The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default what very lovely horses

Not clear on the purpose of working without reins, seems to be a competition, but what wonderful animals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tvaPjTWZsI0
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

I watched a pair doing complicated maneuvers with a farm cart on voice command only (no lines, no one in the cart) at an auction a few years ago--it was beautiful. The horses were Amish owned, and I believe they train this way so the farmer can be out of the cart doing other things while the horses are working.

I figured if the big drafts could do it, my pony could do it, and I tried training him to respond to voice cues only when needed. I have rheumatoid arthritis, which affects my hand strength way too much and also occasionally causes me to drop the lines. I didn't go to the level that some of the drafts can do, but he will stop, back or go forward on voice only. Very handy (pun intended).

Rebecca

I think working horses would have had to do this while farmer/lumberjack/etc had hands full or was looking elsewhere. My dad told me that the littlest kids would work the team while the big kids & adults piled on (& took off) the hay. None of us is going to stop them with brute force, that's for sure.

makes me think we should have higher expectations of our horses (& kids).

Shouldn't all driving horses be more or less voice trained? at least the WHOA!

1 members found this post helpful.

When I first learned to drive a pair, I was astonished that they had voice commands for left and right turns For some reason, I thought that would be a difficult concept for horses, but it seemed to be easier for the horses then, say, elementary school children. :-)

Ive seen somethng similar on facebook - a french logger whose Percheron horse operates on voice commands. He does have reins but does not seem to have to use them. It's really wonderful.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
    When I first learned to drive a pair, I was astonished that they had voice commands for left and right turns For some reason, I thought that would be a difficult concept for horses, but it seemed to be easier for the horses then, say, elementary school children. :-)
    HA HA HA HA!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
    Gee & Haw, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    Gee & Haw, anyone?
    Or come and get.

It's amazing what some trainers can achieve with horses!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

absolutely stunning horse flesh! But I was laughing out loud at how desperately funny the guy was yelling! he sounded so panicky and the horses were like, dude, we got this, calm the heck down, bro....

gorgeous!!!
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Am I the only one that wants to "squeeze the charmin"? I could walk behind those lovely rumps all day long.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.