The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Changing names?

I didn't like my horse's track name so when I got her I had to call her something. The name I picked is really common and I'm getting tired of seeing everyone else's horses being called the same thing. The place I got her from has a list of "graduates" and updates on their lives and three of them already have the same name as her. I want to change it, but I'm concerned that people will get confused or think it's stupid. Have you ever changed a name you gave a horse? How did you tell people you'd changed it?

I'm not worried that she'll be confused or not know her name because she didn't respond to her JC name or the name I've been calling her.

Yep. I'd had my horse for two years when I changed his name. It was Houdini. Besides being kind of generic, the name made people think he was an escape artist, and he's not. I liked the magic theme, though, so changed it to Conjure.

I just told people that was his name from now on.

Some people fussed about having to remember the new name, and other people said it was bad luck, but hey, it's my horse, right? I get to call him whatever I please.

I love the name Conjure! I'm thinking about Pippa for my dainty grey filly.

It's good to know this isn't uncommon. And you're totally right - it's your horse, you call him what you choose. Thank you!

Yes, I did it once. I bought an OTTB who came with the original name of Socks. I hated his registered name, Oki Dokie Oka

I decided to name him Justice, which was partly inspired because I was in law school.

However after a year it just wasn't really suiting him. I consulted some friends who agreed, so we changed it to Logan. I moved barns around that time, and was also going away for several months, so I just told the new barn his name and figured by the time I came back, he'd be totally re-christened.

Honestly it wasn't that hard, because the first name just didn't suit him.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I love the name Pippa for a horse!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

I changed my last horse's name because it was a really generic name, Pete. He was not a Pete. I think horses respond more to the inflection and tone of your voice than what you're actually saying. I don't see the big deal in changing it.

I kept my new horse's name though as it fits her perfectly.

I don't know that there should be much worry for a horse responding to their name. I mean, my horse responds the same to me whether I call him, "Kieran" or "Stinky-boo", or "Handsome" or "you jerk!".

But yeah, if the name isn't working, I don't think it's a big problem to change it to something that suits better.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I changed my current horses name as soon as we brought him home! Luckily he didn't yet have his passport so his show name will be his new name "Sullivan". Although I do have to keep the name on his registration papers and CEF will ask for it for record. But, really, what poor horse wants to be known as "Spilled Milk" for ever!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Oh, Lawdy!! The bad luck is brewing!! Changing a horse's name is uber bad luck!! That's an old cowboy tale. Never change a horses' name!! Like never wear a yellow shirt in the arena.

I have always called my horses whatever suited them, once I got to know them (and I didn't know what their original name was, that's the 'out'). My Sammy is actually Samthebigredhorse, because he is.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I think Pippa's a great name! You call her whatever you want, and never mind what other people think. So there.

Thank you everyone! I'm going to announce it officially on Facebook if anyone has any show name suggestions I'm listening! I like Socialite but there's already a horse with that name in my area.

What's her real name and breeding? I wasn't thrilled with old OTTB's real name (Bold McKinnon; he was named for his breeder, who was a friend of the owners and I think he was actually a gift) but I used his pedigree to make up something nicer for showing. Lucky OTOH would keep his real name, Lucky To Cope, as it's clever and also a pedigree name. But if I had to I could go mining there, too, among his relatives and stitch something together that sounded good.

And what does she look like? Though unfortunately marking-based names tend to repeat themselves a lot (everyone thinks they're the first one to come up with puns about socks, not that I've ever had that problem considering none of the equines I've ever owned have had more than a speck of white over an old scar or something.)

My (late) ASB mare came to me with the name Lucky, registered name Plumb Lucky. Ugh. I hate the name Lucky, even though it did fit her considering the situation. We changed her name the day after we brought her home to Freyja. In Norse mythology, Freyja was the goddess of love, beauty, war and death. It fit her 100%

Your horse won't get confused, like another poster said it's more the tone of your voice and the way you speak to them that they respond to. As far as other people having a say in it, It's your horse and you can call him/her whatever you want

Champagne socialite
    Debutant
    Elite
    Uptown
    Upper crust
    Upscale
    Classic
    Just playing off your socialite name.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Champagne Socialite.. I like that! Sounds classy, yet fun and bubbly

We knew we were changing our newest horses name the day we brought him home. His name was Romeo and just didn't suit him. He is a rather plain older fellow with a poor conformation, but he is a saint of a horse. He had NO personality whatsoever, so I would refer to him as Mister Personality when I was heading out to check on him. This name stuck and we call him Mister. Now that he gets daily attention and has two little girls to dote over him, he actually has a great personality! Mister still just suits him though.

I changed my one horse they called blackie lol to hustler. And my other they called Cletus to sandman I call him sans for short mostly and hustler hussy lol. But the names fit them exactly except the hussy part he is a gelding but he is a hustler as a twh he moves quick! Then I looked at is papers and a lot of his ancestors are playboy lol. So it worked
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

A friend of mine got a horse off the track whose racing name was "Mr. C"

He changed it to "Sir Charles"

At least these are sensible.

I knew someone who decided it was really clever to name her OTTB *Baling Twine, for some stupid reason like he got tangled in it when she first brought him home, or some such nonsense.

I mean, Jeeeeze! Poor animal. Who calls a horse that?
    Guess it could have been worse - she could have named him Road Kill or Chew Toy or Toenail Clippings.

*Not exactly the name, but close enough.