The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Definitely lucky to not have to have dealt with colic! I've seen many across multiple barn management approaches and would be happy to never see another. As much as everyone would like it, there's just not a single right answer. Horses are individuals.

Agree with Blinky- I'm over all the posts re BNT, BNR and A Shows. My "A show" barn is full of horses that are treated as individuals. It's not a barn full of 6 figure purchase prices. The horses are sensible and perform well at shows, not because of anything chemical, but because of the combination of gymnastics, ground work, turn out, trail rides and treats that they receive.

Yes there are unethical people out there doing the wrong things for their horses and clients, but making assumptions that everyone succeeding at a high level must be cheating is doing a disservice to the sport. There are great horses and riders who are succeeding through hard work. I'd rather talk about the training programs that work for them than speculate about who may be cheating. If we aren't able to see what makes equestrian sports so amazing, how can we expect anyone outside the industry to understand?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaMare View Post
    Yes there are unethical people out there doing the wrong things for their horses and clients, but making assumptions that everyone succeeding at a high level must be cheating is doing a disservice to the sport. There are great horses and riders who are succeeding through hard work. I'd rather talk about the training programs that work for them than speculate about who may be cheating. If we aren't able to see what makes equestrian sports so amazing, how can we expect anyone outside the industry to understand?

I'm not at all assuming that everyone who is doing well at a high level is drugging their horses, not sure where you got that. I don't think any of the things I listed are considered cheating, I just find over-supplementation is unnecessary.. And
    I think keeping your horses in 24/7 is not right.
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

Quote Originally Posted by DebutsShirrocco View Post
    I'm not at all assuming that everyone who is doing well at a high level is drugging their horses, not sure where you got that. I don't think any of the things I listed are considered cheating, I just find over-supplementation is unnecessary.. And
    Not one single person said anything about keeping their horse in 24/7. Riding and hand walking and grazing isn't turn out, but it isn't a horse in a stall 24/7.

My current horse lives outside 24/7 but my jumper HATED to be turned out. She would jump out of the ring to get back to her stall so we kept her in a tiny paddock for an hour a day...during which she would stand there and pace and paw. We finally gave up and I just rode her for longer and hand grazed her for a while after bathing (somewhat like supershorty.) She was much happier that way.

At this point, it doesn't even sound like you are advocating for what you think is best for the horse - just what you think is best regardless of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by DebutsShirrocco View Post
    And
    Well, then I suppose it's fortunate for me and others in similar situations that we don't need your approval, just that of our horse(s). And as Rel6 said, being in 24/7 is not the same as being in when not being worked, handwalked, or handgrazed. I don't know any horses who are in and NEVER get out (stall rest cases are exceptions, obviously).

Just because she makes me laugh with her grumpy faces. I don't have any photos of her in full-on alligator mode, sadly, but it's quite entertaining if you know her. Might be intimidating if you don't.