800 for the pair? How about just enough to euthanize?

2 members found this post helpful.

There seems to be some confusion here. Happy to answer the questions:

(1) The two horses I was personally helping with are 4 and 5 years old, and do NOT have major injuries. Previous horses that the AHR had taken on their own are available for viewing on their website, several of which had treatable, yet expensive injuries. They personally made the call to take in those horses, and are personally sponsoring them. Due to that expense, I was told that at the time they were unable to rescue the particular filly (the 4 year old) that I had a soft spot for. I decided---myself---to try to make this possible. Having 2 OTTBs myself (one of which is 26 and was a 9-year campaigner on the track), I could not take on another horse of my own. However, I could not sit back and just let the filly go to slaughter without trying.

(2) Yes, shipping to slaughter, and horse slaughter itself, is illegal in California at this time.

(3) I make no judgement calls on which horses should or should not be rescued. I am all for humane euthanasia, being a registered vet tech (critical care, 15 years, a second career for me), and having performed it many times myself. I also eat meat. I do not have a problem with eating meat, which entails slaughter of animals. However, I have a big problem with pain/suffering/inhumane treatment, which does happen on prior to slaughter, on the truck to slaughter, and at the slaughter plant. Evisceration while "stunned," or being knifed in the neck until paralyzed, is not humane treatment, in my book.

(4) The filly whom is now safe, I am happy to post details on. Her name is Dancing Jennifer, of Stein Racing Stables. The 5 year old is still at the kill buyer, due to the hauler (whom I did not hire and do not know) mistakenly picking up a second horse that was not the 5 year old. No, I am not thrilled about that confusion, and it does trouble me. Here is Dancing Jennifer's Equibase record: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...415&registry=T.

A friend of mine with a retirement ranch stepped forward to adopt both her and the 5 year old. She has also volunteered to take the "mistaken" mystery horse. Yes, she's that good. Yes, it's a phenomenally beautiful ranch, and she is doing this out of the goodness of her heart. Yes, there really are people like that.

(5) Many horses went through that auction, and go through auctions every week. In the next auction that AHR posted, there were a number of good-looking, healthy weight horses of all breeds, ages and sexes. Some of them came with detailed paperwork and/or pictures of them in their sellers' homes. I am sure many of them went to good homes. I posted this here on the racing site because I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that there would be an interest in helping out these two particular thoroughbreds---because so much of racing involves Thoroughbreds. Before you flame, yes, I am aware of Standardbred and AQHA racing, as well as Arabian racing.

I can say without doubt that I will not visit this Racing forum again. I welcome the Moderator to close this thread.

You would get the same response from any of the forums. People want to know all the information about a "rescue", or at least smart people do. You will find that most people want to help and avoid race horses ending up in the pens. But you must make the information about everything clear and easy to follow. The link you posted did neither of those things.

5 members found this post helpful.

Default Contact?

Was the former owner/ breeder/trainer contacted? He is not hard to find, a public figure

http://www.rogerstein.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    There seems to be some confusion here. Happy to answer the questions:

(1) The two horses I was personally helping with are 4 and 5 years old, and do NOT have major injuries. Previous horses that the AHR had taken on their own are available for viewing on their website, several of which had treatable, yet expensive injuries. They personally made the call to take in those horses, and are personally sponsoring them. Due to that expense, I was told that at the time they were unable to rescue the particular filly (the 4 year old) that I had a soft spot for. I decided---myself---to try to make this possible. Having 2 OTTBs myself (one of which is 26 and was a 9-year campaigner on the track), I could not take on another horse of my own. However, I could not sit back and just let the filly go to slaughter without trying.

(2) Yes, shipping to slaughter, and horse slaughter itself, is illegal in California at this time.

(3) I make no judgement calls on which horses should or should not be rescued. I am all for humane euthanasia, being a registered vet tech (critical care, 15 years, a second career for me), and having performed it many times myself. I also eat meat. I do not have a problem with eating meat, which entails slaughter of animals. However, I have a big problem with pain/suffering/inhumane treatment, which does happen on prior to slaughter, on the truck to slaughter, and at the slaughter plant. Evisceration while "stunned," or being knifed in the neck until paralyzed, is not humane treatment, in my book.

(4) The filly whom is now safe, I am happy to post details on. Her name is Dancing Jennifer, of Stein Racing Stables. The 5 year old is still at the kill buyer, due to the hauler (whom I did not hire and do not know) mistakenly picking up a second horse that was not the 5 year old. No, I am not thrilled about that confusion, and it does trouble me. Here is Dancing Jennifer's Equibase record: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...415&registry=T.

A friend of mine with a retirement ranch stepped forward to adopt both her and the 5 year old. She has also volunteered to take the "mistaken" mystery horse. Yes, she's that good. Yes, it's a phenomenally beautiful ranch, and she is doing this out of the goodness of her heart. Yes, there really are people like that.

(5) Many horses went through that auction, and go through auctions every week. In the next auction that AHR posted, there were a number of good-looking, healthy weight horses of all breeds, ages and sexes. Some of them came with detailed paperwork and/or pictures of them in their sellers' homes. I am sure many of them went to good homes. I posted this here on the racing site because I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that there would be an interest in helping out these two particular thoroughbreds---because so much of racing involves Thoroughbreds. Before you flame, yes, I am aware of Standardbred and AQHA racing, as well as Arabian racing.

I can say without doubt that I will not visit this Racing forum again. I welcome the Moderator to close this thread.
    Last edited by summerly; Mar. 13, 2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Sp
    Forward is good

Spartacus, thank you for stepping into the line of fire to help these mares. No, we can't save them all but it sure is kind of your friend to take them in (along with the mystery horse!). I'm hoping the mare that got left behind has been found safe.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I think Hot Ticket was the other one although don't know if still available. Daughter of Unusual Heat, sent there because she was too crazy to breed. Yeah, wonder how that happened?!!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/hot+ticket5
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    You need to toughen up Buttercup. Rescue is a tough business when you cross all your T's and dot all your I's. Post some half ass stuff on FB and you are begging for trouble. Perception is everything and the picture your friends are presenting is of dis-organized do gooders that may or may not be in way over their head. For example, I don't even sell my horses but still you will never see me post a picture that is the slightest bit unflattering on the internet. So you won't see many pics over the winter but will see lots when they are slick and clean in the spring and summer. The trailer picture regardless of whether they were pulled over or not was a disastrous mistake. I wouldn't be surprised if there were others but they lost my interest right there. When it comes to disposable income ie donations, perception is everything.

4 members found this post helpful.