The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I have owned and loved an alpha mare for six years, and I have to say I agree with answer A of the OP's original post with slight variations..

"Through consistent, correct, and fair work, including rewards, the RIDER (your truly) learns what the HORSE (Miss Maresy) expects, and decides at some point through free will that she will submit to the wishes of the horse (Miss Maresy).
    Last edited by Brooklyn Born; Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

This thread has been thoroughly amusing and encouraging! Thank you all!

My mare is loads of fun and I wouldn't trade her for anything!!! She is (now) one of the trustworthiest horses I have ever ridden. I guess I'm just a little tired of my trainer's 'yes, this is a lot better than last time, but it still $ucks.' followed with the "she must submit" speech

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionsEverything View Post

My mare is loads of fun and I wouldn't trade her for anything!!! She is (now) one of the trustworthiest horses I have ever ridden. I guess I'm just a little tired of my trainer's 'yes, this is a lot better than last time, but it still $ucks.' followed with the "she must submit" speech
    You will get there. And it will all be worth it. I discussed this very topic with my trainer, and she said the best thing: "Submission gained by use of force leads to depression. Or a revolution"

2 members found this post helpful.

"A mare convinced against her will
    is of the same opinion still."

(Adapted from an old saying of my dad's.)

1 members found this post helpful.

I seem to end up with nothing but alpha mares. They are a lot different in how they work, but the idea of being fair and getting trust is a big one.

My GP mare was hot, hot, hot, hot and would run laps around the horses in the pasture, and then I would gallop up a steep mile hill, twice, before schooling, or it was just a fight. She just had to get it out. Trying to force her to be calm was not going to work.

The one I have now is hot, but warmblood hot. Someone had clearly tried to force her to be calm by holding her hard and slow. The first thing I did was not hold her back and not try to stop her, then let her think about what she wanted to do. I learned the hard way you can't "work" it out of her. She needs a lot to DO, though, so being herd leader, having a baby, and working is just about enough for her. You also do not repeat with her. If it's not working, find another way, or leave it. Or stand and be still and mediate for a bit. If I push it, she turns into a whirling ball of bouncing legs.

I think with the alpha mares it's finding what works and listening to what they need. Once they see that, they will do anything for you and claim you. My mare is not the all cuddly type like her daughter, but she has to be the first to come to me and stand nearest me because it's her right. I give her jobs and trust her with them. They need jobs. Sort of like working dogs.

Yes. You are on the right track. Nothing will ever go right all of the time, but as long as it's going in the right direction, you're good. One problem is not the end of things, either. If it keeps repeating, try a new tactic.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionsEverything View Post

heh, I am so there with you!

One of the things I love about my alpha mare is that I can trust her, and g-d help me if I don't.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Find work she enjoys and help her understand that if she cooperates she gets to do fun things!

Well my gelding must've had a sex change operation!