The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So do you honestly want information about why this particular bridle set up might be used, or were you just starting this thread for your own entertainment?

3 members found this post helpful.

As I above stated, the rider had said this was a double bridle. I know nothing about SS so my first inclination was to post on COTH so that maybe someone else had some insight as to what this really was.
    All of this other bullying and slander bologna is just silly.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    Excuse me for being the first COTH member with less than perfect manners. I have no idea where I learned it from.
    Oh, I'll be THAT person. "Don't make these posts"???? Bite me, Renae. Whoever posted this picture posted on a public site. Sorry, but you're gonna get critiques.

Horse seems to be very kind despite being snugged up in unnecessary gear. Other than that... whatever.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

8 members found this post helpful.

Then I suggest you ask your question in the future in a more direct, less accusatory and ridiculing manner. I would also suggest that you let the person whose picture you admit you took from Facebook know that you started a thread about them on the COTH forum.

To answer your question it is not an entirely uncommon saddle seat schooling set up. You will see it much, much more at an Arabian barn than at a Saddlebred barn. The running martingale is not of the style saddle seat riders usually use (the training fork stle with the neck strap hooked to the rings). The draw rein is to ask for flexion, the straight rein is for guiding and to make sure the horse is coming up and back with their flexion, not just dumping over. Two reins are commonly used in the saddle seat world on a snaffle work bridle, although it is usually two straight reins, one through the martingale, on a Saddlebred as the horse's nose being perpendicular with the ground is not as desired of a look on a Saddlebred as it is on an Arab. The two rein set up preps a horse for the full bridle and also teaches a rider how to properly handle two sets of reins before you let them handle an actual full bridle.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    Oh, I'll be THAT person. "Don't make these posts"???? Bite me, Renae. Whoever posted this picture posted on a public site. Sorry, but you're gonna get critiques.
    The OP admits she took this picture from a person's Facebook page and posted it here after she uploaded it to a different site. I do not think the person pictured intended for the picture to be critiqued on the COTH forum without their permission. Definitely a how would you feel if someone did this to you situation, don't you think?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    The OP admits she took this picture from a person's Facebook page and posted it here after she uploaded it to a different site. I do not think the person pictured intended for the picture to be critiqued on the COTH forum without their permission. Definitely a how would a feel if someone did this to me situation, don't you think?
    Good god, woman. If you have used Facebook at all on a mobile phone you would know there is a "view full size" link. If you click on it, it loads the image into a new window and you can zoom the pic on and out. I did so because I was trying to zoom in to see what was going on with the different reins. Then, when I couldn't figure it out, I copied the link and posted it.

Good god, woman. If you have used Facebook at all on a mobile phone you would know there is a "view full size" link. If you click on it, it loads the image into a new window and you can zoom the pic on and out. I did so because I was trying to zoom in to see what was going on with the different reins. Then, when I couldn't figure it out, I copied the link and posted it.

So have you let the person in the picture know that you started a COTH thread about them? The photo was on Facebook, not taken in a public place, to me is a photo to share with one's friends, not a photo they took so that someone could start a critique about them without their permission.

Did you ask the person in the picture why they are riding with that rein set up?

1 members found this post helpful.

Had anyone that posted a sale video, pic of USEF's website, etc emailed them and told them "hi, I just used your pic so I could (fill in the blank.)"
    Go over to the Hunter/Jumper forum...there's a thread going on right now that has a link within it to 4-5 pics of kids riding and their riding got carefully ripped apart.

I'm not ripping apart this kid or this horse, I would however like to know what the tackle in and around the horses face is and there were a few people that kindly answered the question without being a snarky jerk.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm really quite tired of replying to your relentlessly rude and attacking posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    The OP admits she took this picture from a person's Facebook page and posted it here after she uploaded it to a different site. I do not think the person pictured intended for the picture to be critiqued on the COTH forum without their permission. Definitely a how would you feel if someone did this to you situation, don't you think?
    So she took it from an open FB page. Meh. Whatever, then. You seem a bit invested in this. Is that your kid or horse? My FB pages are pretty much secure - as much as FB lets you secure stuff (i.e., not at all). However, I don't post anything that I don't think will get criticized if I'm not ready for it.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Our eyes are focused on the rein setup for now. Give us some time.
    Not mine. I'm too busy checking out the background.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

2 members found this post helpful.

For me it looks like 1 regular rein run through a very short running martingale, and a draw rein.

The set up MIGHT be used to mimic the action of a full bridle.

Christa

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    I had to look back!

As for the OP, if you are so interrested, why didn't you asked this person on Facebook directly?

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post

Excuse me for being the first COTH member with less than perfect manners. I have no idea where I learned it from.

Were you raised in a barn?!?!
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Seems the question has already been answered, so I won't even get in the middle of this argument.

Cute horse though, looks very happy!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I have seen this kind of setup used to introduce riders to the concept of handling two sets of reins. A saddle seat curb is much longer through the shank than you would see with a dressage or hunter double, and reputable saddleseat trainers are VERY concerned with making sure the horse doesn't get hit in the mouth with that kind of leverage. And I have seen a judge (Lori Conway is AWESOME for any Arab people looking for a judge) go over the proper use of the snaffle and curb reins in the lineup during an eq class, and emphasize how important it is to use it correctly. I learned how to handle two reins primarily with a pelham, but the draw/snaffle combo was also used in my education as an addition to the pelham.

I guess it is a running martingale with a second draw rein. I couldn't see it well enough to differentiate between the martingale hookup (german/running). I am now informed

The link would not work for me so, sadly, I have no idea what y'all are arguing about.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique