The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunter Rise, Regular vs. Long length?

I am curious to know if the rise of Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunters (specifically low rise, front zip) changes with the length of the breeches. My current pair of supposedly low rise Trophy Hunters hit about half an inch over my belly button while off my horse, but the second I get on they are mid rib cage and have a large gap in the waistband. They are 24L, and I am wondering if the rise is higher on the long length breeches, because most peoples TS's actually hit at a reasonable point for them being low rise. I would go into a local tack store to compare myself, but they rarely have size 24 regular, or long in stock.

For reference, my upper body is a little bit short in comparison to the length of my legs, but it isn't so drastic that everything low rise is way too high.

Thank you!

Yes, the Long are longer through the waist, as well. Not sure of the exact amount, of course.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Yes, the Long are longer through the waist, as well. Not sure of the exact amount, of course.
    I agree... not by a ton, but I've noticed this as well

Yes, the longs are a bit longer in the rise, that's why I buy them . I wear a 28L and they fit perfectly, BUT, I have a long waist, even for my height 5'9". If I try on an R, I not only lose a bit in the leg (which doesn't matter that much, since it's under my boots), but lose some in the rise, which does cause a problem because the low rise is then hitting down close to my hips and then the waist is too small.

If the knee patch still falls in approximately the right place on your leg, you might want to try a regular length, so the waist fits better. Where the bottom comes on your calf should be covered by socks/boots/half chaps, etc...so no one will know if the leg is a bit short.

For comparision, the Trophy Hunter low rise sits about an inch below my belly button, off the horse, and then fit through the hips well and don't gap when I'm in the saddle. If they are coming up over your belly botton, you'd probably need the shorter rise.

Length definitely changes the rise! My 26 Shorts low rise hit noticeably lower than my 26R low rise.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

Thank you all so much! Its great to know that I'm not crazy!