The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

On Wednesday my face and arm had an argument with the wall of the indoor ring when a horse spooked and my saddle slipped. The wall won. 42 stitches to my face and surgery on my arm scheduled for tomorrow. I'll be cranking the girth up and riding with a breastplate from now on - my mistake and unfortunate circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
    42 stitches to my face and surgery on my arm scheduled for tomorrow.
    Yikes! Hope you get better soon!

Most recent fall was while cross country skiing 2 weeks ago. My wrist still hurts. Why do I get hurt more often when xc skiing than when riding?!

Last unscheduled dismount was when riding in the woods last November (I think). I aimed my mare at a jump, didn't see there was a deer on the other side. My mare jumped very nicely, landed, and stopped dead when she saw the deer running away. I landed next to her on my feet and we watched the deer bounce away. She just stood there, rather than take off after the deer, so I was lucky to actually ride, and not walk, home. Good mare.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
    On Wednesday my face and arm had an argument with the wall of the indoor ring when a horse spooked and my saddle slipped. The wall won. 42 stitches to my face and surgery on my arm scheduled for tomorrow. I'll be cranking the girth up and riding with a breastplate from now on - my mistake and unfortunate circumstances.
    Hope you heal soon.

Setting on my mile wide horse bareback when I think he saw a ghost, his head went up like a giraffe, he snorted & turned to go. I worked with him for 15 min, walking turning trotting. We went by the same door (I was the only soul there) ata nice quiet walk & next thing I know hes 3 feet sideways. I forgot to let go of the reins so he wasnt happy but hey he was really being stupid. I dunno what he thought was there, no cats or horses were in the barn.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

No, luckily I've been dismounting on purpose lately.

1 members found this post helpful.

I fell off in my riding lesson on Friday night. We rode outside for the first time in months and the horses were already wired due to a nicer day and some horses escaping and running around. We warmed up in the arena, then went out to the field to jump a little bit. On the first jump, we trotted up to it and he jumped it nicely, then put his head down and bucked. I was pretty well unseated after this, but he turned right and kept bucking. I fell off his left side. My left foot twisted coming out of the stirrup, I scraped up my back and hit my head hard enough to get a mild concussion, as well as vertigo. I was wearing my helmet, which will now be getting replaced. I'm fairly sore still, but okay. Thankfully. Doctor said to take the week off from riding and lots of ibuprofen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Wow!

Those hay stacks have a way to buck us off also, don't they.
    I met a young woman who was with Parelli. She was a paraplegic and was doing NH. I asked her what happened, expecting an unscheduled dismount answer, and she said stacked hay fell on her and paralyzed her from waist down!!

I survived a tough jumping lesson a month or two ago that included gridwork plus the circle of death. Things had gone very well. That is, until I went to dismount and didn't realize how woggly my legs were. As soon as I hit the ground I fell backwards onto my @$$. The biggest bruise was to my butt and then my ego. lol.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

My f*ckwit TB who is convinced the Gates O'Hell are just beyond the end arena door decided to spook hard right as we were landing from a jump heading kind of in that direction. His front feet hit the ground and he exited Stage Right. I continued somewhat straight but ended up as an oversized lawndart again.
    It has been a tough winter...

Last fall was a few months back. Bringing a mare back into work and was all going well. Popped all the jump poles down to ground height for me to walk, trot gently over..... Walked over all of them lots of times fine so tried a nice calm trot - first one we came too, the mare must of forgot how to use her front legs! Ended up with her doing a complete roll (my poor saddle) and me flying through the air superman style. We both got up unharmed, me laughing and mare looking rather bewildered. I think she was thinking the same thing as me.... wtf happened there?! She is competently and confidently jumping 90cm(2'9) now.

I started the new year off right by falling off on Jan. 2. My horse was being a skittery idiot and he shot out from under me to the right and up at the same time and I...er...dismounted. I had only been on him for like 2 minutes at this point, so, yes, I fell off at the walk.

Like an idiot, I kept trying to hold on to the reins because I had landed *somewhat* in a position where I could hang on to him, but he dragged me a short way before I finally let go, and then attempted to run out of the arena (thankfully someone blocked him). So then I finished my ride wearing half of the indoor arena in my underwear. Good times.

It has been a really tough winter. I've had a lot of close calls this year.

Yes, twice last week.

First time, horse was being a little goofy and I wasn't riding carefully... he spooked and I almost stayed on, but ended up falling.

Second time doesn't really count... horse stepped over a cavaletti, changed his mind, tried to back away, got his foot caught on the cavaletti, got scared and tried harder to back away, and ended up falling over with me on him. I rolled clear and no harm done, except horse is now pretty sure cavaletti are horse-eating monsters.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Yes, but not from my horse. I fell off my chair in front of a classroom of students while reaching down to pull up my sock yesterday. I landed all neatly tucked up and ready to roll away from the hooves of the vicious wheeled office chair.

Uhg, yes. Only my second fall off of this horse, who is my very own. I've always raved about how lovely it is to have a sedate, older horse who thinks bucking is too much work. Well, we were out in the woods for our third or fourth trail ride at the new place and she was full of it. She jumped a puddle and um, celebrated. I landed softly in the snow with a curse, but I did sprain my finger (stupidly!) thinking for a split second "Oo, I've still got her!!" When has that ever turned out to be the case? Off she went, back to the barn, giggling the whole way.

To her astonishment, waiting for her at the barn was a riding ring full of snow and seemingly endless trot circles, spirals and serpentines. Her hairy highness thought a placid trail ride much more fun after that. We are both wiser for the experience, albeit sore from the combination of falling/yanking/gallivanting through the woods and impromptu ring ride so early in the season. Ah well :-\ Until we're feeling un-kinked and I can hold the reins again, we can at least practicing standing boringly in the woods.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Yes two weeks ago twice in a week!! First one was on my trainers mare, she suddenly spooked (at nothing) and spun out from under me so fast I was on the ground! Then two days later I was on my 4 yr old, everything was going well and something scared him in the lounge (BO put a box next to the window! LOL). One minute I was on my horse the next looking down at nothing but air! Luckily neither one hurt anything but my pride.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I've had two unscheduled dismounts in the short four months since I've returned to riding as an adult.

The first one was in November, probably my 3rd lesson, the horse spooked one way and I went the other. Got right back on and was fine, then didn't lesson for a week because I was sore, and started back up - no problems. Fast forward to a couple of weekends ago, practice riding in the ring (no lesson) - just walking and trotting. The horse got a bit excited and crow hopped a bit - the ring was pretty busy and it was super cold - so I just concentrated on trot/walk and walk/halt transitions in the quiet end of the ring. Next thing I know, I am untacking in cross-ties trying to remember where I am and how I got there, it was the strangest experience ever. Most of it slowly came back to me, but it took about 30 minutes and I still don't remember right before or right after so I have no idea why or how I fell. I went to the ER and turned up a concussion, a couple of cracked ribs, and a re-injured tailbone.

What is bothering me the most is not having any idea why I fell off. Even if I had been together enough to ask someone that was there that day, honestly I would have been too embarrassed :-(. The horse I was riding is older and fairly calm, and I thought my balance and seat were decent enough to sit through little spooks and crow hops (I've encountered a couple in the time between the two falls and was fine). Am I just giving up and and falling off out of fear that it would be worse if I tried to stay on? Does falling off twice in such a short amount of time mean that I shouldn't keep trying? If so, that would really super stink because I am loving riding again. Plus, I try extremely hard to be very careful and conscientious, and I take between 2-4 lessons a week which is quite expensive.

Vent over. Perhaps I should stick to my viciously wheeled office chair.......

I've had two unscheduled dismounts in the short four months since I've returned to riding as an adult.

The first one was in November, probably my 3rd lesson, the horse spooked one way and I went the other. Got right back on and was fine, then didn't lesson for a week because I was sore, and started back up - no problems. Fast forward to a couple of weekends ago, practice riding in the ring (no lesson) - just walking and trotting. The horse got a bit excited and crow hopped a bit - the ring was pretty busy and it was super cold - so I just concentrated on trot/walk and walk/halt transitions in the quiet end of the ring. Next thing I know, I am untacking in cross-ties trying to remember where I am and how I got there, it was the strangest experience ever. Most of it slowly came back to me, but it took about 30 minutes and I still don't remember right before or right after so I have no idea why or how I fell. I went to the ER and turned up a concussion, a couple of cracked ribs, and a re-injured tailbone.

What is bothering me the most is not having any idea why I fell off. Even if I had been together enough to ask someone that was there that day, honestly I would have been too embarrassed :-(. The horse I was riding is older and fairly calm, and I thought my balance and seat were decent enough to sit through little spooks and crow hops (I've encountered a couple in the time between the two falls and was fine). Am I just giving up and and falling off out of fear that it would be worse if I tried to stay on? Does falling off twice in such a short amount of time mean that I shouldn't keep trying? If so, that would really super stink because I am loving riding again. Plus, I try extremely hard to be very careful and conscientious, and I take between 2-4 lessons a week which is quite expensive.

Vent over. Perhaps I should stick to my viciously wheeled office chair.......