The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Meet 1978 ottb "Red"!

Red no longer belongs to me. I owned him when he was 23-26. He's now 35 and doing very well for an old guy. He has a fat, very young girlfriend who he adores and is completely retired living with the owner who bought him from my family nearly 10 years ago.

I went to see him this weekend to see if I can finally get his tattoo info and look it all up (when I owned him there was a charge for that service, I think ... or I got distracted because I was a teenager). This guy did A-show jumpers until his mid 20s, and then was "retired" to do local hunter shows. That was after a very long career in equitation and jumpers.

I couldn't see all the numbers on his tattoo, but it definitely appears he's an "H." I have the request into JC.

Here are pics from this weekend:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56701390@N05/8548493847/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56701390@N05/8549591680/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56701390@N05/8549591722/

And his tattoo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56701390@N05/8549591730/

From his days with me (our first-ever show together!):

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/f68...5c274f76_r.jpg (yes I know his flash is badly adjusted ... poor guy!)

I'm hoping to find his registered name and see how long he was on the track for. He seriously is one of the best horses ever!

He looks awesome!!

I see 3678 for his tattoo. Horses of this age only had a letter and four numbers, not the letter and five numbers we see today

I think for a horse this age, you STILL need to contact the JC, as the on-line lookup doesn't go that far back (I think the assumption is most of them are no longer with us.) But I don't think they'll charge now.

Actually they very well can have 5 numbers. My 1978 model TB mare did (H20248). Remember the tattoo is based on the registration number and there are as many of those as horses registered. 4 numbers only would allow for 10,000 registrations (0000 - 9999) while 5 allows for 100,000 and by the late 70's the foal crops were larger than 10,000.

Christa

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh yes, I'm taking advantage of the free tattoo look up! (I was saying "back in the day" when I owned him I never bothered to look up his race record/registration name because it either cost money then or I was a teenager and ... oh look! Squirrel! But now I can because it's free and I'm not an easily distracted teenager lol) And yes, you have to submit the oldies, rather than punch in the numbers.

Preliminary results are that it is not enough info, according to the email I just got. So I just sent JC his lip tattoo photo.

Simkie, I was close with my guess! H3670! And thanks. I left him in very capable hands I'm so glad he's retired with someone who loves him.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by AzuWish View Post
    Oh yes, I'm taking advantage of the free tattoo look up! (I was saying "back in the day" when I owned him I never bothered to look up his race record/registration name because it either cost money then or I was a teenager and ... oh look! Squirrel! But now I can because it's free and I'm not an easily distracted teenager lol) And yes, you have to submit the oldies, rather than punch in the numbers.

Preliminary results are that it is not enough info, according to the email I just got. So I just sent JC his lip tattoo photo.

Simkie, I was close with my guess! H3670! And thanks. I left him in very capable hands I'm so glad he's retired with someone who loves him.
    If the JC can't do it, contact the TRPB (Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau). They do the tattoos after a complete description for ID purposes. They also do tattoo ids for free now.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Where is this horse located if you don't mind me asking. I think I know him!!! If he is who I think he is, he was at my barn in Hilton Head Island, SC in the late 90's- early 00's.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I had a 1978 model OTTB as well. (Crossed the rainbow bridge almost 3 years ago). We owned him for yearssss and I finally tried to figure out who he was. I ended up sending multiple pictures of his tattoo, plus pictures of him and his markings from all angles, plus a description of whorls etc. never found out who he was. But he was an incredible horse and FANCY!

Good luck in your search and be prepared to get tons of pics for the JC!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Dani, you wouldn't happen to have the initials DD, would you??? At Moss Creek? It's Lindsay, and yes that's Red and me!

What are you up to? How'd you get to Colo?

Quote Originally Posted by AzuWish View Post
    Dani, you wouldn't happen to have the initials DD, would you??? At Moss Creek? It's Lindsay, and yes that's Red and me!

What are you up to? How'd you get to Colo?
    Yes that's me!! Omg I can't believe it! I've been in CO for a year and a half now. My BF got a job out here making $$$$ in the oil fields. I followed. I'll send you as PM as not to steal your thread
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

So wonderful he's doing so well! Glad he's had a good life and continues to get good care. My foundation broodie was a 1978. I lost her 4 years ago. She was an amazing mare and I think of her often -- have two of her "foals" still -- one is 20 this year and a granddaughter. Love the old ones!
    PennyG

Love those old chestnut tbs!
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

A certain extremely famous Big Red, a 1970 model, had a letter and five numbers in his tattoo, so I know they were doing them back then.

Your boy is a DOLL, OP - so glad you got to see him and that he's in a fab retirement home!