The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Fly Sheet? Read, Set, Go...

After "Springing Forward" this past weekend.. we can start to look forward to the arrival of all the wonderful bugs and UV rays that pester our horses.

My TB is a dark bay who gets bothered by bugs, sun bleached, and very hot during our NC summers. Last summer we tried the Weatherbeeta mesh fly sheet, and it did a decent job with the sun and the bugs, but it pulled on his shoulders and he sweated rather heavily under it.

So, I am asking all of yall, what is the best and coolest fly sheet out there?

I'm usually a big Weatherbeeta fan, but my Detach-A-Neck fly sheet from them ripped after a few days and that turned into a giant gaping hole. Not impressed!

I LOVE my Schneider's Mosquito Mesh fly sheet. I did make one big modification by cutting the lining out, though--it's a very fine mesh sheet, and the whole chest/shoulder area was lined with a nylon-y type fabric that made my boy way too hot. I also took the same lining out of the matching hood. He has never had any type of rubbing issues, even though he wears them 24/7 during the summer months (he's also a sensitive, thin-skinned bay TB). Now, he's cool and unbothered by the flies. I don't think it helps at all with bleaching, but that's not high up on my list (I believe feeding supplemental copper can help with that, though).

I LOVE this thing! Light enough to not roast a pony in VA summer heat, is comfortable enough that my overly sensitive critter tolerates it very well all summer long, and is cheap enough that if they DO trash it, it doesn't hurt a lot to replace (that being said, I have a couple that are several years old now, and while they may be a little raggedy looking, are still holding up just fine).

I have a Rambo fly buster. Its really strong, never rips, etc but its a bit hot when its really warm out. If the temps go up in the 90's, I take it off. I think ill look into getting the kool kat this summer.

Love my rambo fly buster. It's held up really well and I haven't had any issues with overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I LOVE this thing! Light enough to not roast a pony in VA summer heat, is comfortable enough that my overly sensitive critter tolerates it very well all summer long, and is cheap enough that if they DO trash it, it doesn't hurt a lot to replace (that being said, I have a couple that are several years old now, and while they may be a little raggedy looking, are still holding up just fine).
    If you get the Kool coat you should look around, Smartpak almost always is more expensive.
    http://www.jefferspet.com/kool-coat-.../equ/cp/KO-PL/
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

I'm looking at this http://www.smartpakequine.com/mio-flysheet-6865p.aspx
    I too need it not to make him hot as he's in a paddock with minimal shade. They come in during the hottest part of the day but I worry. He's also a dark bay that I'd like to stay that way!

This thing held up great last summer and will be ready to go again this year! I did remove the lining on front though, to make it a bit cooler.

More than once, I caught my horse raking himself back and forth on a tree trunk and every time it made it through without a misplaced thread.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I love the Turtleneck flysheets. I also have the Amigo fly buster but I feel the boys get much sweatier under that one.

I love the Kensington Protective Sheet http://www.smartpakequine.com/kensin...x?cm_vc=Search
    My horses live out 24/7 and this is one tough fly sheet. It's also nice because when it rains it doesn't get wet, so you don't have to run out at the first sign of rain to take your sheets off. It keeps them cool, keeps the bugs away. LOVE it!

I second the Kensington for those who are tough on sheets. I have witnessed my horse (multiple times) running through the pasture with a pony flying behind him attached to the sheet by his teeth. Not even a scratch on the sheet! They are TOUGH.
    *Emilee

The Kensingtons are durable but I personally think they get too hot.

I bought this one from Weaver

http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-48761

expecting to have to replace then annually as the mesh is so thin but they have now held up for 3 summers and will be going onto summer #4! Really surprising as they are so light weight.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/saratog...et/p/X1-24228/

I've probably just been really lucky but this sheet has lasted 4 years. Its very soft and light. Think I got it cheaper when Dover had a sale but can't remember.

I love my Schneider's Duramesh Fly Sheet. It's strong enough to withstand biting and tugging, but light enough to keep my guy cool when it's 100 degrees out. I have the bellyband version and love it, but there's several different varieties. I know several people who have schneider's sheets and love 'em. The mosquito mesh ones are very popular

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...un-protection/