The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best low-risk place to sell premium saddle other than eBay?

Hi all---other than eBay, what's the best place to post a saddle for sale ad?

**Not trying to advertise** My concern is twofold: (1) eBay's 9% fee is huge, plus listing price, and then add the Paypal fee...that's a lot of money. (2) The saddle is basically new, so I don't want to risk sending it out on trial. My friend's daughter outgrew it before she even really got to use it, and it wasn't cheap for them to buy.

Thoughts? I've used Tacktrader before, with mixed results. Would you consign it somewhere? Thanks!!

Red face Website recommendation

Hello - I wrote an article in the March issue of Practical Horseman about how to sell your used saddle. It also gives a few websites to post it (for free) such as Horseclicks and Equine.com. I am also happy to give you my honest opinion on price, etc. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Rachel
    www.iselltack.com

I was just getting ready to suggest I Sell tack.com. They always have a selection of really beautiful, premium saddles and tack. Their inventory moves quickly, the customer service is great and their commission fee is very reasonable for the piece of mind they offer. I am not a fan of selling on Ebay any longer and with all the scams out there, I am thrilled to have a safe place to send our tack to be sold. In addition to their website, they also have a FB page where your tack will get extra exposure. Good luck.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Awesome, thank you!

1 members found this post helpful.

I sold both my saddles thru my Facebook. I made a "sale" photo album & that one is public (the rest of my FB is not). I listed item details on each photo & contact info.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

I have a TC consigned with fine-used-saddles.com (based on COTH recommendations), and they've been very easy to deal with.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

I've bought my last three used saddles from horseclicks.com, and am going to create some ads to sell soon, too. Free to post an ad, no fees like eBay.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

There is TOC, Bits&Barter, and lots of Facebook pages for used tack.

Most consignment places will take a whole lot more of the sales price than Ebay does, even with the paypal charges included. Think 30-50% on average. Of course, the better ones also get a lot of traffic, so may net you a faster sale.

The other option is trading the saddle in for a new one, if a new one is needed. Particularly if the rider is sticking with the same brand of saddle, that's often the easiest route.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

They were down at Thermal, bought another new horse, and bought a new saddle (different premium brand)off the rack to go with it, fit rider and horse, at the behest of BNT.

So now other, 6-month old premium saddle is up for grabs.

The last time I sold a saddle I put it on Eventing Nation's Sport Horse Nation site. It was $15 I think to list it plus paypal fees.

I don't know if it's a brand that would sell there; mine was an eventing saddle.

eBay fees are lower than a consignment store (think 30-40%) but it can be worth it to have a store deal with customers and trials.

I'd look to see who is selling saddles like this one and just consign it.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I would consign a high-end saddle. I have one with fine-used-saddles.com and it has been smooth so far (I did not feel comfortable handling the trial issues myself with an expensive saddle). I feel like I will get more from it in total from a high-end consignment place than I would selling on my own without trial.

The rate is NOT 30%+. Contact Patricia if you are interested and get actual consignment fees -- I don't feel comfortable sharing her exact fee without permission but is isn't that much more than ebay+listing fee+paypal -- certainly not enough to make all the risks attendant to ebay sales worth it to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know it sounds crazy, but I've had incredible luck with CraigsList- and I don't live in a particularly horsey area. I found my like-new custom Amerigo on CL for a STEAL, then turned around and sold my older Ashland for asking price in a matter of days. Maybe I just got lucky, but really, there's nothing to lose. Just be sure to have very good pictures.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Consignment won't run 30%+ like someone posted up there -- I also have a saddle with fine-used-saddles.com right now and the rate is lower than that. I think our local tack stores charge around 20% so I believe that is fairly standard.

I've used tacktrader. com and other such sites to list saddles, some premium types, and sold them without trials -- I've also allowed local people to do a trial but only if I had the cash in hand before they take the saddle. I went the consignment route with my current saddle for sale only because I figured it would be one that people would want to try and I feel better letting them handle it.

Also, depending which premium brand you are talking about, if they have reps out selling, might check with them. They sometimes are willing to take the saddles on consignment. I just had one of those situations with one of mine as well and that person would have taken a 20% commission if she sold it for me.

I also have a saddle with Fine Used Saddles. It was the same consignment as my local stores, but I don't live in high volume jump saddle area, so I went with one with an online presence to reach more people. I did try to sell it myself for several months online (even listing on ebay). I think it's worth the trial service the consignor provides. My saddle is also not a popular brand and will only interest people specifically looking for it.

Of note, I bought the same saddle from Fine Used Saddles 2 years ago, so I've seen both sides as buyer/seller

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Good to know that consignment rates have come down. I just checked the places I have used in the past, and noticed rates of around 25% now. So maybe that is a better option than it's been before. It sure is nice to have someone else deal with answering all the questions, dealing with trials, etc. And the better consignment places do tend to get a lot of traffic.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Last time I sold a saddle I consigned it at my very busy local tack shop and it sold quite quickly. I forget what the consignment rate was, because it was several years ago, but I thought it was a good and trustworthy solution.

My friend sold her CWD's through a gal from the San Diego area who goes to all the shows. Her consignment fee is lower than the standard 25%. Are you familiar with her? I can get her name and info if you're interested.

What are the details of the saddle? There's a sign up at my barn for one of the kids looking for a used French saddle. You can PM me if you want.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

A tack store I'm working with now has a commission fee of 25%, but it is reduced to 15% if you buy a new saddle from them. This is a not a specialty high-end place, though, just one with a very good web presence and reputation for excellent customer service.

I may just ship mine off rather than try to sell independently - as others have mentioned, dealing with buyers and trials is a bit of work.

Chagrin Saddlery. Chagrin Saddlery specializes in marketing saddles and have sold many. Only happy consigners with zero hassle and risk of selling it yourself. We manage all trials, all marketing, keep the saddle maintained and employ a staff of friendly experienced saddle fitters. That being said, the other suggestions are excellent as well. It is important to be able to manage a trial with a contract as well as some payment for insurance of the trial. Make sure you ask any company how they manage trials (out of state, local, etc.) It can be a hassle to do this yourself if you can't sell it to a friend or someone you know and trust. Good luck!

highendusedsaddles.com is a great place also. I think she is 25% but She has sold 3 saddles for me. One was ordered for trial before she even received it. She emails her clients that are looking for a certain size and also puts it on her website that the saddle is coming and on facebook. I have had great luck with her!