The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What percent of your monthly house hold income is spent on your horse(board/lessons)

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 5%

15 11.63%
  • 6%-15%

35 27.13%
  • 16%-30%

32 24.81%
  • 31%-45%

14 10.85%
  • 46%-60%

5 3.88%
  • 61%-75%

2 1.55%
  • over 75%

6 4.65%
  • I refuse to even think about it

20 15.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much of your monthly income is spent on your horse?

So the last few years I have been renting a house on the boarding barns property and since I pitched in a lot we worked an amount out that included my horse's board in rent.

Just bought a house 3ish months ago so am now back to paying board and I am considering upgrading to a place with better facilities so am looking at paying even more.

I am just curious how much of the average horse owners income is spent on their horse every month(lessons, board).

Maybe a percent of the combine total income is most appropriate. For myself the new place will be about 13% and I am having issues feeling like I may be spoiling myself at that level.

I'm in a similar situation. I rent a house on the property I board at, and pasture board for my horse is included in the rent. BO and I have an arrangement where I receive lessons or training rides for my horse in exchange for my work as secretary when we host shows at the barn. So - - excluding lessons and training, but including my horse's share of the rent and other incidentals (barefoot trims, veterinary HMO, and supplements) I'd say I'm spending about 12%.

Not all that much, but I don't have much choice. We don't have much access to many things that I would gladly pay for. Bagged feed, real hay, pro farriers, etc. Plus the dang pony is syringe-phobic so many quality-of-life meds are out of the question.

Now, if we counted the cost of my traveling to trimming school, I'd get bumped up a category or two! But that was a one-time expense.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Actually 13% doesn't feel so bad for some reason before I calculated it I thought it was much more. lol Maybe I need to go tack shopping. ;D

3 members found this post helpful.

Right now, I'm semi-employed and living with my parents - my car takes up about 1/2, and the horse is the other 1/2, give or take.

This is NOT by any means normal! When I am properly employed it's about 15% for just board and normal expences - though I can spend a whole heck of a lot more tack shopping!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Far_North_Equestrian View Post
    Right now, I'm semi-employed and living with my parents - my car takes up about 1/2, and the horse is the other 1/2, give or take.

This is NOT by any means normal! When I am properly employed it's about 15% for just board and normal expences - though I can spend a whole heck of a lot more tack shopping!
    I was actually planning to make a post catagory for that temperary situation. Couldn't word it properly and I was getting impatient to post the poll. lol

A lot. But after housing, transportation, and savings are taken care of, what else am I going to do with my money? Realistically it's not like I'm going to save it all, it would just get spent on a bunch of things that would not bring me the joy my horse does.

2 members found this post helpful.

Ignorance is Bliss I absolutely refuse to add it all up. Too afraid of what I might find. I am married and my husband and I both have significant incomes so it isn't that much of my overall income but, when you are paying for kids and college educations, it still has an impact. Fortunately, he never complains.

I think we're a titch more than 20 percent. Yikes!!

But then again, we're DINKs, and it's how we chose to spend our discretionary income. Otherwise we wouldn't have two big trucks, two trailers, four equines, I think three saddles each (granted two of mine are cheep cheep, to make up for the one spendy one); all the trimmings, basically.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I'm close to 30% but, I am including my barn payment in this number which will be gone in October. It also includes a lesson every week which will slow to one every other week in the next month or so (trying to get ready for shows in April). Once those to factors are gone, I'll be down to 20%. But if we consider that my house payment is 1/2 of my salary so that I could keep my horses at home, then I'm above 75%.

I'm also 25, unmarried, no kids. So after I line off my savings and bills, I dont have anything else I would rather spend my money on.

I choose to pretend that I don't know!

2 members found this post helpful.

I voted in the 46-60 category - similar situation to Far_North's.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Quote Originally Posted by Far_North_Equestrian View Post
    Just about the same. Just finishing my last courses for my degree and then I'll get a job and stop living off savings :/

10 - 15% usually. I try not to go overboard as I would like to retire some day and STILL be able to afford horses.

Well, since I have a farm and almost every bill relates to the horses in some way, my horse expense is scarily high.

For us, the answer would depend a lot on whether you count the mortgage on our place. I can argue for and against that -- we'd be living here regardless of the horses (as we built and moved here when I boarded and never really bought this as "horse property"), but we've also spent a lot of $$$ adding horse facilities so they could all move home. Even if I only include part of the mortgage as horsey, I'm sure the percentage would shock me, so think I'll vote in the don't wanna know category!

Well, since I have no income and am living off savings, one question not asked is "how much of your monthly budget is spent on horses?"

That answer is about 25%, which includes full boarding.

8% before taxes. After taxes and mortgage and 401k/retirement and savings...much much higher percentage. lol

Hard to say for those of us who keep them at home; I'm not sure it's very possible to break down the % of my mortgage that goes toward horses/barn v. our living space...same with taxes, insurance, etc. So, I'll abstain from the poll but the answer is "probably more than I think".

13% of my take-home income. (That's of my own personal income, not household income.) If you add in gas to/from the barn, insurance for the truck (whose sole purpose is to someday haul a horse trailer, though we do find excuses to occasionally use it for other things), I suppose it could sneak up to 15%. When I buy a trailer, it will probably jack up closer to 20% for a while.

And I think I'm pretty bare-bones when it comes to the horse-- board is among the lowest rates around here, Horse is barefoot, pretty good about not hurting himself (*furiously knocks wood*), no trainer, and I only do maybe 1 little local schooling show per year, less than $100.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"