The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

mvp - there is nothing wrong with Vass (Mr. Eventer_mi bought 12 acres in Vass and are planning on building on it in the next few years). There are a lot of people with some very expensive farms that double as a second home for them, and it's costing them too much to keep so these places are for sale. Plus, the bad economy has taken quite the toll down here. The farm that are connected tothe Foundation and to each other are pricey, even with the foreclosures - expect to pay a low of approx $500k for a smallish house on 5 acres of land. The bigger places are going for around 1 million.

auburn - I was so sorry to hear about your pony! Megan does chiro on my pony and my dog, and she mentioned that someone in Adult camp was a casualty. The footing around here is deep in places, but not that deep, so it sounds like simply bad luck. Hope your pony gets better soon! I know most of the instructors who did adult camp, so I can give my two cents, if you send me a PM. I don't participate in adult camp because I live here, but always seems like fun. Did you do dressage at a lovely place with and indoor and an outdoor with mirrors? If so, then you were at the barn where my pony lives. Lucky boy, isn't he?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Southern Pines and Vass got pretty overbuilt with horse farms over the past 10 years or so. There is nothing wrong at all with the area. Having been in both Aiken and Southern Pines for the winter, Southern Pines/Vass has many advantages including its proximity to the Research Triangle and RDU.

Thank you all very much for allowing my Vass tangent. I don't know anywhere else I could ask about a horsey part of the country I don't know and get good answers.

OP, I'm so pleased to hear that your horse is healing. Keep up with the cold hosing diligently and your mare might be fixed faster than you think.

Or even better, do you have a hock/knee deep creek you can ride her into? This was my favorite way to cool legs. Also, it gave a nice redneck/DIY spin to my show hunter.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Thank you all very much for allowing my Vass tangent. I don't know anywhere else I could ask about a horsey part of the country I don't know and get good answers.
    To continue the tangent, is the area at all close to the area that will no doubt (with the current state legislature) be opened up to fracking in not too many years from now? That would make me think of selling (ha! like I could ever afford to have one of those farms to begin with.).
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

I'm so sorry your mare came out of the experience with strains. Glad she is doing better! I don't have much meaningful info but I did want to throw out that I went to the camp back in the late 90s and I still remember it as one of my best experiences ever! So don't be turned off week-long camps.

I do remember I had Nancy Lindroth, Jim Graham, Denny did some instructional talks (I'm pretty sure he didn't have his own camp at that time), and I tacked a Mark Weissbecker clinic on a short time later -- it was such an amazing experience. Again, I say this not to gloat but encourage you to consider trying again. Maybe the Maryland camp for next year?? Shouldn't have deep sandy footing, anyway.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

It IS great to have you back in the saddle again!

I ride the area around Linda and Mari's often, and honestly can only think of a few spots with deep sand, those really deep spots we either avoid or walk slowly through. I wasn't at the camp though, I just live here and love it

1 members found this post helpful.

Fairweather - same here. I drive over there quite frequently, leaving from the farm right down from Aggie Cohen's. There are a few spots of "deep" sand but for the most part it's normal SoPo good footing. As I think all of you who jump are NUTS I wasn't at the camp either.

OP glad to hear your horse is recovering.

eventer_mi,

We did ride where your "pony" is stabled. You are very lucky to have such a nice place on which to school! I rode in the indoor twice. The final day of camp was to be a dressage lesson in the outdoor with Becca. Since I had ridden with her earlier in the week, she knew how my mare moved. As soon as I started troting, she could see and I could feel that Tess felt like she was swimming in the sand. It was not a good feeling. When walking over for the lessons, I kept eyeing your bank and water complexes. They looked like they would be fun to school.

I wish that we had someone like Megan here! She is a lovely person. Tess enjoyed her treatment, too.

The lesson with Mark Weissbecker was one that I missed. The campers said that his place is lovely. Although we did not ride with Denny, he did come over to Linda's house to give a lecture on safety.

If any of you can afford the price and are looking for a lovely area, I would go look in Vass. At least, they have visable gas stations. Those of you who live in Southern Pines and Pinehurst should know what I mean?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I've also spent a lot of time riding in that neighborhood. The areas where most of the lessons (for SJ and dressage) are held are rings or areas that get frequent use, so the sand is packed and not too deep at all. Mari's and Mark's XC courses are very nice footing similar to the CHP. There are a few deep spots in the foundation and the trails connecting the neighboring farms - I just walk through those or go on the edge where it is not as deep. I've never had a problem, and no resident I've ever talked with has either.

Sorry to hear about your mare but hope it doesn't keep you from coming back! Since more and more people are coming to the camp with the aim of doing the HT at the end, the organizers are trying to figure out ways to accomodate that in the future.

I received an email from Linda with the proposed new schedule for next year. Suda and she have really thought things through. The new schedule should be much easier on the horses. The camp will be limited to 18 riders, instead of 36. There will be single cross country days, dressage and jumping days, a single SJ day, so it will be much less stress on the horses.

As for the Secrist property, the day of Mari's cross country lesson, we had heavy rain on the ride over and during the lesson, so there were spots on her course which were a bit tricky. At one point, Tessie's right front leg went into a hole, she tripped and almost went down. Mari immediately called someone who came and filled in the hole. If Tess had not had filling in all of her legs, I would have thought that her lameness could have been caused by her stepping into the hole.

I rode the trails back from Mari's to the Cohens and got a bit lost. There were spots on the way home which were deep. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have ridden on the berm, instead of taking the trails.

By speaking of Tessie's lameness or the suspected cause of her lameness, I did not mean to offend anyone who lives in Vass or Southern Pines.

Riderboy,
    If Dr. Mason gives the OK, we will be at Spring Bay. I saw that Gryhrs and you are entered. It will be good to see you. Will that be your first outing?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!