The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    Thank you for again proving you are non compos mentis. I direct your attention to post#127 above as proof of my statement. And, since the truth is an absolute defense, I cannot, at least in this instance, be accused of ad hominem.

You owe me a public apology for trying to steal my work. Failing that, perhaps the Mods will give you a time-out for your egregious transgression.

That is a demonstrable lie. Do you wish to add liar to your already sullied reputation?

Yet again you put on display your inability to read and write for content in context with comprehension. You are trying to swim in the deep end of the critical thought and analysis pool when you belong in the kiddie pool.And. save the Moderators, there is no lifeguard on duty...
    Lucky for you, the mods deleted it.

Back on topic, I think the OP has made a wise decision in leaving shoes on her horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    Lucky for you, the mods deleted it.
    Yeah, saved your sorry, word and thought stealing, self again.
    Back on topic, I think the OP has made a wise decision in leaving shoes on her horse.
    Finally figured it out didja'?
    Last edited by Rick Burten; Mar. 16, 2013 at 02:09 AM.

Take a look at your post. As I said, the quote feature is a little difficult for you, thanks for proving it again.

I hope the OPs horse's hooves stay healthy.

I believe it's best to do what works for the horse. I have a horse with chronic issues, that every shpeing tried had adverse effects. He was way sounder as soon as I have up and pulled his shoes against my vets advise. Next time my vet saw the horse he remarked on the difference barefoot made. However I know horses they are only sound with special shoeing package. Listen to your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 3 View Post
    Please return the discussion to the OP's original topic, or the thread will be closed.

Mod 3

This OP is quite happy for the thread to go away. Jeesh. I'm sorry I ever asked!!!!! (That being said, it's too bad I couldn't have shared with COTHers some of what happened vis a vis my consultation with barefoot trimmer and my subsequent conversations with my farriers. I've learned a lot this week as I decided what to do next and who to do it with.)
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Oh goody, a 4th grade joke. I'd forgotten about those...
    Would you care to read your post #76 ? So when I respond to a 2nd grade education I respond like a 4th grader.

Do us all a favor, keep your pants on.
    Why are you referring to my pants? They have nothing to do with this post.

And quit posting balderdash on the Internet. Most all of your posts tend to be, shall we say, not the type readers tend to respect.
    Do have an ignore button? Use it! Why don't you speak specifically for yourself?
    When you start with a post as you did back on #76 you can expect a like response.......
    Last edited by Charlie Piccione; Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: edit
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

Quote Originally Posted by ljc View Post
    This OP is quite happy for the thread to go away. Jeesh. I'm sorry I ever asked!!!!! (That being said, it's too bad I couldn't have shared with COTHers some of what happened vis a vis my consultation with barefoot trimmer and my subsequent conversations with my farriers. I've learned a lot this week as I decided what to do next and who to do it with.)
    Please share it. I'd be interested to hear what they said.

Sorry for my part in the hijack.

Dear OP - I am sure you have tons of good stuff to share. I had a horse with wedges and such who retired to simpler kegs with a good farrier. There are lot of potentials to consider. Sorting this stuff out and consulting with professionals is one of the big positives of ownership.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

I, too, would love to hear your update.

I would love to read an update but I honestly doubt the OP could share without stepping right into the middle of it all over again. Maybe PM?
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

OP, if I were you, I'd leave shoes on the horse for the following reason: If the transition to barefoot does not go well, your horse could end up with hoof problems that are worse than the problems he's had all along. If he's ok now with shoes in front, then if you can afford shoeing, I'd continue having him shod. Based upon what you've posted about his hoof issues over the years.

I had 3 ottb mares and all had good hooves and wore shoes. (My last ottb mare ended up with terrible hooves for a year, due to a Dex shot given by a vet. But she wore shoes before, during, and after the issues caused by Dex.)

But to answer the question posed in your first post: Yes, there are some horses who can never go barefoot. I have the white hooved German WB with shelly hooves under a big body. Both farriers that I've had (one is now retired, probably exhausted from shoeing Cloudy) have tried to have Cloudy go barefoot. Over my objection, since I think all horses should wear shoes. Both farriers tried several times to do this. It did not work out, and they both had to admit that Cloudy will be shod forever.

My farriers actually brag about getting shod horses out of shoes and barefoot sound. One got the 18.2 2 club footed ex-girlfriend of Cloudy transitioned into a sound, barefoot horse. In my experience, farriers are more concerned about the horses than about making money off of all the pour-in pads and special shoes I've had to pay for for all these years.

So consult with your farrier and your vet, and decide what is best for your horse. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rainechyldes View Post
    I didn't read through all the replies, and I do have several competitive barefoot horses -- but given his history I don't think I would be wanting to go barefoot.
    Not because transitioning a horse to barefoot is super hard if you are careful about it, but more so due to the fact that he does have some issues that are being managed (from the sound of it) quite well at the moment.

IMO - this one would fit under the 'don't fix it if it ain't broke' rule if he were mine.
    I totally agree with this, based upon my experiences in hoof issues in my horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    Do have an ignore button? Use it!
    Yawn. Why don't you just go away. You never post anything worth reading. But, if you don't do us all a favor and go away, using the ignore feature on you is a grand idea.

I guess it'd be great if the OP gave updates, but the outcome seemed like a no-brainer, as long as she can get a good enough farrier to come out to the horse's new digs. My understanding was that the horse may be moved out of the current farrier's range.

As I said, the quote feature is a little difficult for you, thanks for proving it again.
    Actually, I was just following the template you yourself established at post #103.
    It has been said by some that mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery and as I have proven, I live to flatter you. lol!
    I hope the OPs horse's hooves stay healthy.
    Well, since it appears that she has chosen a prudent protocol rather than listening to or following the nattering of the lunatic fringe, it is a distinct probability that she and her horse will be satisfied and comfortable with the outcome.

Actually, I was just following the template you yourself established at post #103.
    It has been said by some that mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery and as I have proven, I live to flatter you. lol!

Well, since it appears that she has chosen a prudent protocol rather than listening to or following the nattering of the lunatic fringe, it is a distinct probability that she and her horse will be satisfied and comfortable with the outcome.
    Give it up. I use the 'reply with quote' button. Any code errors after that are from you.

Speaking of listening to advice, weren't you the one that said people who make typos (even edited ones) are those not worth listening to? Something about them being too stupid to type correctly made their advice worthless. Hope you heed it.

Charlie, I'm impressed with our ability to recognize complex pathologies like narcissistic personality disorders. Bravo!

Default Jingles & AO for a great riding weeekend for All ~ sound horses barefoot or shod !

Jingles & AO for a great riding weekend for ALL ~ sound horses barefoot or shod ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

3 members found this post helpful.

MODS, MODS where are you with your magical LOCK BUTTON?!?!?!

Give it up. I use the 'reply with quote' button. Any code errors after that are from you.
    Too bad you don't know how to use it correctly as your code errors are manifest and routine. Bravo! I expect no less from you and you never fail to reward me with your efforts.
    Speaking of listening to advice, weren't you the one that said people who make typos (even edited ones) are those not worth listening to? Something about them being too stupid to type correctly made their advice worthless. Hope you heed it.
    There's your lack of ability to read content in context with comprehension, showing off yet again. What I wrote was "certain people who make typos........" and I specifically, named you. I, because of my 'acknowledged and recognized greatness' by others, am exempt. LOL! Ergo, as is routinely demonstrated when comparing our writings/opinions/advice, I am to be heeded and you are not. Simple, n'est-ce pas? Even sans such recognition, anyone with more than two operant cognitive brain cells, has figured that out. I offer as proof of that fact, the replies that will follow. Those with working brains will respond in the affirmative, the rest of the 'less than two operant cognitive brain cell' cadre will interject themselves with malovelence.

"Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war" The Bard. LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

Too bad you don't know how to use it correctly as your code errors are manifest and routine. Bravo! I expect no less from you and you never fail to reward me with your efforts.

There's your lack of ability to read content in context with comprehension, showing off yet again. What I wrote was "certain people who make typos........" and I specifically, named you. I, because of my 'acknowledged and recognized greatness' by others, am exempt. LOL! Ergo, as is routinely demonstrated when comparing our writings/opinions/advice, I am to be heeded and you are not. Simple, n'est-ce pas? Even sans such recognition, anyone with more than two operant cognitive brain cells, has figured that out. I offer as proof of that fact, the replies that will follow. Those with working brains will respond in the affirmative, the rest of the 'less than two operant cognitive brain cell' cadre will interject themselves with malovelence.

"Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war" The Bard. LOL

Again, I'm using the 'reply with quote' button. Go back and look at your mistake and then edit it.

You can't figure out which way the pointy end of a bracket goes. I'm sure glad you're not shoeing my horse.