The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Otie's 1st Helmet Cam!

Otie made his eventing debut this weekend at Southern Pines in the novice division.

Tons of distractions and he just kept trying his hardest (what a great brain).

We won't win any style points for the XC, but I just wanted him to get around and figure out that he actually IS superman. I love that from the start of the tape to the end you can see his confidence skyrocket, especially after the water. He even let loose with a big ol' gallop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgXqBLoE_R0

After the bending line at the top of the hill he felt a bit hectic, thus the circle to let him regather his thoughts.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Love his "perm"! He was very brave, especially doing Novice first time out the gate. Good to circle, nothing wrong with taking the time to bring your horse back to you.

Just out of curiosity, why start on Novice since it was his first time? Not criticizing at ALL just curious.

Great video! I love how his gallop appears to be nice and slow. Love his ears too!
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Sloeryder View Post
    Love his "perm"! He was very brave, especially doing Novice first time out the gate. Good to circle, nothing wrong with taking the time to bring your horse back to you.

Just out of curiosity, why start on Novice since it was his first time? Not criticizing at ALL just curious.

It's a valid question, not offended at all that you asked. He is a BIG horse (already over 17h) and when I started schooling him over natural fences the BN were actually more difficult for him to process. I don't think he knew WHAT he was supposed to do with them. So over the last 2 months or so I've been schooling him over mostly Nov with a few Tng mixed in and it seems to make more sense to him. He has a huge jump so the height is not a problem

With just that little bit more size he can get a good eyeful and understand what is expected. Really, the questions asked between BN and Nov are truly splitting hairs. Most horses will jump 3 ft from a standstill with no problem (not that we go for that intentionally!)

This was his first time putting an entire course together, 1st time over the trakhener, 1st time over the brush jump. He really did great. I blame myself for the faux pas at the out jump from the water. It was numbered separately and I could have (should have) circled around the island to let him settle and then approached.

Continued grid work and flat work will improve his straightness as well (which clearly is still a work in progress ) He is about 7 months in training now and I think he really is growing into something special (not that I'm biased)

And yeah, don't you just love the Chaka Khan hairstyle when the dressage braids come out?
    Last edited by ACMEeventing; Mar. 11, 2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: more info
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

Love this, I think that was a great outing or his first!!! Love how positive you are with him. You can tell it makes a difference in his performance
    No Worries!

Super cute horse! Congrats, looked like a fun course.

Original Poster

Thanks! He is definitely a cutie pie. I love how his brain processes things, just give him a chance to understand and he's all in.

Here he is during our crazy Carolina Horse Park snow day. Who couldn't love that face?

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...psbed95fb3.jpg
    Cotton would fight.

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm looking at my first foray into this eventing gig and I love to see other's firsts as well. He certainly is a cutie.

Otie is such a good boy! The jump coming out of the water that he glanced off was a difficult question for Novice so early in the season. You have such a soft, kind way of encouraging him. Very nice.

Thank you for posting. At least, I got to "see" some of the BN course and the CHP.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Original Poster

Thanks Auburn, he is a really good boy and learning so fast.

Sorry we didn't meet, maybe someday I'll show in your neck of the woods!
    Cotton would fight.

Woohoo! Great job and he looks like a big sweetie! Well done, very fun to watch. We're over in Aiken right now doing a little training with Nad Noon and having a blast. Not quite ready to hit the show ring.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Woohoo! Great job and he looks like a big sweetie! Well done, very fun to watch. We're over in Aiken right now doing a little training with Nad Noon and having a blast. Not quite ready to hit the show ring.
    Good Heavens, Man, I thought you'd fallen off the face of the Earth! How cool you're in Aiken, you should totally swing through NC on your way home. Seriously, how far out of the way could it be .

Hoping to see you guys at Rolex this year!
    Cotton would fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Good Heavens, Man, I thought you'd fallen off the face of the Earth! How cool you're in Aiken, you should totally swing through NC on your way home. Seriously, how far out of the way could it be .

Hoping to see you guys at Rolex this year!
    No, no, we're just doing our part as tiny cogs supporting the vast machinery of the USEA! Muck, work, ride, sleep, repeat. We actually head back up via Hotlanta, my favorite city ever to drive a horse trailer thru. NOT. Evansville is extreme SW Indiana. Rolex sounds great, the plan right now is to go, so at some point maybe Gryhrs and I can dazzle you with our spellbinding adventures in Aiken! Keep up the good work with Otie!

He's adorable, and you were such a kind ride for a green horse!

Love this! I can tell from the camera that your boy's canter JUST FLOATS!! He's gonna be a star. BUT he's too big for you - you should just send him to me. Right now. You are so calm and encouraging. Some of the footage just cracked me up.....think shadowy brush fence.
    Last edited by Gryhrs; Mar. 14, 2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: misspelling