The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Long distance shipping - recommendations?

I'm excited to finally be making arrangements to move my horse from FL to CT. I moved in December, but my boy's move has been delayed a few times. I have traditionally used Brookledge for long distance hauls and have been happy with them, however this time around I would like to get some additional quotes before making the final decision. I know there are a ton of rigs that will be headed north out of FL in the next month. Any recommendations of good shippers and/or ones to stay away from?

We usually use Brookledge but have had horses shipped into us long distance via Johnson. Everyone arrived safe, sound and happy.

I used Cox Equine Transportation about 5 years ago for a TX to CT trip and was pleased. It was $1050.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I'm moving Herself from VT to KY, and have gotten good quotes/service from JR Hudson, he's wicked friendly and while he doesn't have a load going my way, he's helping me find somebody who is for the same price he quoted me.

I got a super cheap quote from US Horse Transport, but it almost seems to cheap.

Have also gotten good reviews from people who have used Beacon Hill (but never received a quote from them), Cox, Brookledge, Bateman, and Bob Hubbard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

http://www.candehorsetransportation.com/

C&E brought my Big Guy from FL to IN in just over 24h.
    He arrived in great shape and they were very nice to work with.
    I made all arangements by phone (on the recommendation of the BO who gave me the horse) and could not have been more satsified.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

1 members found this post helpful.

Oy! Really bad timing. If I were you, I think I would wait to ship on a commercial rig out of FL. With the EHV-1 issue at HITS (and possibly elsewhere in the state), I would absolutely NOT want my horse on a commercial rig with other horses coming out of FL right now.

Thanks everybody. I was very happy with Brookledge, but admittedly I gulped at the quote that I received from them so I wanted to check a few other reputable shippers as well. My horse won't leave until the first of April so I'm hoping that by that time we will have a better idea on whether or not the EHV-1 is becoming a widespread issue or remains isolated.

I have used Nationwide Horse Transportation and Tony Aprile Horse Transportation, both multiple times, both with good results. I have also used a private carrier but she is no longer doing hauling for people, so I won't mention her here...someone else is now using her business name and I can't speak for them.

Hey, When are you wanting your horse moved? I am heading to FL with my show ponies and will have an empty trailer heading north. I'd be happy to help you out.

My top three are: Judge Manning, W.J. Barry and Nobody's Business Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by dorthyinoz View Post
    Hey, When are you wanting your horse moved? I am heading to FL with my show ponies and will have an empty trailer heading north. I'd be happy to help you out.
    He won't be ready to leave FL until March 31 (has a vet appointment March 30 and can't leave until after that).

Shouting out for Tapp! That's who I finally settled on. Picking up my mare in VT, then swinging by and picking up #2 in PA before bringing them to me in KY. $1500 WITH my big girl in a box stall. They've got great reviews from everybody that I've talked to as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Good to know! I'll be sending my three down to our new house in Kentucky in the next twelve months so will need to arrange transport for them. Let us know how they arrive!
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

OP....my tri-state clients usually use NYCONN (Wilton, CT) or Pony Express. Drivers are horse people and I can't say enough good things about both of them!

http://ponyexpresshorsetransport.com/
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I just had a very positive experience with Lukens. Nobody's Business Farm came highly recommended and they suggested Lukens when they weren't able to work within the time frame I needed.

I used Sallee and loved them and easy to deal with! Anne is a delight to deal with!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

I used Meadowbrook Transport to bring my new guy from Rochester, NY to FL last year. The guys were great, I'd highly recommend them.

LetItBe
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

Equine Express www.equineexpress.com they did a great job hauling my horse from Texas to AZ but they haul nationwide. Good prices, great communication, nice nice people. My horse arrived happy and healthy, they even provided him with an extra large box, at no extra, when it was apparent that he wasn't going to fit in the one that I had arranged.