The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Olympian Blyth Tait Downgraded to Pre-Novice by FEI

Hunter princess hopping over to Eventing to post this one b/c it's just BEYOND absurd. I mean, there are some dumb rules out there but this kind of takes the prize as far as I'm concerned.

Blyth Tait Downgraded to Pre-Novice by FEI - from Horse and Hound.

Surely this was NOT the intent of this rule???
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Tempest in a teacup. Surely after 7 years off he's not expecting to come out at Advanced, no matter how he's mounted? A couple of trips to get the rust off seems like a pretty decent idea to me, and sets a good example.

Glad he's back. Don't think the rule is that big a deal, nor will it take very long to have him back at whatever level he feels he wants to be at, provided he is suitably mounted and prepared. Just like anyone else.

If I stopped practicing medicine for 7 years I sure as heck would not expect to walk right back in at my current "level" having done nothing to keep up my skills and knowledge base! And unfortunately in the grownup world of professional endeavors, one has to PROVE that one is qualified, not rest on one's laurels.
    Click here before you buy.

7 members found this post helpful.

I guess I disagree with Deltawave on this one. I do think the rule is terrible.

Even after time off....I wouldn't want a rule requiring any rider of his caliber to have to go back so far...especially on an experienced horse.

Make them run an Intermediate and a CIC** to show they are ready but otherwise....making them have to get all qualifications is a really stupid result. No one is saying they should be able to go right out at a 4* level....but going all the way to the beginning is the result of the rule and all qualifications. This doesn't make any sort of sense.

I wouldn't expect the DR in your example to have to re-start med school. Yes to taking some condensed education and CLE classes...but not all the way to the beginning.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typos
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

14 members found this post helpful.

I agree with bfne. This is ridiculous. Also, Toddy managed to make a pretty good comeback without such silliness(I don't know WHAT he did first, but I'm sure he wasn't downgraded to the equivalent of a training level rider!).

Also, it isn't like Blythe has been sitting on his ass, watching soaps. He's been coaching (I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong). I think that keeps one pretty sharp.

Ahh, FEI...always so intelligent and thoughtful.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Tempest in a teacup. Surely after 7 years off he's not expecting to come out at Advanced, no matter how he's mounted? A couple of trips to get the rust off seems like a pretty decent idea to me, and sets a good example.

Glad he's back. Don't think the rule is that big a deal, nor will it take very long to have him back at whatever level he feels he wants to be at, provided he is suitably mounted and prepared. Just like anyone else.

If I stopped practicing medicine for 7 years I sure as heck would not expect to walk right back in at my current "level" having done nothing to keep up my skills and knowledge base! And unfortunately in the grownup world of professional endeavors, one has to PROVE that one is qualified, not rest on one's laurels.
    I'm pretty sure he had 2 Advanced horses queued up (and going) when he came out of retirement after WEG 2010.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

3 members found this post helpful.

He is required to re-qualify a our Training level. The BE Novice is equal to our Prelim.
    Haven't read the requirements he will have to follow, but I think a few rounds at BE100/Training level to get an idea of how everything has changed in the past 7 years is not a bad thing.

To DW's point, my BF returned to nursing after a "mere" 1-2 year break. She had to adjust to the new class of drugs used for outpatient surgery and recovery-just one of the changes in a short period of time.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

2 members found this post helpful.

Good grief! Prelim at the very lowest!

Having been off as long as three years, I came back at an ancient age. I'll admit it was dressage but last I saw Second and Third up isn't for uncoordinated wimps.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

You tell 'em, FEI. Kiwi dude needs to learn how to ride.

(He's been out competing and also coaching at a high level for the past several years.)

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    You tell 'em, FEI. Kiwi dude needs to learn how to ride.

(He's been out competing and also coaching at a high level for the past several years.)
    You owe me a keyboard.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

2 members found this post helpful.

You know what Jimmy says about the FEI: "Often in error; never in doubt."

29 members found this post helpful.

WTF. Really? You have got to be kidding me

1 members found this post helpful.

Because taking out a fit 4* horse around training level sounds like a really good idea to me.

19 members found this post helpful.

I could see if it were Prelim, but you really think its fair that if Blyth bought a competent 4* horse he would have to go all the way back to Training level?

For me this rule is less about 'knocking the rust off' and more about affecting businesses. Now if an owner wanted to buy a 4* horse for a rider would they pick Blyth who has to go back to BE100, or would they pick someone else who could have it at a 4* by the end of the year? That is the biggest problem with this rule, in my opinion. Its widening the gap even more between the up and comers and the already established pros. Not to mention that it should go without saying that Blyth should be considered an "already established pro!"
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    Because taking out a fit 4* horse around training level sounds like a really good idea to me.

Hell taking them out at Prelim could be scary. Let alone requiring not just one trip...but they have to get ALL the qualifications again.

I agree...this will make the gap even wider. Riders drop out from injury, having kids etc. So now those horses will only ever get passed to established riders because I know if I owned such a horse, I wouldn't want to pay for it now to run all qualifiers again as that will likely be far more runs than just what runs the new rider needs to get a partnership going.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Also, if Blyth needs more rides at PN, all of my horses are available.

24 members found this post helpful.

Awfully nice of you to give an up and comer a shot, JER.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

15 members found this post helpful.

Well, apparently there's room in the clinic at the end of June. You could ask him then!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

The 4* horse doesn't have to go around at Training. Only the jockey.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    The 4* horse doesn't have to go around at Training. Only the jockey.

No...but under the new rules, they will need to go around all the 1*, 2* and 3* qualifications again together as a team. This is the the major problem.

This rule was obviously not made for ex-Olympians, take that out of the equation & it's not so bad a start ... Mr Tate is challenging as is appropriate &, I suspect, will prevail <shrug>