The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Happy!

Now that we've made it to KY and all settled, I just had to show off our new girl, Happy.

She's a 5 year old OTTB mare that we got from a trainer in PA. She's super sweet, has a little bit too much fun in turnout (i.e you can't catch her without grain!), and Mr. Minion is already smitten with her.

I originally bought her as a resale project, but I don't know if we're going to be able to let her go! She's going to get some time off and some ground manners installed before I get on her, but I'm pretty excited!

We've been calling her Happy in the barn (JC name Happy Minstral) but I'm not sure if it fits (and DH says it reminds him of Happy Menstrual... and well... yea...thanks for ruining it honey.)

And of course... Pictures below! Open to name suggestions.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...74274729_n.jpg

Some lovin'

Meeting Herself for the first time...not even a squeal!

Public video (the footing in the indoor is rock hard at the moment... they don't go out for very long)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

What a cutie! Enjoy the journey.

She's gorgeous! What about "Happy Camper?" She definitely looks like a happy girl.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Lovely! Congratulations and welcome to KY!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Yay, so cute!!! What about Happyhappyhappy? (you Duck Dynasty peeps will get that one)

4 members found this post helpful.

I'd name her after a favorite singer i.e. Dolly for Dolly Parton. She looks very sweet!

I was thinking Happyhappyhappy (we're HUGE on DD around here. )!

She's super sweet and a lot quieter than I thought she would be. She has a HUGE freeze branded "48" on the right side of her neck. Anybody have any clue what that's about? Not that we can change it, but just curious as I don't see a lot of them on OTTB's. You can kind of see it in the pic with DH.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

1 members found this post helpful.

I can find nothing wrong with Happy Minstrel, since one of my favorite horses traced her line back to Tudor Minstrel...

But I guess since DH has made that connection, might as well change it.

Lovely girl (and I am seeing a theme here... browns?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I would leave her registered name and just call her Happy. Many years ago, our farm bred and raced standardbreds, and the farms name was Happy Valley Stock Farm. Many horses here had names that started with "Happy". I had a filly (different breed) that I named Happy Our Margarita and called her Rita. I also like Happy Valley Girl. Something fun that you can show her under if you show.

I had a Happy Easter, Happy Mother's Day, and Happy Holiday.

Happy Dayze would be cute.

Those two are twins.

Happy is a perfectly good name and she does look happy.

With names, some times, is better to give that some time and they will name themselves.

I have a horse I would like to name something else that he came with, but he really knows his name, so we are stuck with it.
    What does she respond to best?

Two pretty mare mares!! Perhaps you have a type?
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I think you might have a type!

I LOVE the name HappyHappyHappy! Come on, you know you love it.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

LOL. That's what DH said when I came home and informed him that I bought another big bay mare. He said he's starting to question our marriage since he's not tall and brown. I informed him that he is indeed a brunette, at least, and not to worry.

I do agree about keeping her barn name Happy because that's what we've been calling her (I've been calling them the little mare and the big mare... even though there is only maaybe an inch difference). She doesn't really respond to anything at the moment, but she also doesn't know what a cookie is (Herself will show her, I'm sure!). I'm excited for the ground to firm up a little bit and actually get her outside with a friend. She runs a bit in the indoor, but I think it's because she can't see anybody. This red clay doesn't do so well when wet for shenanigans!

So pretty.

She's gorgeous!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Congrats on "Happy"! Glad that you made the move OK and are already settled in.

I guess this means we're not going on a trail ride anytime soon!

That's why you need to come down for Rolex, Shine! I have two horses now... and LOTS of trails! AND reasonable weather (hopefully... but at least not -10).

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    That's why you need to come down for Rolex, Shine! I have two horses now... and LOTS of trails! AND reasonable weather (hopefully... but at least not -10).
    Anything more than -10 I would agree is "reasonable".

I am glad you choose Happy, that really seems to be a good name for her, for now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I was thinking Happyhappyhappy (we're HUGE on DD around here. )!

She's super sweet and a lot quieter than I thought she would be. She has a HUGE freeze branded "48" on the right side of her neck. Anybody have any clue what that's about? Not that we can change it, but just curious as I don't see a lot of them on OTTB's. You can kind of see it in the pic with DH.
    Was she bred in WV? My boy had a huge freeze brand on his neck as well and it was the way the breeder identified which mare it went to. Apparently they do this on all their stock.

Congrats on acquiring an OTTB! She is very cute, in fact looks a lot like my mare, Flight. I, too, have a thing for solid dark bay thoroughbreds. I had a black lab named Happy and always loved the name!

As for the brand, I have never seen it or heard about it. Seems really strange to me and I can imagine that some people would reject an otherwise good OTTB because of it.

Have fun with her!