The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is he really named Booker T. twice? As in, the cat has five names, or three names and two initials?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Keep his world small and underwhelming for the time being. He will come around. Best of luck and thanks for giving this cat a home!

I've had great experiences with feral cats giving them space up high where they can hide but still observe domestic life and join in as they pleased. Once a day I made them interact with me, basically just petting/grooming which is hard for them to resist.

I have a dog who was crated before he came to me - at least a few years. Dogs are different, but the idea of patience and gentle exposure to the big, wide world is the same. I have to accept that while I hate his crate and what it represents, the dog still seeks it out on rare occasion. I did take the door off though
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

He's home and doing well! We have Progress: Sunday he hid IN the box spring and would not come out. Yesterday he was under the bed and just sat there looking at me, I spent some time in his room just reading my book. This morning, he was on top of the bed when I went in, did not run away, and sniffed my hand. Yesterday I made the mistake of not announcing myself before I went into the room the first time, and he hissed at me. No hissing after a proper announcement, though.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

4 members found this post helpful.

Well at least he is making himself at home. I love getting hissed at in my own house, lol. Hopefully he is food motivated & he'll soon be eating from your hand

1 members found this post helpful.

That's actually really fast progress.

Pictures please
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Sounds like great progress to me! I love the hissing part! LOL!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Default HE PURRED!!

Last night he let me pat him. I scratched the usual good places - behind ears, cheeks - and he purred!! We repeated this morning. I am SO pleased!

8 members found this post helpful.

Yeah kitteh!! You go with your purring self! I'm so glad he found his forever home.

He's thawing out! You can't have a purr in a completely frozen cat-- everything is held still in the ice so nothing can vibrate.

I place great faith in cats' mental flexibility. After all, this is one domesticated animal that decided to live with us rather than things going the other way around. The ones who refused good treatment on principle didn't survive. You cat is the decendant of others smart enough to know a good deal when they saw it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

What terrific updates! So glad to hear! He really IS thawing quickly!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    He's thawing out! You can't have a purr in a completely frozen cat-- everything is held still in the ice so nothing can vibrate.
    So a completely frozen cat has achieved zero Kelvin? Only a cat!
    The Evil Chem Prof

More good stuff - he really likes his catnip mouse! Yesterday I made sure the other cats were all locked out of the upstairs, and I took him into the master bedroom where we cuddled on the bed for a while.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    So a completely frozen cat has achieved zero Kelvin? Only a cat!
    Yes. A merely unhappy cat is at 0 degrees. You gotta go down to -42 (or whatever) to get one that won't purr.

Also, in most animals you must thaw slowly as not all substances/tissues freeze at the same rate. You can get ice crystals in there that mess up MicroStructures. Maybe "flash freezing" prevents this? But I don't think this cat had the benefit of high-end cryogenic technology.
    Last edited by mvp; Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Well, I went too far too fast. Back to square one. Poor boy is just not ready for so much interaction. I am giving him the run of the upstairs today but will leave him alone.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Is he really named Booker T. twice? As in, the cat has five names, or three names and two initials?
    HA HA. I believe that she meant the first Booker T. as his "first name" The Booker T B...whatever is his FULL name. (As in hi, my name's Clint, Clint Eastwood - for example)
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Well, I went too far too fast. Back to square one. Poor boy is just not ready for so much interaction. I am giving him the run of the upstairs today but will leave him alone.
    Yeah, because when they thaw, not all parts defrost at the same rate. So unfrozen tissue next to the ice crystals left creates a rough edge.... in the ol' microscopic world.

In short, not your fault. And if you didn't chase him too hard, he'll continue in a safe defrost-- no half-way thing where he becomes a CryoZombie (the way Walt Disney has planned).

He's staying upstairs because heat rises and there's less noise up there which, if you pay attention to avalanches, screws up frozen things.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    he probably scared himself. he'll be back for more scritches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Given Booker T's history, I think you can expect setbacks. Hopefully each one will be better than the last, especially given that he re-discovered his cat self with you. You're doing a great job!