The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hector Carmona Jr.

Does anyone have any photos, or results/scores from the late 70's and early 80's for Hector Carmona Jr.? These would be for horses primarily owned by Los Alamos Dressage Center in Freehold or Baptistown, New Jersey.There were also many demonstrations and quadrilles that happened during that time, so if anyone has photos of events from Los Alamos they could also be useful. Also interested in anyone who has ridden with him in either lessons and clinics. If you were a student of Major Carmona and have any recollections of Hector Jr.'s riding that would also be appreciated. This information is being gathered for his website. Thank you.

3 members found this post helpful.

his wife sold the NJ Farm location (it is still a farm, albeit surrounded by developments) and relocated to CA. She (Gail) should have all or most of that.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

and here is her website: http://www.losalamosdressage.com/ complete with contact info
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I rode for a bit with Major H. Carmona and remember one show and clinic in his stables with Jack LeGoff.

I remember that Mr LeGoff was extremely complimentary of Major Carmona as a trainer and instructor and he didn't highly recommend just anyone.

Sorry, don't have any pictures of the shows or clinics.

I have to say that Major Carmona was one of the nicest humans you could met, not just a superb horseman.

I rode with Maj Carmona in 68. Do you have Hector's address in Sweden? If not I can get it.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Dorie: I'll contact Pat Barnard, she trained with Hector for many, many years and used to have a photo album (if I recall) with tons of pics of the group showing and performing exhibitions.

Just wanted to say OP, your dad was such a great man. So generous with his knowledge and always kind. He is truly missed.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    Just wanted to say OP, your dad was such a great man. So generous with his knowledge and always kind. He is truly missed.
    I second that! Dr. Vlatten and you were my first introduction to "real" dressage back in the olden days at SERC. Here's hoping all is well with you

You could try contacting "Clear Blue" who is Dr. Laurie Cameron. A long time ago she sent me a few photos of him riding a Gauguin de Lully mare I believe.

At the time I was there in NJ, part of their operation was an arabian breeding farm, with the idea of producing arabian sport horses.

Maybe you ought to ask on arabian web sites also?
    Someone in those may have old pictures and stories from that?

you can also reach out to Barbara Ebner, an S judge who was friends with the Carmonas and also rode Arabians before she rode warmbloods. Her website is www.touchofclassfarm.com I believe, she is Howell, NJ
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet

Maj. Carmona trained an Arab stallion to Grand Prix. (Serr Mariner.)
    I groomed for a friend who brought a little Arab stallion to a Carmona clinic, and he was so tickled with our little horse in a sea of WBs that he invited us back to the hosts' house to show us a video of him presenting the horse at the Egyptian Event in a dressage demo in long lines.
    It was impressive.
    He told us that he was nervous about it, as he'd never done it before.
    The crowd was not exactly your typical dressage crowd, but they went nuts at the end.

He told us that he *really* liked working with Arabs, but alas, the market was with warmbloods, so that's the direction he had to take with his farm.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Maj. Carmona trained an Arab stallion to Grand Prix. (Serr Mariner.)
    I groomed for a friend who brought a little Arab stallion to a Carmona clinic, and he was so tickled with our little horse in a sea of WBs that he invited us back to the hosts' house to show us a video of him presenting the horse at the Egyptian Event in a dressage demo in long lines.
    It was impressive.
    He told us that he was nervous about it, as he'd never done it before.
    The crowd was not exactly your typical dressage crowd, but they went nuts at the end.

He told us that he *really* liked working with Arabs, but alas, the market was with warmbloods, so that's the direction he had to take with his farm.
    Was this maybe that stallion?
    I took this picture of Major Hector Carmona on an arabian stallion he was training:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpeg 
Views:	159 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	37761  

Serr Maariner was a bay.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Serr Maariner was a bay.
    Oh, guess not then, thank you.

Just to clarify Gail Hoff Carmona is Major Carmona's 2nd wife and no relation to Hector Carmona Jr. except by marriage. We had Hector Jr. train some horses for us years ago but he had that car accident and lost one of his arms. He did keep riding with a prosthesis. As I recall he was a "rising star" as a young rider and had invitations to ride in Germany. Unfortunately his personal life seemed to get in the way of riding and training.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

The last time I saw Hector, Jr., was circa 1990 at a Reiner Klimke clinic in eastern PA. I was just beginning in dressage, but was completely gobsmacked by the movement on the big bay mare he was riding.

His accident was not too long after that.

I will look for pictures from the clinic, although it was indoors, long time ago & I don't know what I might have.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

HC jr lives in Sweden.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Thanks. I apprecaite your kind words. I'm sure my dad is smiling from above. He is greatly missed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I rode with Hector in the 60s and 70s. He supplied the Chilean team with horses for the Pan-Am games in Winnepeg in 1967. (At the Grand prix level in those days). One of his horses won the gold.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist