The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going to Brussels, any tack shops worth visiting?

I'm headed to Brussels for work and would love to find a tack shop to see all the fun things for sale in Europe that we don't have here (and hopefully bring some home). Does anyone know of any good shops either in Brussels or within walking distance of a train stop?

I've found some on line but can't get a feel for what they carry and whether the particular store would be worth the train ride.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiegem View Post
    I'm headed to Brussels for work and would love to find a tack shop to see all the fun things for sale in Europe that we don't have here (and hopefully bring some home). Does anyone know of any good shops either in Brussels or within walking distance of a train stop?

I've found some on line but can't get a feel for what they carry and whether the particular store would be worth the train ride.

Thanks!
    Only one I ever remember being impressed by was Sellerie Gilbert, in Nivelles - which is just outside of Brussels.

Sorry I can't be of more help, it's been a long time. I lived in Brussels for 4 years, when I was 13-17 yrs old. I just used to buy my stuff at the tiny tack store attached to the barn (riding club) where I rode. I don't think that one's in business anymore.

That does help! I did see that one on the list I found on the web and was able to find a train that can get me out there (at least, I think I did! Will need to confirm that once I get to Brussels).

Somewhere in or just outside the town of Ohain (suburb of Brussels) or on the road between Waterloo and Ohain is a saddle shop with a big rearing horse in front of it. ....don't remember names or streets...perhaps someone will chime in

Not sure there are any train stops near there....went there by car.
    Last edited by pluvinel; Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Thanks Pluvinel! I'll see if I can find that one on line to give me an idea of where it might be.

What kind of stuff will you be spending your hard-earned money on?

1 members found this post helpful.

Lucky you! I lived in Sint Stevens-Woluwe (commune of Brussels) from 13 to 17 yrs of age. My father worked at NATO and I rode in Tervuren. If you can get over to London, I have a very good friend who lives there and she can tell you where to go. She trains and shows in the London area. I believe Decathlon stores carry some riding apparel and tack. Sellerie Gilbert in Nivelles, Equipasson in Wavre and Kerckhaert in Temse.

Very similiar up bringing Pluvine! Have a wonderful time and don't eat too much of the fresh bread!!

No tack shop help, but if you have time, visit Brugges, it is such a beautiful quaint town.

PletchersMom, I'm spending Friday in Brugges! I can't wait, the photos on line look fascinating.

I did find Sellerie Gilbert on FB and It looks like a great shop. I'll head out that way on Monday before the meetings start.

Wicky, I'm thinking something wildly colorful

Thank you all!!