The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting Tall Boots Taken In?

I've heard a lot of people getting their boots made bigger (with elastic inserts), or adding a zipper but can they be taken in? I recently lost 25 pounds with at least another 15 to go. I have lost about an inch (or just under) off my calves. My expensive (for me) show boots that I got last year (and only wore to 2 shows) now fit a bit loose. I think they can still be usable yet, however after another 15+ pounds I'm not sure if the same can still be said.
    I would really not like to have to sell them as, like I said, they were expensive and I really like them and though they are "like new" I'm still not gonna get back nearly all my money on them.
    However even if they can be taken in, who do I get to do it? I would be really worried about just taking it to a regular shoe repair place as boots have to be fitted so well. I would hate to have them done then they fit wonky and can't even be sold.
    Has anyone ever done this? Who did you get to do them? Did they turn out? How much did it cost?

And if you do think it's better to sell them, how much do you think I could get for them? I won't give the brand as I don't want people to think I am trying to advertise them but they were 799 when I bought them. I rode in them maybe for a week at home to break them in (put them on just before getting on, took them off immediately after getting off) and showed in them for 2 weekends (putting them on only for riding (though I did have to walk a couple courses in them) and taking them immediately after dismounting. Wiped down thoroughly after each use and kept in original box.

Yes, they can be taken in. I'm not sure what the limit is on how much, but an inch doesn't sound unreasonable.

Where do you live? You should be able to find someone experienced in working on riding boots. The shoe repair guys that do work for Dover Saddlery are a 20 minute drive from my office, so that's where I go for boot work.

The last time I had boots take in was in the late 70s, so I have no info on current cost. Last year, I paid $120 to have both zippers replaced in mine, that was at the shop Dovers sends out to and in an expensive area, so it may or may not be relevant.

I had mine taken in Im pretty sure over an inch(I could fit my arm down them! But that's another story) they look great and fit prefect now.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

It can be done. I would either take them to a place that specializes in riding boots or get some good recommendations to find a place that does riding boots regularly. This is not something I would take to my corner shoe repair guy.

Case in point... I did ask a regular show repair guy to fix a zipper. He did such a horrible job I had to pay someone else to redo it. The first guy didn't use the right glue and couldn't sew them properly because of it!! Thankfully they were not my customs because they now look meh.

Now when I went to my first Vogel fitting, they took the boots in further and you would never know. They look perfect!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

THanks guys. How much did it cost to have them taken in?
    I did have the corner store shoe repair guy put new zippers on my boots when they broke and they came back looking and working great.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    I did have the corner store shoe repair guy put new zippers on my boots when they broke and they came back looking and working great.
    I had mine taken in at a leather repair place that specialized in tack/boots etc. It cost me about $100 and they came out very nicely. (And then I gained the weight back - but that's another story!)

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Can you give me the name of the place you took yours too? Mine were done at Equiproducts after the zip broke after only 2 uses and they did an absolutely appalling job and I need to see if they can be fixed!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I can't remember his name I think the place is called Midnapore shoe repair (or clinic) in the same parking lot as scotiabank and pizza hut in midnapore

1 members found this post helpful.

I saved this link from a previous topic. I've not used them myself:
    http://www.ridingbootrepair.com/

I had a pair of boots taken in at Man Mur Shoe Shop in Raleigh, NC. I don't know where you're located, but they did such a fabulous job that I would even recommend mailing stuff to them to have it fixed.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

We just had this done to my daughters customs that she has had for 2 years now and they turned out great - cost us $50.

Thanks guys. I am happy that it seems something that can be done and done well. I think I will try and talk to the tack stores around me and see if they have recommendations.