The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help... Ear Poms / puffs

I have a mare that is a superstar when on course at shows. Like this past weekend she was great over fences!!! But when schooling, waiting for classes or in the hack, the announcer drives her absolutely batty. I use ear poms (the foam ball ones) and it just doesn't seem to be enough. Yesterday in the flat she was awful and I think some of it is the noise.

Any suggestions?

1 members found this post helpful.

I found that the equifit foam plugs worked better than the poms for one of my horses.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I really like the foam plugs but I agree they don't block out all sound because they just don't get that far down into the ear. A place I used to ride just used to use cotton strips (like strips of cotton ball material), that way they could really get it into the ear nice and snug. Seemed to work well enough, might be worth a shot?

I've only ever used the puff ball style ones and they seem to work pretty well for me. I can't use puffs with my current horse because he just shakes his head endlessly and is annoying about them no matter how I put them in. The puff ball ones were great for my old mare, though. I think they work well since they shape to the ear, and you can get them in pretty far, too.
    By the way, I used the ear puffs on my mare because at a show she would just neigh and call to all the other horses constantly if she heard some one else neigh, even on the other side of the showgrounds. The ear puffs blocked the noise out and she wouldn't be so noisy, so I guess it is kind of a similar thing to how your horse doesn't like the announcer since it is a sound thing rather than a spookiness one.
    Last edited by TaterTotTB; Mar. 11, 2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: adding something I forget

You could try the poms/plugs then add a sound resistant ear bonnet. I know they make them with lined ears to block out sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    You could try the poms/plugs then add a sound resistant ear bonnet. I know they make them with lined ears to block out sound.
    Can't use an ear bonnet in hunters.

I tried the fuzzy puff balls but feel the foam balls like these may work a little better. http://www.smartpakequine.com/pomms-...x?cm_vc=Search

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I really like the foam plugs but I agree they don't block out all sound because they just don't get that far down into the ear. A place I used to ride just used to use cotton strips (like strips of cotton ball material), that way they could really get it into the ear nice and snug. Seemed to work well enough, might be worth a shot?
    That might work since the foam balls or plugs can only go so far and I'm noise gets in and around it. However, I don't want put anything so far in that it could cause damage or can't get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Acres View Post

I tried the fuzzy puff balls but feel the foam balls like these may work a little better. http://www.smartpakequine.com/pomms-...x?cm_vc=Search
    I have many sets of POMMS...I like them. My only complaint is that they are kind of hard to fish out...They do seem to help my very noise-reactive TB.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/equifi...ugs-8366p.aspx these are the ones I'm talking about.

That might work since the foam balls or plugs can only go so far and I'm noise gets in and around it. However, I don't want put anything so far in that it could cause damage or can't get it out.
    They don't get any further, its just a snugger fit since you can grab as much or as little cotton puff as you need to. Like anytime I've used the foam balls, you put them in there but then they kind of puff back out and like you said allow noise to get around. With the cotton it seems to stay down in there better.

ETA:Those t-foam ones look like a great solution! I would definitely give those a shot.

The T-foam ones I find contour to the ear better because you squeeze them to put them in, and then they expand to fit the ear. I actually had to take them off of a horse when FIRST back in the barn because he wouldn't/couldn't hear my voice when I was working with him on the ground.

I've found the cat toys you can get at Petsmart or a similar store work better than the fuzzy earplugs and some of the foam ones (plus you can get four of them for about $3!). They tend to be smaller and more compressible so they can get further down in the ear and contour to the ear well. I color half of them black with a Sharpie and use that side up for showing and leave the other half uncolored and leave that side up for schooling so that I don't forget to take them out.
    I've never used the EquiFit earplugs but they also seem like they would work very well.
    Last edited by caughtintheact; Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling

I have ordered the T-Foam ones and will try at the next show in April. Hopefully that will work better than the others I have tried. She's a nice mover but the under saddles are hit or miss. Fingers crossed!!!

http://www.smartpakequine.com/equifi...ugs-8366p.aspx

These did not work out well for me. Were ALWAYS falling out. I even trimmed them too. They just don't really get in there as well.

Did you twist them before you put them in? The Equifit rep who was showing me these seemed to think that was the trick. Don't just squeeze and shove, twist to make the middle skinny and then shove.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by caughtintheact View Post
    I've found the cat toys you can get at Petsmart or a similar store work better than the fuzzy earplugs and some of the foam ones (plus you can get four of them for about $3!). They tend to be smaller and more compressible so they can get further down in the ear and contour to the ear well. I've never used the EquiFit earplugs but they also seem like they would work very well.
    Yep we use cat toys as well

sorry, I didn't see the thing about the hack. You could still use them for warming up as you say it's mainly in the warmup.

I've used cat toys for schooling at home, but I find the bright colors can be noticeable on dark horses in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Did you twist them before you put them in? The Equifit rep who was showing me these seemed to think that was the trick. Don't just squeeze and shove, twist to make the middle skinny and then shove.
    Yeah, I actually think twisting made them fall out even sooner! I think it's because of their cylindrical shape - I'm not 100% sure. They just didn't work with my horse. Went back to good ole poms.

I loved how easy it was to clean the foam ear puffs though. That was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I've used cat toys for schooling at home, but I find the bright colors can be noticeable on dark horses in the ring.
    You can color them with a Sharpie.