The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Virginia: Dutch Warmblood mare needs home in other climate due to allergies

15yo 16H Dutch Warmblood mare needs a home in a different climate due to bad allergies to local foliage. Did not show allergies when in Florida several years ago. Prefer non-jumping forever home. Other than allergies mare is sound and loves to work. Well schooled on the flat.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Can you put in your post where you are and what you consider a 'climate change'. Also what has the mare done and can she do? that may help those looking at this ad.

She is currently in N. Virginia. I'd imagine Canada, US Southwest/West coast or Florida would be enough of a climate change. I have no idea whether she'd be better in these other climates but her allergies are seasonal in VA. She's been a 3'6" jumper but is also well schooled on the flat. She has a stop jumping so she can't go to a jumping home. She could certainly have a new life as a low level dressage horse.

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    15yo 16H Dutch Warmblood mare needs a home in a different climate due to bad allergies to local foliage. Did not show allergies when in Florida several years ago. Prefer non-jumping forever home. Other than allergies mare is sound and loves to work. Well schooled on the flat.

My mare has allergies by chance did you try Hilton Herbs? they have a formula that works well. Just a thought.

Have you tried Hilton Herbs Freeway it works for my mare who was rubbing the skin off her face because it was so wet from allergy reaction. It works well and I use it Spring through Fall and take winter off. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressagesrt View Post
    Have you tried Hilton Herbs Freeway it works for my mare who was rubbing the skin off her face because it was so wet from allergy reaction. It works well and I use it Spring through Fall and take winter off. Good luck.
    We've tried everything.

Default Jumping

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    Is the only reason the mare shouldn't jump because she has a stop? And what kind of stop?
    Thanks

Have you tried allergy injections? I manage my heavey horse nicely with allergy injections. It wasn't cheap initially but the maintenance is very managable. Cudo's to you for trying to get her more comfortable even if it means rehoming.
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by equislover View Post
    Have you tried allergy injections? I manage my heavey horse nicely with allergy injections. It wasn't cheap initially but the maintenance is very managable. Cudo's to you for trying to get her more comfortable even if it means rehoming.
    Yes we've tried allergy injections.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis56 View Post
    Is the only reason the mare shouldn't jump because she has a stop? And what kind of stop?
    Thanks
    Yes. We are looking for a guaranteed non-jumping home only.

Hi< I am just trying to get some more clarity to help you and the mare. Does she have heaves or what are her symptoms about her 'allergies'. I have had a lot of experience with horses sent to me with breathing issues and allergies and had have great success. Some have only had to move within our state to improve and live outside 24/7 only needing medication (ventipulmin) once in a blue moon-where before they were on a nebulizer. Another one was retired here from Florida (where she could barely breath). She's done SUPER here, she's been here 4+ years and at age 27+ she's going strong.

The information you are giving is so vague. Also, does she have any vices, other injuries, quirks etc. The more information you can honestly and I mean HONESTLY give the more likely a new good home may appear. Just trying to help.

She is not my horse. She belongs to a friend of mine so sorry if I'm not being clear enough. She has allergies and has been tested for such and shows as allergic to straw and all the foliage in VA such as oak trees, etc. I don't know the full list but I can get it if that will help. She was in Ocala FL one spring and didnt demonstrate any of her allergic symptoms. Primarily she coughs so hard she really can't work. My friend beds her whole barn on straw so we think that is probably the biggest problem. She is a super easy keeper so cannot live outside in lush fields or she will surely founder. I don't think she has any quirks or vices but I will double-check. We do not want her to go to a jumping home because we believe horses should have a job they enjoy and she does not take any kind of joke - even the smallest one with regards to jumping. Let me know what else I can provide you for information. I know she's been doing allergy shots but I don't know if a nebulizer or ventipulmin have been tried. I honestly think everything has been tried. Might be nice to see how she'd do in VA away from a barn that beds on straw. I know its hard for anyone to take the risk of shipping her to another state when she maybe just as bad.

If you are interested or know someone who might be please PM me and I'll get you connected with my friend to discuss further.

A friend has a mare with really bad allergies here in Ocala. Hers were hives, all over, to the point of not being ridable. After all the medical stuff, and herbal stuff, she finally remembered a friend's mare whose allergies went away when she was pregnant. She gave her horse Regumate, the allergies went away - and she only needs a "booster" every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    A friend has a mare with really bad allergies here in Ocala. Hers were hives, all over, to the point of not being ridable. After all the medical stuff, and herbal stuff, she finally remembered a friend's mare whose allergies went away when she was pregnant. She gave her horse Regumate, the allergies went away - and she only needs a "booster" every once in a while.
    Hmmm... That is interesting. Thanks

Do you have any photos or her pedigree?
    I am located in Ontario, Canada
    Crown Ridge Farms
    Breeding Quality Hunter, Welsh and British Riding Ponies
    Youngstock available for sale & Stallions at Stud
    www.crownridgefarms.com

1 members found this post helpful.

She has a new home now. Thanks