The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Broke, Trail-safe, Adorable 9yo Mule (MA/New England)

Through no fault of his own, my 13.2-ish pony mule is coming home after two years out on lease.

He is solid for any confident, advanced beginner out on the trails. He clips, ties, trailers, bathes, stands for vet, farrier, etc, etc, etc. Very well-mannered. He's barefoot and sound as a rock.

His leaser has mostly trail-ridden him, but has done some general western riding/lessons with him in a ring setting. He's a genial guy and will go along with almost any plan.

He is 100% safe with me, but I have another young project horse and he likes being busy. (Initially why I sent him out on lease.)

I will get videos/updated riding photos as soon as he's home with me, but here are some photos of the cute guy:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...27826488_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...11362075_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2351115_n.jpg

Lease terms and length of time are negotiable. He will NOT leave my ownership at any point, and goes with a firm contract which is reviewed yearly. (You can speak to his current leaser if seriously interested...I am 100% hands off, and no silly regulations in the lease, but he was plucked from a bad situation and won't end up there again.) But for the right home I will cover some costs/be negotiable.

He needs to stay in the New England area unless you've got some great references and are in a warm sunny place where I'd like to vacation.
    Last edited by GoForAGallop; Mar. 12, 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Bump.

I've had a few inquiries about him for a pasture pet, but I'd really love for him to DO something....he'd particularly adore a confident child, but anyone will do at this point!

Just to clarify: the contract is firm, but nothing crazy like keeping his mane a certain length. It's just common sense stuff, like letting me know when his "permanent residence" changes if you swap boarding barns. The rest is just two pages of what happens if he disappears under your watch, which no DECENT person needs to worry about.

I saw him twice in two years, at the contract renewal, and his current leaser will undoubtedly be glad to talk to serious parties about how not-crazy I am.

He's adorable. I'm a sucker for longears, and he looks like a real sweetie.

Sent you a pm !

--nhhaflngr

If I were in New England, I would apply. He looks like the perfect size for a driving mule. But we are south of the Mason-Dixie Line, sigh!

What a cutie. Let me who him to my daughter and we may be interested. We're in NYS-about 20 miles from Cornell.

Hey, sent you another PM, waiting to hear from you.

Gah, sorry, didn't get the notification for the first! (I browse on my phone, mostly.)

Will respond ASAP, in the middle of purchasing a car today so it will probably be later this evening.

Hi Gallop, it's been 5+ days and I have not heard from you. IS he still available? We are interested but if we find other horses we may have to pass. I don't want to put the pressure on but I need to move forward. Please email me so we can get the ball rolling. Thanks

Thanks Prowling COthers. You should be patting yourselves on the back now. Sad how Cowardly you all are but that's the way society is today. Hide behind a keyboard. Everyone has faults, even me, even YOU. But I own up to mine and work to correct them. Every farm has flaws, just like every horse owner (and I've seen many off them who are HARDER to deal with than the horse).

I don't crucify others you all are doing a such great job doing it and I hope you feel sanctimonious about all this. Good job. You can find a new target now. I have nothing to hide and welcome a visit by any of you, for the first time or again. First cup of tea is on me.

Quote Originally Posted by classicsporthorses View Post
    Thanks Prowling COthers. You should be patting yourselves on the back now. Sad how Cowardly you all are but that's the way society is today. Hide behind a keyboard. Everyone has faults, even me, even YOU. But I own up to mine and work to correct them. Every farm has flaws, just like every horse owner (and I've seen many off them who are HARDER to deal with than the horse).

I don't crucify others you all are doing a such great job doing it and I hope you feel sanctimonious about all this. Good job. You can find a new target now. I have nothing to hide and welcome a visit by any of you, for the first time or again. First cup of tea is on me.
    Did I miss something?? I don't get this post at all???

Huh??? Me either!

Did you try posting on Equinesite?

sounds as if the OP was given "inside info" about the individual interested in the mule, and that the info contained negative opinions of potential adopter's farm situation........
    makes one recall the parable about glass houses and stones

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho392 View Post
    sounds as if the OP was given "inside info" about the individual interested in the mule, and that the info contained negative opinions of potential adopter's farm situation........
    makes one recall the parable about glass houses and stones
    Long story short: I have decided to keep Henry close to me (under 2 hours) so that I can keep an eye on him, and csh is over 4. Why the need for a post on this thread, I have no idea.

Default Henry is adorable

I had no idea a small mule could be that refined. I'll have to widen my horizons a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    I had no idea a small mule could be that refined. I'll have to widen my horizons a bit.
    He is easily one of the most gorgeous mules I have ever met. Everyone comments on it. I suspect his momma was something cute and little, like a Morgan or Arab. He came out of PA (New Holland) so it's quite likely Morgan..

Also, Henry is still looking for the perfect spot, and I get more re-attached to him on a daily basis!

I know his ad sounds almost too good to be true, but he really is as described in terms of manners and ability. He is such a good character to have around, literally no trouble.

I really, really want to keep him with me, but he's already bored and unhappy. I work 50+ hours a week and I see him twice a day when I bring the hay out. He glues himself right to me to beg for pets and attention, which he gets for like five minutes before I disappear again. Poor guy.

Where are you? I am in vermont, and at the moment am in the process of getting ready to put down my beloved elderly donkey who has been the BFF of my AQHA. May not be what you are looking for, I am here (but not always) and I do ride and love anythign with long ears! But....this is southern vermont and that may be too far anyway!! If you are still looking and I am in the two hour range i would be happy to "chat" more! He is absolutely gorgeous!

litigator - your 'location; is shown as Montana