The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    It's just not acceptable. Period. (Lack of communication).
    You lack imagination. I can come up with plenty of scenarios where lack of communication is perfectly acceptable and often preferable. None would apply here...but because I can come up with these scenarios, you will not get me to say NEVER!
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    You lack imagination. I can come up with plenty of scenarios where lack of communication is perfectly acceptable and often preferable. None would apply here...but because I can come up with these scenarios, you will not get me to say NEVER!

I did not vanish, it was a planned break that she was well aware of and knew when I would be back. I told her to let me know what days worked for her schedule that I would like to lesson 2 days a week, she said Monday and Wednesday are perfect! I did not ask to be a priority but if things are scheduled I expect them to be kept. This trainer is not "overbooked" and therefore prioritizing, she blatantly scheduled something in my time slot after she had already given me the green light.

Well, OP, you need to find someone else to ride with.

45 minutes may seem like a long drive but if you really want lessons, it seems like that's what you'll have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NotherAlter View Post
    A little barn background. The barn I ride at is not large, in fact it's not even a "lesson" barn, the trainer takes in people as she has slots which is typically no more than 2 people at a time. She has a single horse which is boarded with her that is allowed to be used as a lesson horse, she owns none of her own. Daughter does ponies, she doesn't need horses.
    I was lessoning on a regular basis twice a week until I had to take a short hiatus. I started lessoning again recently(she had no one else in my slot still). I rode on a Wed and things went fine. The following Monday I tried to get in for a lesson, sorry he's not available. No biggie, I ask for next open day, come Wed after work. Get a text a 4:00 on Wed saying "I didn't know you were riding, I used Dobbins in lesson already"
    How did you not know I was riding? I scheduled the lesson with you. Then, on Wed I went out to the barn to talk to trainer and make sure we were on the same page for lessons, I was hoping to get myself prepped for showing this season.
    So it sounds like you are at a very small barn, and there were some crossed wires about lesson times. Have you only been back for one lesson so far?

Schedule Monday/Wednesday lessons for the forseeable future. Find out last night that it looks like she has scheduled to trailer out to another facility today for lessons with someone else, leaving me high and dry.
    So she has a group that is attending a clinic- which was presumably planned in advance (since I don't know any clinicians who take last minute placements). If she's offered this experience to her other students, I see no reason for her to cancel for a client who has only ridden once since her break. Yes, she is wrong for not telling you about the clinic, but I don't see this as relegating you to second tier as much as honoring previous commitments.

That's not even the best part though. Also find out, looks like it's going to rain today, so they've decided that Wednesday is the next possible day. So not only am I missing today but Wednesday too? Perhaps I'm being too sensitive here but I feel like I'm not a valued client at all. Largest problem is the horse industry isn't very large in my area, the nearest barns other than this place is 45+ minutes. I'm at a loss, do I divorce this trainer and just opt to wait until I can move? Or do I attempt again to communicate with this trainer? This situation isn't the first time, I feel like it won't be the last either.
    So the clinic can't run until Wed due to rain? And that's the trainer's fault? I am not sure that you can hold the weather against a trainer. These things happen....

Said lesson horse has absentee owners. He is only a lesson horse at the moment and is pretty much at disposal of trainer. Owners don't pay board since she gets to use him at her leisure. Even if I had my own horse I still would have gotten the short end of the stick since she scheduled something at a totally different barn. My trainer is taking her daughter and 2 other lesson students(one pony lesson girl and the other is the one that lessons on the same horse I do) to another facility for lessons. I pay for my lessons in full, the other person works off partial lessons, so if this were a business decision, I would hope that the client paying full price would get preference. However it seems that's not the case. In fact, she's not getting paid for these lessons at all since another trainer is giving them.
    Possibly the help she receives in trade for lessons is more valuable to her than cash, straight up. Aside from this clinic issue, has she proved flakey?

I did not vanish, it was a planned break that she was well aware of and knew when I would be back. I told her to let me know what days worked for her schedule that I would like to lesson 2 days a week, she said Monday and Wednesday are perfect! I did not ask to be a priority but if things are scheduled I expect them to be kept. This trainer is not "overbooked" and therefore prioritizing, she blatantly scheduled something in my time slot after she had already given me the green light.
    Are you sure that she didnt have this clinic scheduled first? It sounds like you have been back at this for two weeks since you hiatus... and that's really not long enough IMO to claim 'your time spot'.

FWIW, when I schedule lessons with someone for, say MWF at X time, we both know that at some point in the coming months something is going to come up (shows, routine vet appts, personal issues, etc) and it does not mean that I don't value my clients. The clinic is not the issue; communication is.

<snip>........This trainer is not "overbooked" and therefore prioritizing, she blatantly scheduled something in my time slot after she had already given me the green light.
    I think you answered your own question here! Move on she is trying to tell you something.

When I call a professional for something and they blow me off or do something like you said I take the hint.

Hire someone else.
    If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    I am in a show barn so lesson people who are not boarders are few and far between, with the exception of child beginners who use ponies. My horse is laid up temporarily, so I am not showing. I am therefore a low priority and would not dream of expecting to have a horse to ride. The juniors and pros at the barn ride all the "extra" horses and the barn gets paid for it. There are some very wealthy boarders and they come first. I love the trainer but don't expect her to bother with me while my horse is laid up. We are best friends, but it's just the way things are. Money talks, period. Can't blame her. She is spread thin enough as it is and she's one of the best. She will be there when I need her. Do I like being "second string"? Of course not. I just Deal. Trainers are everywhere, but this one wins.
    Juniors are riding "extra" horses (which I presume are horses whose owners are not coming out to ride on a given day) and the barn bills owners for that?

As for the OP, I don't think that any client who has BOOKED A TIME with the trainer and the horse shouldn't be a second stringer. Sure, it looks like this trainers main biz is her boarder ponies and the OP and the other rider of "Dobbin" are sideline income, but as Meupatdoes has stated, if you book a time, it should be yours unless an emergency comes up.
    Last edited by Linny; Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

I do not understand why people are on the trainer's side here.

The trainer SCHEDULED a lesson on Monday for the OP. You think she would have known that she had a clinic on that day and not scheduled the lesson. So either she's forgetful and totally forgot she was going to load a horse on a trailer on that day or the clinic came up at the last minute and the trainer decides to ditch the OP.

Regardless of what happened, the trainer didn't bother to notify the OP personally (either via text, facebook message, or God Forbid an actually phone call). OP learned by a general barn FB post.

If the OP had a history of disappearing and reappearing I understand the trainer respectfully and professionally asking the OP to move elsewhere. However, it seems like this is the first time the OP had to stop riding for a short period of time and she gave the trainer notice. Not only that, but she spoke with the trainer about being back in the program.

It doesn't really matter how important or not important the OP is, I'd want an apology and a darn good explanation for ditching the OP's lesson or I'd be outta there.

OP, I would contact your trainer, let them know that you had an agreed upon scheduled lesson that was cancelled without notification and you would like to know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Juniors are riding "extra" horses (which I presume are horses whose owners are not coming out to ride on a given day) and the barn bills owners for that?
    p.

I knew a trainer who would charge people for training rides on their horses and the training ride would consist of a lesson student, who was also paying for the lesson. Very clever.

@OP: You have been given a lot of really good advice in these 3 pages. Goldilocks said it very well in that the trainer is telling you something indirectly.

I had an experience once in the past where I was taking lessons from a trainer with a very small program. She was semi-retired and focusing on a few horses and clients. I expressed an interest in getting more rides in to prepare for purchasing a horse. We eventually came up with some options for extra rides, but I never could get any of this person's time to even discuss basic things like commission structure and paying for her time to help me find something suitable. Meanwhile I see other students who came right out and said they had no budget to buy get more riding time, extra perks, etc. Who knows whether or not they had some other arrangements going on. It was really none of my beeswax. However, in spite of that I still expected, as a paying and very regular client, to be able to have some of my trainer's time for these other things. Nothing ever panned out with discussions, the trainer was always running here or there, always too busy to talk even for 5-10 minutes. This went on for a couple of months. Then I finally took the hint and told her that I was going to take a break from lessons while I evaluated my situation. A few months later I got a call saying she had found a horse and I needed to take a look at it before it got sold. Well by that time I had already moved on.

I'm much happier now because I have a trainer who is a better match for what I want to do and who clearly has a very vested interest in my success. Our results in the show ring support that too and I also own a very nice horse that has received some very nice comments from upper level riders.

Some people in the equine industry do not have good business sense. The trainer I referred to earlier didn't try to initiate good selling tactics until she realized that she had lost the sale! If Wall Street operated this way, we'd be a 3rd world country. Go look around and find something that isn't as restrictive as this person's program seems to be.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I knew a trainer who would charge people for training rides on their horses and the training ride would consist of a lesson student, who was also paying for the lesson. Very clever.
    Very common unfortunately. I've seen trainers lose clients because of it and still continue to do it.

@ponypenny: That is why there are very few people I would consider sending a horse to for training.

So just to recap....

Regardless of "who's side you're on", the consensus is that it's time to find another lesson barn.