The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to charge for facility rental for an IHSA show?

So we've been asked by a local IHSA team if we would let them rent our facility for a day as they host an IHSA show. We've taken horses to be mounts at IHSA shows before and I am an ex-IHSA rider, so I know what we are getting into and I know that our facility will meet all their needs. What would be a reasonable price to charge for a one day, whole facility rental?

A few specifics, we have a large outdoor arena and would be supplying a full course of fences, flowers, etc., we have bleecher seating outdoors and are hoping to get a gazebo out there (before the show) to be a judges stand. At the very least we would have a covered tent for the judge. We also have a large indoor arena that could be used for warm up/ mounting/dismounting/etc.

In addition, the school would be using several of our horses. When we trailer our horses in to shows, they pay for our milage plus $50 per head. If they are going to use about 8 of our horses in addition to our facility, what should we charge per head for the horses of our own that they use?

We want to be fair to the team as I know first hand how difficult it can be to come up with funds, but we also want to make it worth our while as a business.

Thanks so much for you input!
    Lesmiz_07

Well, can you figure out your pro rated costs-operating costs for the month divided by #of days in the month? No less then that no matter how much you want to help them out a little. And $50 per head for the horses as they have been paying all along.

You can probably get some of your clients/boarders to help with the gate, announcing, some kind of food and various other chores.

Add any additional insurance if you have to add a rider on the policy for the day.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I would recommend you do some calculations about what it costs you, on average, to effectively shut down for the day- lost lessons, wear and tear on the arena/arena maintenance, insurance, etc. That should give you a baseline to work from. Obviously it will depend a lot on your facility, based upon your side, number of boarders, average weekend revenue from lessons, and similar. The team will have calculated their budget for the show, how much they expect to make, and how much profit they need to support the team, and should be able to tell you what they can afford.

When I was doing IHSA, we used to pay $800 for the use of our "home" facility. We cleaned the facility the day before to suit our needs- cleaning school horse tack, cleaning out and setting up the seating area, setting courses, etc. Typically we also tried to go a bit beyond that as a gesture of gratitude to the barn, by doing things like cobwebbing, cleaning photo frames, and washing windows. We staffed the shows with our club members and various volunteers from the college, handled the concessions, and had our non-competing team members tacking, holding and warming up horses. The club and team broke down courses, cleaned up and cleared out after the show. I imagine you would adjust your cost accordingly if you plan on providing any additional services, such as warming up horses or helping with setup/breakdown.

$800 sounds reasonable for me although we aren't the "home" facility, we are just a local facility with no affiliations to a team--I know the team is going to be very helpful in everything so I'm not too worried about man power. We will have to rent a field for parking and will have to add it on to our insurance for the day, so I'll have to factor those numbers in too (the $800 might cover it fine, but I'll have to find those numbers). I am figuring then still charging per horse on top of that.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Still open to any other ideas or considerations I haven't yet thought of
    Lesmiz_07

We've paid $750-$800 to rent a facility for an IEA show. That included 12 stalls, but no horses. And we pay $100 per horse to lease! That was 2 rings, 12 stalls, rings dragged twice, full set of jumps, PA system, covered area for the judge. Check with the organizer of the show, our team was always responsible for paying for an insurance policy for the duration of the show, so YOU may not need to do that

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    You can probably get some of your clients/boarders to help with the gate, announcing, some kind of food and various other chores.
    I would think that would be the host team's responsibility to man and coordinate these positions, unless they were paying you on top of facility rental.

I'm a former IHSA team captain and when we hosted at another facility or co-hosted with another facility, staffing the horse show was our responsibility. If we wanted to hire people from the host farm instead of doing it ourselves that was our option, but it wasn't included in the show facility fee. Your mileage may vary, but I don't think that staffing the show is your responsibility as the host.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG