The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SmartPak's SmartBug-Off feed thru repellant...experiences?

I've never used a feed thru bug supplement but just got SmartPak's email touting this. I'm considering something this year because my old guy is so sensitive to flies etc. :-(

So, any experiences with SmartPak's version called SmartBug-Off??
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Used it last year in KY when the flies were horrendous, didn't see any difference at all Sorry
    Finally in FL, loving the weather but still missing the Green Mountains!!

I too saw no difference with the Smart Bug-Off, but I have used garlic from www.springtimeinc.com and have noticed a huge difference in the flies and TICKS. I kept my gelding at a friend's house and her place is a perfect place for ticks, in fact, she was pulling them off her horses daily. My gelding had ONE tick the entire summer, and it was on his nostril. The garlic seems to keep flies away from the heavier muscled sections of the body, the face flies still seem to come around, but the body not so much.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

There are two types of "feed through" fly products. The ones like Bug Off and Buggzo are supposed to repel flies. Useless, IME.

The other type (Solitude, Simplifly, Equitrol II) kill fly larvae in the manure. Very useful, IME, but ALL horses on the property need to get it and you need to start feeding it weeks and weeks before the flies come out. Mine have been on it two weeks already.
    Click here before you buy.

I've never tried SmartPak's BugOff, but I've used Animed's BugLyte with good results. I am fairly religious with feeding it during fly season along with using fly predators and I have almost no flies.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I have a very thin skinned TB, that I use it on along with a fly sheet. The combo works for us.

One of mine was really having a problem with mosquitos at a previous barn, so I put him on Horsetech's Buggzo. I did feel it helped as he was less irritated, had fewer bites, etc. compared to other horses near him. He also wore fly sheets almost all the time and was getting Mosquito Halt applied often. So can't say for sure the Buggzo was the primary deterrent for the bugs, but it did seem to be a help. It has a very strong odor that I thought would turn him off (super picky at times), but he eats it right up.

I've tried everything and so far, the only thing I've found that works consistently is Tractor Supply's Horse and Pony Fly Spray. It even keeps the bot flies away.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Tried it on my two. Not sure it worked. And we are pretty sure it bothered my mare's sensitive stomach. My gelding didn't have any problems.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

No difference - after 2 months I stopped.

I tried a jar of SmarBug-Off last summer - used it til the product ran out, and as far as I could see, the product was useless. I got my flies under control with fly predators and fly sheets/masks.

I also tried it with no luck.

We have a horse that has a skin reaction to flies, so we tried the Smart BugOff. While I didn't notice a difference in the numbers of flies, her skin returned to normal. I think that it just helped her deal with the flies that were around.