The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink It's a Vast Equine Conspiracy

How, HOW do they just "know" you have a clinic coming up?

Rode in a great dressage clinic back on Feb. 22nd. Loved it so much I signed up to ride with the same clinician this Saturday at another location. Rode the porkchop Saturday (we're just coming back into work after a year off since FINALLY acquiring a saddle that fits). She was a bit stiff going out on trail (not suprising... she's 15 and had been off so long) but worked out of it. Seemed NQR, tho, on downhills. Didn't do much since I do want to bring her back slowly , stayed on the flat of the trail and just walked (albeit, it's a "power walk" when we turn for home , gave her a good cool down & rub in with Sore No More.

Returned yesterday after church to ride and she was very off doing down the small hill in the pasture. Sound on level. Soooo, it's stifles. Le sigh. Darn Clyde-mama hocks.

Gave her some bute, rubbed in more Sore No More and left her loose in the large paddock to move, yet stay on level ground.

Will re-evaluate Thursday evening and determine if we need to scratch from Saturday's clinic lesson.

Anyone else have a horse "In On It?"
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Ya gotta take the calendar down out of the stall! (Pssst! You'll find it directly across from the TV, behind the Barcolounger!) Hope she feels better soon!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, we've been down that road. My gelding, who is on the lazy side, invariably goes lame just before a clinic with a particular clinician, when he's been sound for months before.

He also knows the guy's voice and has been known to hide in the back of his stall when the clinician walks into the barn.

A clinic with the guy is coming up in a month and my guy is currently sound but I don't dare tempt fate.

My sympathies...

1 members found this post helpful.

my daughters horse got cast but upon hearing that trainers voice managed to stand [likely ready to flee]
    more hay, less grain

I think they're like appliances... see, when you get money, never EVER say it anywhere near a major appliance. Never fails "Honey we got $300 back from our federal taxes." Grrrr.. Buzzz.... BANG - there goes the fridge.

So we need to not say the words "Clinic" or "Show" or "Trail Ride with the Girls" anywhere near our horses. They KNOW!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.