The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is this contraption?!?

http://photos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...495_n.jpg?dl=1

Look like a combination of a running martingale and draw reins??

It looks like drawreins to the saddle and a German martingale. It is saddle seat!
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

According to the rider, that's a double bridle.

It's hard to tell what goes to where, and there appears to be slack in the reins.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I think we can safely say this is NOT a double bridle.

The rest of it sort of looks like a German martingale + side reins I guess. Or something. Nice picture at any rate, pretty horse and nicely framed.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

6 members found this post helpful.

Ok, looking again: It looks like a driving bit (half shank), very commonly used in saddle seat for "work bits", and the dressage rider in me and (and now saddle seat mom), seems to think that to be a double bridle-you need two bits!! Again, looks like draw reins for one set of reins and some sort of martingale, but likely a German martingale for the other set. Looks like a bit of overkill.

When 2 reins are used, but not on two bits, at the saddle seat barn my daughter rides at-the "snaffle rein" is connected directly to the bit and what would act as the "curb rein" is through the running martingale or on a German martingale.

The dressage rider in my is shuddering now that I know all this! Must go drink wine now and try to revive myself.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm way ahead of you with the wine!

German martingale and a side rein. I've seen the same arrangement used at a show before. Definitely saddleseat

Could Thiedemann Reins/Market Harborough be part of it ?
    http://eurosportnz.com/shopping/pgm-...ion.php?id=204
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Just as an FYI that's not by any means a typical saddle seat setup.

More usually you would see *two* reins coming off the snaffle bit, one of which was run thru the rings of a running martingale or (shorter) training fork set down much lower than we would use one in H/J. The purpose of that is twofold: when used by an experienced rider, it's an aid to headset; but it also serves well for beginners to use with a nice soft snaffle bit to get them accustomed to using double reins without ripping the horse's face off with 7 inches of curb leverage.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Could Thiedemann Reins/Market Harborough be part of it ?
    http://eurosportnz.com/shopping/pgm-...ion.php?id=204
    Same thing as a German martingale but with a fancy name

That is not a German martingale, it is a running matingale used with a draw rein.

A German martingale would have the martingale clipping to rings on the reins. This setup has the reins running through a ring, thus a running martingale.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

2 members found this post helpful.

cute horse and kid...but where are the helmet police?? unusual rein setup...and the driving bit???

I think what's throwing people is that it's a running martingale like H/J peeps would use (just shorter), and not the type of training martingale people usually see used on SS horses.

But it's just a martingale and a draw rein.

The "driving bit" is a common work bit used in SS barns. No law saying you're only allowed to use a half-cheek on a horse in harness...

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    cute horse and kid...but where are the helmet police?? unusual rein setup...and the driving bit???
    Our eyes are focused on the rein setup for now. Give us some time.

3 members found this post helpful.

To me, the picture looks like a rein from the hand to the running martingale to the bit, plus an additional draw rein. Perhaps the two reins in the hand is why the rider (or whoever) is calling this a "double bridle" wherever this photo came from.

It is a draw rein run back through a running martingale and a straight (direct rein). It is normal in the saddle seat world to use half cheek snaffles as work snaffles, nothing says a half cheek snaffle is only for driving. It's a schooling set up, and certainly not nearly as complex the the ways show jumpers come up with to put together bits (snaffles, elevators, pelhams, etc.), martingales and nosebands (kineton, figure 8, drop, flash, etc.).

I question the motive of the OP in starting this thread. The picture is clearly of a junior exhibitor. Do you have her parent's permission to be posting this picture? This seems like teeange bullying/ridicule.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, this photo was posted as a public picture on a social media website. I had made it full size and then copy and paste the link which is why the URL is goofy.

And thank you for saying my question of the use of the device automatically means I'm a teen bullying a junior rider. Ridiculous.

Then ask a question about why would a saddle seat rider use a draw rein run through a running martingale and with an auxillary straight rein for schooling.

Don't make these posts:

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    According to the rider, that's a double bridle.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    I'm way ahead of you with the wine!
    That is ridiculing someone, and that could be construed by the person in the picture as bullying. Do you know the person in the picture?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Then ask a question about why would a saddle seat rider use a draw rein run through a running martingale and with an auxillary straight rein for schooling.

Don't make these posts:

That is ridiculing someone, and that could be construed by the person in the picture as bullying. Do you know the person in the picture?

Excuse me for being the first COTH member with less than perfect manners. I have no idea where I learned it from.

5 members found this post helpful.